Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2020 1:32:21 AM EDT
I was wondering if you guys resize pulled 223 bullets?
Some of them have pull marks on them.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 4:02:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 6:54:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I had a batch that had some that were out of round and required sizing. Of course I caught it after I’d loaded a bunch and had to pull down a couple hundred 5.7x28.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 7:42:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Pulled bullets are safe, but inaccurate.  The process of pulling the bullets squeezes the tip making the ogive of the bullets terribly inconsistent.  As a result, bullets enter the lands at different times causing different pressures, hence lousy accuracy.

I bought pulled bullets once, and decided that savings on cost didn't offset the lousy accuracy I got from them.  (I measured the ogives, that is how I learned what the problem was)
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 9:19:24 AM EDT
[#4]
If the pulled marks are very slight, there may be little or no difference in accuracy. You'll just have to try a few in your gun to find out. The bullets can't really be resized.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 9:20:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought  2K of pulled bullets that were cheap because they were out of round. Picked up a LEE bullet sizing die and ran them through it.
brought them back to round. Since the bulk of my shooting is function testing, accuracy is a secondary consideration to me.  If all you want is plinking ammo then pulled bullets are fine.  The die cost twenty bucks back then.  I also got one for 30 cal pulled bullets.

Lee Sizing Die

Link Posted: 8/10/2020 2:26:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No.

The pull marks don't matter to the load other than maybe accuracy.

Safe to shoot as is.

These aren't oblong or out of round right?
View Quote

Some of them run out about a.001 to .0015 just about where the cannelure is.

They are m856 pulled bullets.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 3:30:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 8:55:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I had a batch that had some that were out of round and required sizing. Of course I caught it after I’d loaded a bunch and had to pull down a couple hundred 5.7x28.
View Quote

Yeah, mine were .223 62 grain FMJ bullets.  Still have a container I need to go through, pull bullets, resize and reload.

Out of round enough some won't chamber.  I should have noticed when I was handling them/putting in the case mouths.

Bought one of the Lee .224 bullet sizing dies/kits and used the alox resizing lube.  Worked great.  Used some paint thinner to get the lube off the bullets.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 12:35:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Thank you all very much for your help and suggestions!
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 1:36:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Loaded tons of 855 pulls from hi tech back in the day - never did anything other than sort them by length.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 10:25:13 AM EDT
[#11]
No.  As always,  running NATO+ pressure with rejected components is ill advised; as is making this your 600 yard Camp Perry competition choice.  

But otherwise running them at .223 pressure and they'll shoot fine, and out of round becomes back in round real quick.  

In my experience, if it fits, it ships.  Careful inspection for signs of elevated pressure even with warm loads, never revealed any issues.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 12:48:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
No.  As always,  running NATO+ pressure with rejected components is ill advised; as is making this your 600 yard Camp Perry competition choice.  

But otherwise running them at .223 pressure and they'll shoot fine, and out of round becomes back in round real quick.  

In my experience, if it fits, it ships.  Careful inspection for signs of elevated pressure even with warm loads, never revealed any issues.
View Quote

Ran all mine at 5.56 pressures without issue.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top