Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2020 2:53:47 PM EDT
I know there is no such thing as a “universal” powder, and that rifle powder is in its own class. But I am looking at what’s available locally for sale for shotgun and handgun, especially in today’s market. Locally there is Alliant Promo, Red Dot and Claydot in 8# canisters. What I would consider an unlimited supply.

I have used all three for 12 gauge reloading extensively, but not in handgun. The Alliant website lists no handgun loads for Promo and Clay Dot, and very few for Red Dot. Various editions of the Speer and Hornady manuals lists quite a few acceptable loads for Red Dot for 9mm, ,38 spl, .357 mag, .40S&W and .45 acp.

Powder is fresh, and all is priced at $130 per canister. For average loads a canister will deliver approximately 3000 shotgun loads or 14,000 handgun loads. Also know that the pistol primer market is tight right now.

What experiences are there with Red Dot, both good and bad, in handgun loading?

Link Posted: 8/9/2020 3:06:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 3:42:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I load twelve cartridges.  For one I use IMR 4831, for all others I use Varget, Unique, or black, these cover all my needs.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 5:35:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

#1 universal powder is Unique, yes rifle loads also at reduced power.

#2 is Red Dot. A great shotgun and pistol powder. I use it with my home cast powder coated bullets.

Google "the load with Red Dot", should find the work of CE Harris. Many loads with rifle, reduced power of course.

what you get;  THE LOAD

Go to Alliants site for Red Dot data, also request a free handloaders guide, I have several of the older ones and a new one coming.

Stock up on Red Dot, I did.
View Quote

Thanks for the link to “The Load”. Been wanting to reduce loads for various .30 caliber rifles, but have been looking from the standard rifle powder standpoint. Guess I need to buy bullet molds in rifle calibers now.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 7:37:45 PM EDT
[#4]
After doing a little searching, it seems promo is a good replacement for Red Dot. Use Red Dot load data.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 8:02:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I know there is no such thing as a “universal” powder, and that rifle powder is in its own class. But I am looking at what’s available locally for sale for shotgun and handgun, especially in today’s market. Locally there is Alliant Promo, Red Dot and Claydot in 8# canisters. What I would consider an unlimited supply.

I have used all three for 12 gauge reloading extensively, but not in handgun. The Alliant website lists no handgun loads for Promo and Clay Dot, and very few for Red Dot. Various editions of the Speer and Hornady manuals lists quite a few acceptable loads for Red Dot for 9mm, ,38 spl, .357 mag, .40S&W and .45 acp.

Powder is fresh, and all is priced at $130 per canister. For average loads a canister will deliver approximately 3000 shotgun loads or 14,000 handgun loads. Also know that the pistol primer market is tight right now.

What experiences are there with Red Dot, both good and bad, in handgun loading?

View Quote

My experience with red dot is that it is absolutely filthy.  So much so that I feel it should never be used in gas operated Semi auto shotguns. It’s tolerable in Over and unders.  The Lyman manual does show a lot of lite target loads.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 11:35:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 11:37:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 11:50:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/LgEk472l.jpg

Welcome to your next rabbit hole.

https://i.imgur.com/E8lojFFl.jpg

With casting comes powder coating to avoid the lube and the mess and the leading.
View Quote

Already looking at casting supplies, but that avenue of the shooting sports seems to have dried up for new and used equipment. I’ve got about 2100 pounds of assorted pure and alloyed lead, and was going to get into casting upon retirement. Lee molds available, but Lyman brand sold out everywhere for the rifle design I’m looking for. Same with sizing dies and gas checks.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 11:54:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 5:45:39 PM EDT
[#10]
A while back I went through & looked up loads in my manuals & what I could find online that worked in the most calibers I load for & a couple I plan to start loading for.  It's still a work in progress.  Hope the link works.  You'll probably have to zoom out a bit to read though.

https://s.docworkspace.com/d/AMACg9L-n4NA4Iv-zKSdFA
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 5:50:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Titegroup should get an honorable mention.

You can run it in nearly every handgun cartridge, all sorts of shotgun, and it has a pretty good selection of reduced loads for rifles.

Bonus, it's one of the most economical powders available if that's a thing you care about.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 10:19:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I have been using Hodgdon Universal for all my 380, 9mm, 9mm Largo, 40S&W, and 45 ammo. Universal might not be the best powder for those calibers but it works for my range ammo, plus a 8 pound jug will last quite a while. I have been thinking about trying Universal for 38 Special.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 9:46:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Picked up a canister of Red Dot yesterday. New labeling proclaiming cleaner burning and ‘Made in the USA’. Did Alliant set up their own powder mill, or is it contracted from somewhere like St. Marks powder?
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 10:08:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top