Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2020 10:51:46 AM EDT
99% sure it's my technique but I'm giving it another try.

Before I was shaking/baking in my garage until I read about folks getting better coverage in a cool space so I swirled(w/o bbs today)inside the house(72*). I can see already we have a poor coverage issue, again. I've heard of recoating but I disremember if that's after baking or not.

These boolits were water quenched immediately after casting, in case that matters.

I have five minutes to decide whether I want to water quench these after baking so if you want to weigh in on that be quick.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 11:01:11 AM EDT
[#1]
No quench it is. Towel cooling after round 3 of Bellator.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 11:01:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
99% sure it's my technique but I'm giving it another try.

Before I was shaking/baking in my garage until I read about folks getting better coverage in a cool space so I swirled(w/o bbs today)inside the house(72*). I can see already we have a poor coverage issue, again. I've heard of recoating but I disremember if that's after baking or not.

These boolits were water quenched immediately after casting, in case that matters.

I have five minutes to decide whether I want to water quench these after baking so if you want to weigh in on that be quick.

Thanks
View Quote

I water quench everything I cast, and have good coverage.

I smelt, cast, and coat on cold winter days. ( low humidity )

Are you using "smokes" powder from cast boolits ?

/
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 11:07:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes sir. The boolits were quenched coming out of the mold.

I'll get pics up although these look just as bad as my first boolits.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 11:11:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I stand corrected; these are much worse than my first since I couldn't locate my hemostats for placement!

No pics since these are so embarrasking!

I will reswirl these after removing the leftovers from my cottage cheese container.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 11:44:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Are you handling the boolits bare handed before costing?

My best results come from wearing gloves when handling the bullets (to prevent oils from getting on bookits) and letting my powder stay in my house for at least 30 minutes before coating (low humidity to aid static charge)
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 12:13:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Used fangers the first time today but some of the boolits in the tupperware that weren't touched had big gaps in coverage.

Powder is kept indoors.

I reswirled previously PC'd and will check momentarily.

I'm a bit frazzled as a buddy texted me saying he's selling his 650 w/bullet feeder, do I know anyone. I'm really torn now!

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 12:31:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I stopped using needle nose to pick them up

I found that harbor freight nirtile gloves work well

how about some pics ?

Link Posted: 8/9/2020 1:28:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 1:31:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 1:33:34 PM EDT
[#10]
UH does it again, just as I was about to do some skeet shooting in the back yard!

These look much better than all the previous attempts. I have another batch that are double coated once baked. I'll get a pic of those shortly.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 1:42:43 PM EDT
[#11]
It takes about 10 minutes for the pic to get to my email on my computer. Yeah we got some crappy signal here.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 1:57:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 1:58:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 3:30:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 4:00:14 PM EDT
[#15]
I was wondering how much the humidity would effect the PC sticking. I’ve been doing it in the basement, it is unfinished but air conditioned. I get ok results. We have a dehumidifier but I never thought to start it up this summer.
What is it that I see as a liner on the tray you guys are using when PC’ing? I’ve been using non stick AL foil. Seems to work ok.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 4:05:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:...
What is it that I see as a liner on the tray you guys are using when PC’ing? I’ve been using non stick AL foil. Seems to work ok.
View Quote

I use ebay silicone baking sheets

Link Posted: 8/10/2020 12:05:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 12:16:14 AM EDT
[#18]
You're the one! Got it. I'll order some tomorrow.

Dryflash, et al, if you look at my coated twice baked twice(the good looking, at least best looking I've done)boolits the coverage looks complete like most everyone else's here. Are everyone else's done in a single coat/bake sequence

I don't mind the time, being unemployed mostly I got plenty of it.

The main issue is the boolits are .362(sample of one). From there I'm unsure if I should run them through a .356 sizer or maybe .358(so I'd have it for .357 boolits)?
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 2:19:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 10:39:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Aiming for 9mm.

All I've shot is my g17 w/LWD barrel and I have a lot of coated boolits loaded up so I probably need to try them in some of my other 9s before I make too many changes.

I will order a .358 sizer next.

Thnanks dryflash
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 5:46:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Yellows generally cover poorly. Smokes Carolina Blue, Gloss Black, and Clear have proven themselves many times over.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 7:21:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Aiming for 9mm.

All I've shot is my g17 w/LWD barrel and I have a lot of coated boolits loaded up so I probably need to try them in some of my other 9s before I make too many changes.

Thnanks dryflash
View Quote

My Lone Wolf barrel for my G17 (Polymer 80 actually) slugged at .3555 so I’ve been sizing to .357. Mine has a tight chamber as do most from my research. I bought Lee dies and resized brass would not plunk in the chamber. Had to get a RCBS set and they size small enough. I thought about sending it back to LW to have the chamber resized.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 10:28:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Bummer Bashby!

My LWD is tight but once I sized them on a single stage with Lee dies they all drop in my barrel lickety split.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 10:53:30 PM EDT
[#24]
That sounds weird.

Are your Lee dies new? Mine are ancient, like mid 90s.

By the way, I came up with that same measurement by using my calipers.

I wouldn't grind on that barrel if I were you. Do you have a case gage, or access to one? I'd get a second opinion before I chopped anything.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 6:51:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
That sounds weird.

Are your Lee dies new? Mine are ancient, like mid 90s.

By the way, I came up with that same measurement by using my calipers.

I wouldn't grind on that barrel if I were you. Do you have a case gage, or access to one? I'd get a second opinion before I chopped anything.
View Quote

My Lee dies are new. I don’t have a case gauge.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 8:54:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Do you still have your original glock barrel?

I think i mentioned I've only fired my cast/coated boolits in my LWD barrel. Dryflash said he makes sure his rounds in all his guns and I'm thinking I need to take that to heed before I start double coating everything.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 5:58:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Do you still have your original glock barrel?

I think i mentioned I've only fired my cast/coated boolits in my LWD barrel. Dryflash said he makes sure his rounds in all his guns and I'm thinking I need to take that to heed before I start double coating everything.
View Quote

I still have the other barrel. It isn’t OEM Glock, it came with the build kit I bought from Rockey Brass. I don’t know who made it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 9:12:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

My Lone Wolf barrel for my G17 (Polymer 80 actually) slugged at .3555 so I’ve been sizing to .357. Mine has a tight chamber as do most from my research. I bought Lee dies and resized brass would not plunk in the chamber. Had to get a RCBS set and they size small enough. I thought about sending it back to LW to have the chamber resized.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Aiming for 9mm.

Thnanks dryflash

Bashby, why not save the cash and use the RCBS die if you like how they work. I'm a notorius cheap bastard so take anything I say with a grain of salt. It's all about keeping cash in my pocket. As long as your loads work in all your weapons you are good. I figure if mine run in an LWD barrel the  I'm good.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 9:12:57 PM EDT
[#29]
I did get the .358 sizer and it does size them at .357.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 9:44:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Bashby, why not save the cash and use the RCBS die if you like how they work. I'm a notorius cheap bastard so take anything I say with a grain of salt. It's all about keeping cash in my pocket. As long as your loads work in all your weapons you are good. I figure if mine run in an LWD barrel the  I'm good.
View Quote

About 25% of my finished rounds won’t plunk in the LW barrel. It’s kind of a long story... I’ve got a thread or 2 going about it. My expander puts a small bulge in the case and it makes some of them not chamber.

ETA: forgot what site I was on, I am also a member at castboolits.com, I have a few threads there trying to get my P80 running on cast.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 9:54:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I did get the .358 sizer and it does size them at .357.
View Quote

What are you measuring them with? I’ve got a 358 and a 357 Lee sizer and with the PC’d boolits I’ve run through them, they have sized near exactly 358 and 357 with a micrometer.

Attachment Attached File

My plastic dial caliper measuring the same bullet.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 11:00:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 10:06:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Bashby, you have much better tools than I.

Thanks dryflash.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 11:05:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Bashby, you have much better tools than I.

Thanks dryflash.
View Quote

That 0-1” micrometer was less than $25 on Amazon.
Here is a link.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 5:43:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Thanks Bashby
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 5:48:06 PM EDT
[#36]
So sorry Bashby, but I missed the first part of your post which was a question. I'm using a caliper i bought in the mid 90s when I first began to reload.

Gotta go; I'm gonna coast some better colors before chowtime.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 6:21:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Believe it or not, John Deere green covers much less than signal yellow. The bag of green turned into a brick in my house where it never gets above 75*. Swirled twice for 33 seconds two times. Still baking now but I'm done for the night now.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 7:33:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 7:36:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Not too bad for me.

The only thing I can think of that I'm doing wrong is I'm using a tub with an almost 90* side to bottom ration, as opposed to the roundy one from cool whip. I guess I'll get cool whip and some oil for tomorrow's grocery trip!
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 12:02:33 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 7:44:04 AM EDT
[#41]
I thought you were using a brass rod. I can come up with dowels all day long.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 11:15:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 2:00:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Make sure to not put too much powder in the jar to tumble. Believe it or not the powder can wear out. Use just enough to coat them and that's it. If you have a powder that does not like to stick mix in some clear powder if you have it. It covers better than any other powder. The swirling is what you need also. Shaking just wears the powder down.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 7:50:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Thanks tommee'. I'm concentrating on doing that now. Next I have to cast as I'm out of boolits. I'll load up some rounds and see how they shoot and report back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top