Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 5/27/2020 7:53:42 PM EDT
I'll be looking at a used one on Saturday, guy says it has multiple cal., not sure how many and what all is included. Wants 1500.00 for everything there, just have to inventory and see.
Good deal and what should I look for?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:03:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry, but it really does depend on what all is there and the condition. The last time I checked, the 1050 didn't have the lifetime, no questions asked, warranty. Personally, I might pass unless you want to start a little business. Dillon does makes the best though (IMHO).

Find out how old it is. If it's still set up, give it a spin.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:39:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sorry, but it really does depend on what all is there and the condition. The last time I checked, the 1050 didn't have the lifetime, no questions asked, warranty. Personally, I might pass unless you want to start a little business. Dillon does makes the best though (IMHO).

Find out how old it is. If it's still set up, give it a spin.
View Quote

Thanks. I'll have him send pics before I go Saturday so I can do more research. Not worried about warranty if the deal looks real good.  I did a quick price check and the basic machine is about 2000.00.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 10:52:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 9:25:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Dillon sells parts for their conversion kits, so missing one or two small items is no big deal. I have heard Dillon is pretty good about helping out non-commercial owners if they have not been abused.

$1500 is not a bad price if it works as designed and has conversion kits that you reload.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 9:40:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Could be great deal or could be ok. I personally would rather have a rl-1100. Or a mark 7

I would have to say that Dillon isn't the best anymore but you will pay the difference. Think of it this way, its still a cast press that most people upgrade with all the cnc parts. Mark 7 if you have the $
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 10:41:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted: The last time I checked, the 1050 didn't have the lifetime, no questions asked, warranty.
View Quote

I have been reloading on 1050s for 20+ years.  I have needed that warranty exactly once.  And it was because I completely screwed up and broke the bellcrank.  So I guess that means I havent needed to use a warranty.

I currently have three 1050s.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 11:46:05 AM EDT
[#7]
1500 is a good price with multiple conv kits, I just sold one in 40sw for $1200 + shipping
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:36:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
1500 is a good price with multiple conv kits, I just sold one in 40sw for $1200 + shipping
View Quote

Thanks.  Was yours the basic setup or where there upgrades?  What would each conv kit add?  Would bullet feeder add a lot?  Only gonna do this if it's a real good deal.  I've loaded thousands of 300blk, Hundreds of 308 and 300 wm on my one arm bandits, Redding T7 and rockcrusher. This progressive is all new to me, looking to load .40 and .45 mainly, may do 5.56 and 300blk in future.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 3:01:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
1500 is a good price with multiple conv kits
View Quote

Agreed.   Usually the ones I see around where in just 1 caliber go for 1500-2000.  Imo though, a 1050 is "best" for a dedicated caliber and not just an over glorified 650.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 4:19:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have been reloading on 1050s for 20+ years.  I have needed that warranty exactly once.  And it was because I completely screwed up and broke the bellcrank.  So I guess that means I havent needed to use a warranty.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: The last time I checked, the 1050 didn't have the lifetime, no questions asked, warranty.

Oh, I agree. I only have the 650 now, but it's about 20 years old as well. I can't begin to imagine how many rounds. As I recall I had one or two problems when I first started that needed repair. Probably my fault.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 6:44:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thanks.  Was yours the basic setup or where there upgrades?  What would each conv kit add?  Would bullet feeder add a lot?  Only gonna do this if it's a real good deal.  I've loaded thousands of 300blk, Hundreds of 308 and 300 wm on my one arm bandits, Redding T7 and rockcrusher. This progressive is all new to me, looking to load .40 and .45 mainly, may do 5.56 and 300blk in future.
View Quote

There were some small upgrades nothing crazy, I sold some conv kits for @$75 shipped, bullet feeder add @$300.
When you buy it you'll understand I've messed around with alot of progressive presses I think the 1050, excluding new Dillon's, is the finest press under 2k.  I love mine and all I've done so far is brass processing it really is a fantastic press.

Mine is auto driven also
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 1:02:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

There were some small upgrades nothing crazy, I sold some conv kits for @$75 shipped, bullet feeder add @$300.
When you buy it you'll understand I've messed around with alot of progressive presses I think the 1050, excluding new Dillon's, is the finest press under 2k.  I love mine and all I've done so far is brass processing it really is a fantastic press.

Mine is auto driven also
View Quote

Still trying to get pics, guess the guy inherited it and doesn't know much about it.  Spoke to another person that knew the owner of it and he thinks it has auto drive with it, for sure bullet and case feeder, heads for 9, .40, .45  may turn into a great deal.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 1:09:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 5:10:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Still trying to get pics, guess the guy inherited it and doesn't know much about it.  Spoke to another person that knew the owner of it and he thinks it has auto drive with it, for sure bullet and case feeder, heads for 9, .40, .45  may turn into a great deal.
View Quote

That is starting to sound like a great deal to me.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 5:44:19 PM EDT
[#15]
In for the pics

I love my 650, but wouldn't mind having a 1050 just for the cool factor.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 7:29:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Well the guy never sent pics, so I'll be going there blind tomorrow.  Was hoping to do some research on what he has before I went.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 8:20:58 PM EDT
[#17]
It sounds decent so far.

New prices, a 1050 runs $2,000 fully set up for 1 caliber casefeeder included.  

Each additional conversion kit is $130 new.

Dillon dies are $75 to $300 new for full sets.

Extra toolheads are $200 each.

Powder measures are $89 now.

So even at half price you'd be at $1000 for the 1050, 3 additional conversion kits at $65 each is $195, 3 additional die sets at $40 each is $120. Add a premium if they are carbide rifle dies, plus whatever extras.

So just the 1050 alone with 3 additional calibers you'd be in good shape.

If it's a Mr Bullet Feeder that's $450 new.

Autodrives can be several different drives. So ???

As long as it's not a rusted pile of junk. Should be a great deal.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 8:22:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Also, if it is beat up. Dillon will do a refurbish on it for $130 ish I think. So keep that in mind.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:25:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks everyone. Looks like I can't loose if it all looks good.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 12:08:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Also, if it is beat up. Dillon will do a refurbish on it for $130 ish I think. So keep that in mind.
View Quote

Which if you are there checking things out...kicking the tires...be sure to ask about the original box the 1050 came in.

Makes it so much easier if you do have to ship it back to Dillon to get refurbished.

The key selling point of the 1050 that nobody in this thread has commented on yet is the 1050's ability to swage out crimped in military primer pockets.

You probably know about that feature already???

As I understand it, the 1050 has a rod that drops down into the case that supports it as a swage tool comes from underneath to "squish" out the primer crimp.

I have a 650 with the Swage It tool, and every now and then a case will fly out of the shellplate.

See?  At most the shellplate can only resist the upward pressure of the Swage It tool by "gripping" just 50% of the case rim.

A 1050 counteracts that upward pressure with that rod that drops down into the case.

Link Posted: 5/30/2020 12:16:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Tagged for positive outcome.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 2:21:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Kinda disappointed when I saw it, real dirty, crank bearings had play, some parts missing or scattered in boxes, one extra tool head, only one primer dispenser, set up now for .45.

AmmoBot Auto Drive 1050

GSI International – Bullet Feeding System. Looking at install vid, I don't think the tool head is right, seems to take a special one from GSI.

Dillon 1050, not sure if RL or Super

working on loading pics
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 2:32:16 PM EDT
[#23]

Are these parts to drive?
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 2:57:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Kinda disappointed when I saw it, real dirty, crank bearings had play, some parts missing or scattered in boxes, one extra tool head, only one primer dispenser, set up now for .45.

AmmoBot Auto Drive 1050

GSI International – Bullet Feeding System

Dillon 1050, not sure if RL or Super

working on loading pics
View Quote

Well, the good news is that Dillon now owns AmmoBot so you can get all your parts in one place.

That spare toolhead goes with the GSI bullet feeder. So if you get with GSI, they should be able to get you the info you need to get it all functional.

That is a Super 1050, I am 99% sure. The RL 1050 had less room between the toolhead and shell plate and would only load shorter calibers.

I'll look through your pics and see what else I notice.

The box of spare parts either go to the drive, the bullet feeder or something else entirely different. They don't go to the 1050 at all.

Link Posted: 5/30/2020 2:58:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Did you buy it?
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 3:15:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Did you buy it?
View Quote

Not yet, wanted to do more research on what it will cost to get running. Something else is missing for the ammobot wheel to mount on shaft.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 3:17:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It has a GSI bullet feeder included, they were pretty good units but went out of business. There is a lot there for $1500, with the auto drive I would buy it just to prep brass.
View Quote

Can you still get parts for it?  Would need it to do .40.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 3:25:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Well, the good news is that Dillon now owns AmmoBot so you can get all your parts in one place.

That spare toolhead goes with the GSI bullet feeder. So if you get with GSI, they should be able to get you the info you need to get it all functional.

That is a Super 1050, I am 99% sure. The RL 1050 had less room between the toolhead and shell plate and would only load shorter calibers.

The box of spare parts either go to the drive, the bullet feeder or something else entirely different. They don't go to the 1050 at all.

View Quote

Watched a vid
Thanks..Should I offer less?  Someone said that Dillon would refurb, but wasn't sure on price. Didn't see the primer pocket swager parts.  Just watched a vid on ammobot drive install and they removed the swag to install a pocket tester.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 3:47:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Ok, @coanan2 I have a different theory.  

Buy it right now, buy it as-is, but with a commitment from the Previous Owner (if you can get it) to assist you via a phone call or text or whatever if you have questions, but a commitment from YOU that if there is something missing or broken, there will be no recriminations.  One reason for this (among others) is that if you are still in contact with the PO, and they find a part that they forgot to include etc, you are more likely to get a call, "hey I found some extra parts."

When you are putting it together and operating it, use the opportunity to learn the equipment.  If you discover a problem, WORK the problem until you have a solution.  If something is [missing/broken/malfunctioning], exercise your resourcefulness and get a new part, or ask the PO what he did, or even ask us, arfcom.  Hey arfcom, I have this [whatever] and there seems to be a part [missing/broken/malfunctioning] what do I do?  

You aren't just buying ammo production capability, you are also buying the education that goes with it.  If you just wanted the ammo, you could spend that $1500 directly on ammo.  If you wanted everything perfect and 100% guaranteed, you would be spending much more $$ and buying from Dillon directly [not that that is bad].  What you want is the ABILITY to produce your own ammo, to whatever specifications you want, much faster than you can right now, and half of that is knowledge.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 3:58:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Thanks..Should I offer less?  Someone said that Dillon would refurb, but wasn't sure on price. Didn't see the primer pocket swager parts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks..Should I offer less?  Someone said that Dillon would refurb, but wasn't sure on price. Didn't see the primer pocket swager parts.

Offer less, No. Buy it, Yes.

Dillon does do refurbs on them. I just had 1 of my 1050's done a couple years ago. I know it's less than $150.

If you decide to pass on it. I will send you the cash to box it up and ship it to me. Plus a little extra for your time.
Should have been a PM. My apologies dryflash3.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 4:15:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Dillon does do refurbs on them. I just had 1 of my 1050's done a couple years ago. I know it's less than $150.

If you decide to pass on it. I will send you the cash to box it up and ship it to me. Plus a little extra for your time.
View Quote

Ok, consensus is, buy it now cause it's a steal and worry about the little things later.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 4:17:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Ok, consensus is, buy it now cause it's a steal and worry about the little things later.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

YES!!!! Wouldn't have even been a second thought for me.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 4:33:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

YES!!!! Wouldn't have even been a second thought for me.
View Quote

Just spoke to him, You'll cry about what I offered and he accepted.  Not sure if I should say, you might call the cops for theft. Getting it tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 4:41:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It has a GSI bullet feeder included, they were pretty good units but went out of business. There is a lot there for $1500, with the auto drive I would buy it just to prep brass.

I honestly don’t know, I use a Mr. Bulletfeeder. Cat-Mechanic may know as as GSI was in the Phoenix area.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 5:08:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I honestly don’t know, I use a Mr. Bulletfeeder. Cat-Mechanic may know as as GSI was in the Phoenix area.
View Quote

Thanks. guess .45 will do for now, most expensive.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 6:29:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Is there a way to plug in the ammobot and just "jog" it one time to see if it powers up?

Same for the bullet feeder?

I am not sure what the GSI bullet feeder needs to be able to load .40 ...if it takes a special .40 caliber dedicated "bulletplate" for the collator???

If you got all that for $1,500... yes you stole it.

Link Posted: 5/30/2020 6:52:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Is there a way to plug in the ammobot and just "jog" it one time to see if it powers up?

Same for the bullet feeder?

I am not sure what the GSI bullet feeder needs to be able to load .40 ...if it takes a special .40 caliber dedicated "bulletplate" for the collator???

If you got all that for $1,500... yes you stole it.

View Quote

Not sure about operating anything now, kinda disassembled. Going tomorrow to gather parts, kinda scattered around.  He's including a bunch of other loading/case prepping stuff.  Picked it up for a bit less.  Pretty sure I'll be sending it to Dillon for rehab, unless it's simpler for me to do it, but I'm thinking Dillon might do a more thorough job.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 7:49:30 PM EDT
[#39]
So that is a gen 1 autobot, make sure to run a fan blowing on the motor they overheat with use,  they work great not as fast and upgradeable as a new unit but perfectly good.

That is a fantastic price for what your getting.
Remove the ammobot from the press and get the press running well before you try using the ammobot.

It will cut your aggravation down alot.

Feel free to PM me as I've now set 3 basket case Dillon's back to good working condition
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 8:09:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
So that is a gen 1 autobot, make sure to run a fan blowing on the motor they overheat with use,  they work great not as fast and upgradeable as a new unit but perfectly good.

That is a fantastic price for what your getting.
Remove the ammobot from the press and get the press running well before you try using the ammobot.

It will cut your aggravation down alot.

Feel free to PM me as I've now set 3 basket case Dillon's back to good working condition
View Quote

Thank you.  Like a computer fan to cool it?  gen1?  I did see a couple different control panels that looked better when researching it.  Believe there was a large gray control box there with a push button switch.  Seems I might have trouble getting caliber change parts for the bullet feeder. Been told the company doesn't exist anymore.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 9:12:27 PM EDT
[#41]
So what price did you offer and the seller accept on
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 9:15:22 PM EDT
[#42]
I've got a 1050, two tool heads one for 9mm and the other for .223/.556 loadings. Bullet feeders are awesome along with a case feeder. Came from a RCBS Pro 2000 press to the blue koolaid side
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 9:44:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Thank you.  Like a computer fan to cool it?  gen1?  I did see a couple different control panels that looked better when researching it.  Believe there was a large gray control box there with a push button switch.  Seems I might have trouble getting caliber change parts for the bullet feeder. Been told the company doesn't exist anymore.
View Quote

Yeah two of those will be fine, the big box is the power box for lack of better term, the LCD screen box is the controller

Link Posted: 5/31/2020 12:09:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 12:31:10 AM EDT
[#45]
OK, so you gotta tell, How Much?

Looks like GSI is still in business, they are just across town from me. Never know they might have some old parts laying around. I am sure they will at least be able to get you information for it. http://www.gsiinternational.com/

If you need plastic parts for the bullet feeder, you might find somebody with a 3D printer. I believe there are some drawing out there for some pieces.

Definitely do the refurb, then you'll basically have a new machine.

Here is Ammobot's site, https://ammobot.us/ammobot-auto-drive/

I am sure you can get with them for parts and info. Dillon only bought them a few weeks ago, so I am sure they are still running as a separate entity.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 1:26:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
OK, so you gotta tell, How Much?

Looks like GSI is still in business, they are just across town from me. Never know they might have some old parts laying around. I am sure they will at least be able to get you information for it. http://www.gsiinternational.com/

If you need plastic parts for the bullet feeder, you might find somebody with a 3D printer. I believe there are some drawing out there for some pieces.

Definitely do the refurb, then you'll basically have a new machine.

Here is Ammobot's site, https://ammobot.us/ammobot-auto-drive/

I am sure you can get with them for parts and info. Dillon only bought them a few weeks ago, so I am sure they are still running as a separate entity.
View Quote

Thanks for all the info. 15-3=?
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 12:54:26 PM EDT
[#47]
That's awesome. Yeah you got a deal.

Here is the 1050 upgrade thread. You will want to read through it. https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/S1050-up-grades/42-468334/

You will also want to look at FW Arms. https://fwarms.com/
He sells a self centering decapping die and swage backup die that are awesome.

Also, here is the link to the factory manual for the 1050. https://dilloncdn.com/manuals/dillon-super1050-manual-english.pdf

Then if/when you send it in. I highly recommend a maintenance kit and spare parts kit.

I am sure I will think of more.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 4:10:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Have it, plus a hole lot of other stuff.

These, but didn't find the money part yet.

Is this the power supply for ammobot control box? turned on gray box and motor click and you can't turn by hand, normal?

Didn't find these.

This full of stuff, plus bullets, brass

other power not sure  ammobot, GSI

Few thousand

Link Posted: 5/31/2020 4:17:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 4:45:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Yeah, you stole that. The 550 would easily get you back $300-$400, The RCBS stuff maybe another $100.

The 2 primer tubes for the RF-100 are $50 each and would probably bring $40 each used.

Sell off a few things and you'll end up with a free auto driven 1050.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top