Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2020 8:27:30 AM EDT
**I placed this same post in the armory general forum I am new here and had no idea there was a forum site dedicated for reloader specific question**

Hey, guys, I need your opinion I want to purchase a progressive press. I am specifically interested in buying a Dillon 550 model, on their site the kit for the 550C set up for the .223/5.556 cal. it comes with the basics to get started and the price tag is currently at 800 dollars.

My friend offered to sell me his Dillon 550B that he has had for 10 years, and has seen about 2,000 - 3,000 rounds made. He told me he would sell me his set that contains the following:
- Caliber Conversion Sets

-Carbide die sets for 223, 9mm, 45acp, 380acp,45LC, & 460 S & W. With all case gauges

-All powder bar assemblies.

-Dillon strong mount

-Manual and original box it came in.

All for $700.00

I like this deal but the one thing that keeps on the fence is how old it is like I mentioned it is 10 years old. It has no signs of rust or damage, so what do you guys think? is it worth the money? or should I just buy the basic kit  that comes with the newest model press?

Link Posted: 8/7/2020 8:43:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I have the 550B for I don't know how many years.  I have actually worn out/broke from stress major structural parts.  Contacted Dillon, sent a picture, got new replacement parts free.  Did notice that the new parts were slightly different from the old ones, reinforced in the areas which were weak.  I would go with the deal with all the extra dies.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 8:45:32 AM EDT
[#2]
If you have use for the conversion s, it is a fair price.  You don't say if it comes with dies, which of course are a significant cost factor as would be additional tool heads which make the caliber changes quick and repeatable.  Don't worry about the age as Dillon continues to support all their non electronic units with a no bs warranty.  I run two 550's, one of which I bought new about 1986 and the other bought used  about 2000.  One was returned to Dillon for rebuild 20+ years ago.  Both units have loaded multiple thousands of rounds.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 8:50:17 AM EDT
[#3]
The old one will continue to make thousands of rounds.

I have 2 550Bs' one a 1990's vintage the other one about 2008.Both of them continue to crank out the rounds.

BTW Dillon support is top notch so don't fear the old press.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 9:26:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Good morning, thank you for the advice.

Yes it does come with different die sets these are the sets that come with the reloader:

Carbide die sets for 223, 9mm, 45acp, 380acp,45LC, & 460 S & W.  It also comes with the conversion kits and gauges.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 9:30:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have the 550B for I don't know how many years.  I have actually worn out/broke from stress major structural parts.  Contacted Dillon, sent a picture, got new replacement parts free.  Did notice that the new parts were slightly different from the old ones, reinforced in the areas which were weak.  I would go with the deal with all the extra dies.
View Quote

Thank you, according to what I have read about reviews, it seems that there have been some changes to reinforce some items. I will most likely buy it, I want to use it to make .223/5.56 rounds and also make some 9mm rounds and who knows maybe in the future some .45 cal which he has included die sets to those and other calibers.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 9:47:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Age of the press is no issue

Big question for me is
How many powder drops is coming with the press?

The main value of that press is the ability to pull two pins and have a different set of dies ready to go.  

Each set of regular use dies should have their own powder drop. Otherwise you are losing one of advantages of the 550, quick caliber change.

Price is fair only if you will use all those dies.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 10:10:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah the used one is a deal.  See if you can score anything else like a scale or case cleaner.  Welcome to Arfcom.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 11:04:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Age of the press is no issue

Big question for me is
How many powder drops is coming with the press?

The main value of that press is the ability to pull two pins and have a different set of dies ready to go.  

Each set of regular use dies should have their own powder drop. Otherwise you are losing one of advantages of the 550, quick caliber change.

Price is fair only if you will use all those dies.
View Quote

This. The extra dies should be installed in tooheads, preferably with powder measures.

Attachment Attached File

If all you are getting are loose die sets, that's not nearly the same value.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 11:11:04 AM EDT
[#9]
They will last you a life time and if it doesn't call Dillon CS and they will make it right

1st one i purchased in 91.. Loaded over 100,000 rounds on it ..Only issue was one of the powder measure i lost the white square piece and they sent me a couple for free..

I purchase a second one last year used.. so i could use one for large primer and small primer with out changed them out when i moved from small primer /large

I also purchased a square deal last year also after i sold my first one in 94 .. I like dillon press..

Next will be two 750's
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 11:32:58 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a 550b I bought in the early 90s, not sure when. untold amounts of ammo have been made on it, it runs like a sewing machine.  mine is set up for 9mm, 45acp. 44 mag, & .223.   any breakages have been taken care of under warranty, which apparently is damn forever.
so OP, I`d say buy it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 11:40:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Buy the old one.

If there are die sets and conversions you know you won’t use, just sell those in the EE and reinvest the money in sets you will use or pocket the money and lower your true cost of the press.  

do it!
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 12:57:53 PM EDT
[#12]
1995 RL 550b and that’s not a bad price in these times.

Buy it and be free...free I tell you!

Chris
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 1:06:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Carbide die sets for 223, 9mm, 45acp, 380acp,45LC, & 460 S & W.  
View Quote

If those are all Dillon dies, then in my opinion it's worth it.

The Dillon 223 carbide dies are $189 from Dillon new.

So figure a new 550 with 1 conversion is $500.

Then each additional is $50.

Plus dies, if all Dillon, $70 to $180. per set.

Odds and ends, additional tool heads, powder measures, stands, case gauges. Could be a bit extra.

So in my opinion, you are getting a decent deal. Depending on if you are getting additional powder measures and tool heads and stands. or just dies in a box and 1 tool head.

Link Posted: 8/7/2020 1:08:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Buy it.  10 yrs is nothing.  One of mine is over 15 and operates as new.

Link Posted: 8/7/2020 1:10:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
**I placed this same post in the armory general forum I am new here and had no idea there was a forum site dedicated for reloader specific question**

Hey, guys, I need your opinion I want to purchase a progressive press. I am specifically interested in buying a Dillon 550 model, on their site the kit for the 550C set up for the .223/5.556 cal. it comes with the basics to get started and the price tag is currently at 800 dollars.

My friend offered to sell me his Dillon 550B that he has had for 10 years, and has seen about 2,000 - 3,000 rounds made. He told me he would sell me his set that contains the following:

-Carbide die sets for 223, 9mm, 45acp, 380acp,45LC, & 460 S & W. With all case gauges

-Dillon strong mount

All for $700.00

I like this deal but the one thing that keeps on the fence is how old it is like I mentioned it is 10 years old. It has no signs of rust or damage, so what do you guys think? is it worth the money? or should I just buy the basic kit  that comes with the newest model press?

View Quote

New 550c: $509.99

Carbide die sets:

.223 $179.99

Pistol carts: $75.99 ea.

460?

Strong mount:

$59.99

Case gauges:

.223: $29.99

Others: $17.99.ea.

Plus S/H

Chris
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 1:10:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 3:49:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This. The extra dies should be installed in tooheads, preferably with powder measures.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/72701/s-l300_jpg-1536356.JPG

If all you are getting are loose die sets, that's not nearly the same value.
View Quote

After checking it out today, yes it does come like that.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 3:52:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/QaEzyVr.jpg
View Quote

That's a sweet looking setup!!
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 3:54:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Unlike other reloading equipment Dillon presses retain 80% of their new value for life.

Two reasons, quality of the press and the lifetime warranty if something breaks.

Yes get your friends press with all the extras.

What you will need besides the press is;

A powder scale, to set powder measure
Caliper to measure everything
Reloading manual, I suggest Lyman 50.

Ensure you have the manual for the press, if not download from Dillon Precision.

Has step by step  instructions on setup and use of press.

Welcome to Arfcom and the Reloading Forum.
View Quote

Thank you! Yes, I think I am going to buy it!
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 3:54:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

After checking it out today, yes it does come like that.
View Quote

Don’t wait... go buy it!

Ask if you can buy any primers while you’re there!!
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 4:59:03 PM EDT
[#21]
OK, Definitely buy it.

Was just checking eBay and found this, it's a 550B with Strong Mount, 1 powder measure and 8 conversions. It is getting $700 on eBay. Then you still have dies and all the other extras, so yeah, you're getting a good deal.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dillon-550-with-8-conversion-kits-50ae-223-30car-9-38super-41-45lc-38spl-10-40sw/324247655854?hash=item4b7eaa95ae:g:~aYAAOSwTJ1fJYtS
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 6:51:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

-Dillon strong mount

All for $700.00

View Quote

BUY IT ,, like last week......
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 11:08:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

+1

pretty sure if you dropped a 550b from 100ft, it would punch clean through a WWII battleship

The press itself will last forever, and the small parts are warrantied forever

Link Posted: 8/7/2020 11:36:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 11:57:09 PM EDT
[#25]
This is going to sound redundant to what others have already said: the 550b used setup sounds reasonable.  I have two, one setup for small primers, the other for large.  With a myriad of tool heads, dies and powder droppers caliber changes are a breeze.

I've loaded 100s of thousands on the small primer press.  When parts break or wear out, Dillion CS fixes me right up free of charge.  

Link Posted: 8/8/2020 9:51:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 9:58:24 AM EDT
[#27]
My 550b has been cranking out 9mm., .38spl, .45acp and. 223 since 1999.
21 year old machine... literally 10's of thousands of rounds.
The ONLY part I've had to replace...
The powder bar return spring.

I didn't even have to buy it from Dillon.
My local hardware store had the same spring for fiddy cents.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 4:34:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 4:43:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
@wildearp
Please tell me about the lighting you have in your presses.
View Quote
I bought a roll of tape type LED lights from Amazon.  The tape is useless, but they stick to almost any surface with hot glue.  

I have a 6" strip inside the right side press, the one with the .44 on them.  

Since they are 12Volt, I use any leftover phone charger that says 12V and solder to the strip.  

In the center hole, someone on the arfcom found that an LED screw in turn signal bulb fits inside a cut down 20 gauge shot shell.  I string the wires through the primer hole and solder them to the bulb. This fits inside the press center hole and the base flange keeps it from falling through.

The left press has the same strip hot glued to a piece of metal that I velcro to the die plate.  I will eventually glue a strip inside the press frame, much cleaner.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 4:41:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Hey guys, quick update. I just bought the reloader. So now I dont know if I should keep this post going or is there another discussion board here where I can get some tips and advice for a first-time owner of a reloader.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 5:16:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Hey guys, quick update. I just bought the reloader. So now I dont know if I should keep this post going or is there another discussion board here where I can get some tips and advice for a first-time owner of a reloader.
View Quote

Keep it going and ask your questions...

It’s your thread and still 550 advice.

ETA: Did you get any primers?
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 6:06:45 PM EDT
[#32]
@PMR8519- See IM
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 11:45:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top