User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 6:57:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Something I did on mine that I really like is a mounting plate. Get a square of 3/4" aluminum and drill and tap holes for all of your equipment. Mount the plate to the top, or better yet recess it flush. Buy winged screws in the right sizes to fit the holes. Then you can easily mount and remove presses, trimmers, etc. as needed instead of having to work around them if permanently mounted.
View Quote
That's essentially what the Inline Fab quick change mount is.

Link Posted: 9/3/2020 7:04:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Regarding the carpet...

1) I'll be putting down a padded mat since I'll be standing.
2) I'll also be putting a tub of some sort underneath, to catch the whatevers.
3) I've not thought about the brass trimming yet since I'm using new brass. Likely will set that up in the shed outside, when it becomes time. My tumbler setup is in the outdoor shed.

Link Posted: 9/3/2020 7:09:44 PM EDT
[#3]
You need to beef up the top for the work bench.  I started my reloading bench with a similar product.  The wooden top will soon split after you mount a press on it and repeatedly cycle the ram.  I know from first hand experience.  I'd suggest about an inch of plywood, or a  bottom layer of OSB, and a 1/2 inch layer of plywood on top, glued together with carpenters glue, and bolted to the metal base.  Even small bolts will work - I drilled holes around the exterior edge of the work surface, through the metal lip that the top rests on, and used bolts on the bottom.  Countersunk the machine screws into the top so I still had a flat work surface.  If you use two boards to form the top, you can extend the top board over the front edge of the work bench, to give the ram on your press clearance from the front side of the work bench.  Otherwise, it might drag.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 8:45:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 3:26:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Here's the Inline Fab quick change setup. Rock solid. Need to put the adapter on the Rockchucker. The drawer doesn't close all the way because of the front thru bolts. I'll trim it up with a hacksaw and it should close completely.
View Quote

Get some T-nuts from Home Depot or Lowes, and get some shorter bolts to go with them.  The shank of the T-nut will be embedded in the bottom side of the counter and will be out of the way.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 3:58:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Get some T-nuts from Home Depot or Lowes, and get some shorter bolts to go with them.  The shank of the T-nut will be embedded in the bottom side of the counter and will be out of the way.
View Quote
Excellent!

Link Posted: 9/9/2020 6:27:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Does the bench seem sturdy, any wobble.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 6:55:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Does the bench seem sturdy, any wobble.
View Quote
It is definitely sturdy but has a little wobble because it's standing on carpet. I reloaded 500 rounds of 9mm today with a few issues but I don't think it's related to a wobble.

I'll figure a way to tie one of the back legs to a wall stud and that should solve the wobble.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 7:07:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It is definitely sturdy but has a little wobble because it's standing on carpet. I reloaded 500 rounds of 9mm today with a few issues but I don't think it's related to a wobble.

I'll figure a way to tie one of the back legs to a wall stud and that should solve the wobble.
View Quote

Thanks, I am currently setting mine up. I'm deciding between 2 locations to put it.

I was wondering about mounting it to the wall myself. I saw it mentioned in another thread, to mount the bench to the studs with a couple of l brackets, from the underside of the top.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 11:24:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 7:08:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
All wobble, flexing and movement need to be addressed if you want your progressive to perform correctly.

Incontinent powder charges, primers sideways, upside down are due the movement of your bench.

Also load up the bottom shelf with bullets, lead, cases, you know the heavy stuff.

My bench is lag screwed to the wall studs. A bench can never be too strong.
View Quote

Do you think 2 L brackets on the bench top going in to studs would work.

The legs of the bench are not flush with the back, so lag screws won't work.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 8:48:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Do you think 2 L brackets on the bench top going in to studs would work.

The legs of the bench are not flush with the back, so lag screws won't work.
View Quote
Attach 2 boards horizontally to the wall that fill the gap in between the bench and wall, ie 1x4 or 2x4. Then attach the bench to the boards.

Link Posted: 9/10/2020 12:21:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 12:52:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Lag screws, I use 1/4 inch with washers to go from L bracket to wall stud. 2 1/2 inches long.

Drill a 3/16 starter hole for a 1/4 lag screw. Or not if you want to struggle.

How you attach L bracket to bench depends on the legs and the size of the L brackets.

Maybe a spacer block will be needed between wall and bench leg.

Attaching L bracket to bench leg can be done with #10 metal or wood screws.

For a 6 inch long piece of L bracket I would use 2 lag screws/washers and 6 or so #10 screws/with washers. That's one side.

Just general directions, due to not having eyes on your bench.
View Quote

Thanks,

The one I have is the same as the op without the pegboard and draw.

Link Posted: 9/10/2020 2:25:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 2:35:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Make spacer block to fir between leg and wall, screw spacer into leg of bench.

Lag bolt L bracket to wall studs, other side of L bracket gets screwed into side of spacer block that was previously screwed to leg.

View Quote

Thanks for the help.

I am going to try and set it up this weekend. I just have to finish clearing out the area where I'm putting it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 5:16:34 PM EDT
[#17]
My bench has a big pegboard over it for tools and such.  It's mounted on 2x4s width-wise.  Since the mounts hold the bench top away from the wall, I fastened a 2x4 cleat to the wall behind my bench, then screwed the bench into the cleat.  It's solid as a rock.  This may be more rugged than L-brackets, and I think it'll be simpler.

Link Posted: 9/10/2020 11:19:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 12:00:04 AM EDT
[#19]
I built my own bench with 2x4 with these brackets and 2x6 for the top and peg board across the back, with a shelf underneath.

I used 4- 6ft 2x6 so it makes the bench like 21" by 60"

I live in a small apartment and used a miter box hand saw and drill to build.

I would take a pic but my place is a mess
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 9:05:42 AM EDT
[#20]
I meant to fix my bench to the wall this past weekend, but a case of the lazys.

Link Posted: 10/14/2020 11:10:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I meant to fix my bench to the wall this past weekend, but a case of the lazys.
View Quote
If you have a lower shelf, a large supply of boxes of bullets will add as much stability as you want to buy.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 11:57:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If you have a lower shelf, a large supply of boxes of bullets will add as much stability as you want to buy.
View Quote

I have at least a hundred pounds of bullets.

Link Posted: 10/14/2020 1:59:37 PM EDT
[#23]
I have carpet in my reloading room. It’s fine. I’ve never had an issue. Been reloading almost daily for 7+ years.

I’d definitely secure it to the wall. A wobbly bench for reloading is not preferred. Get it as stiff as possible. I actually build my benches into the wall framing.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 8:50:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Can someone with the Seville HD bench provide some pics of their top shelf (In the assembly guide the Top Cantilever shelf). I either have this put together wrong, or as I suspect I have the wrong piece for it.

You can see the back wall isnt flush with the shelf. I think the rivets on the back wall are actually on the wrong side of the wall....I think the rivets should be on the same side as the u hook that goes over the vertical supports of the pegboard.

Can someone who has one of these shelves chime in here?
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 9:38:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Can someone with the Seville HD bench provide some pics of their top shelf (In the assembly guide the Top Cantilever shelf). I either have this put together wrong, or as I suspect I have the wrong piece for it.

https://i.imgur.com/fKwaGVt.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/zktlScZ.jpg?1https://i.imgur.com/Esn6cM4.jpg?1

You can see the back wall isnt flush with the shelf. I think the rivets on the back wall are actually on the wrong side of the wall....I think the rivets should be on the same side as the u hook that goes over the vertical supports of the pegboard.

Can someone who has one of these shelves chime in here?
View Quote

Any chance you used the wrong bolts?
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 9:49:07 PM EDT
[#26]
buy a full sheet of 3/4 premium hardwood plywood. Cut to fit the top of you bench maybe add an inch in all directions. Then cut a strip to screw into the studs. Bolt your bench into the studs or into the strips that screwed in. Simple, easy and a sturdy bench is very important.

Dont forget you never have too many LED lights to keep everything well defined.

Good loading and shooting.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 10:24:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Any chance you used the wrong bolts?
View Quote
Fuck. No, but you did get me to re-read the directions. Damn back wall goes on the other side of the lip of the lower shelf....Fucking massive derp....
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top