Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2020 10:47:20 PM EDT
Been doing some searching on Labradar on here, and wanted to get everyone's opinions from posts going back to 2017ish.

I'm about ready to shoot my Shooting Chrony on purpose instead of on accident, so thought I'd start looking into the Labaradar.  I have loaded up lots of test loads recently since I have been working from home during beerviruspocalypse.  It may be time to step up my chrony game.

Just wanted to confirm current opinions on the Labradar before I commit the funds.

Thanks-
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 10:53:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Nothing else like it if you have the funds and the need. Go for it.

App sucks.

Still nothing comes close 99.9% accurate? I mean come on.
At this point they have no competition
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 11:55:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I love mine, the app could be better, but it works..other than that no complaints..easy to use, easy to setup and easy to get accurate data...
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 12:33:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I love mine.  Get the motion detector trigger.  Takes a lot out of the set up for shooting rifles off of the bench.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 7:51:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Love mine. Get a nice case for it to protect your investment.

Get the accelerometer trigger now, so you can avoid the frustration most of us have went through before learning about them.

App sucks but I’m told they are working on it. Issue is for most people it drops connection frequently.

It eats batteries. Most people get external power banks. I’m admittedly nervous about the USB jack snapping off as every phone I’ve ever had has done that, so I bought some AA rechargeable lithiums that I run it off of which saves the USB port from being used for external power. If you go that route be certain the batteries can handle 3 in series. Most rechargeable AA Lithiums cannot handle more than 2 in series.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 8:10:02 AM EDT
[#5]
If you use a Kestrel and Applied Ballistics, it may be worth waiting to see what Kestrel comes out with.

They hinted at a radar that is tied to the Kestrel and AB software.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 9:33:02 AM EDT
[#6]
If you decide to buy you may want to wait until the holidays, last year most vendors were selling it for about $60 off if memory serves.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 9:49:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you use a Kestrel and Applied Ballistics, it may be worth waiting to see what Kestrel comes out with.

They hinted at a radar that is tied to the Kestrel and AB software.
View Quote

Where did they hint at this?  Very interested.........was about to pull the trigger on a Labradar myself.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 9:56:51 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought one a couple of years ago and still love it.  Much easier to use than a conventional chronograph, I just set it up on a tripod next to my bench.  There was a small learning curve to use it and you have to make sure it's aimed accurately.  I taped a small piece of straw to the top to aid in aiming.  It does eat batteries so I use a power brick.  I did update the firmware once but other than that it's been solid.  The app could be better but is usable.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:04:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Mine would be more acceptable if my company phone provisioning didn't lock my phone every 120 seconds.  The Labradar still keeps collecting data, but I have to reconnect the app each time.

It is very difficult to swipe right to setup if you have a phone cover.  That part down right sucks.  They should have a setup button rather than a swipe setup at the extreme edge of the screen.  First time out I didn't think the app worked at all because of that.

Since there is no competition for the product, it is doubtful they will update the software in a timely manner.

I did have one bad day and it didn't seem to trigger at all.  The face of the unit needs to be pretty much parallel in flatness to the target face.  With the V groove, I missed the setup.  I added a tube sight to make it easier to sight the target and get the unit parallel.  It has worked for me after this.

Also, I tried Lithium AA batts.  Don't do this, just get an appropriate USB power pack for it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:08:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I love mine.  Get the motion detector trigger.  Takes a lot out of the set up for shooting rifles off of the bench.
View Quote
Wat?  There is a built in motion detector that I find doesn't trigger well at a busy range.  I don't see it as an accessory.  Audio trigger works well if you set it up right and have correct spacing/barrel position to the Labradar.

The only accessory trigger I see is a microphone for air guns, and it does pick up my Daisy Red Ryder at 262fps.

Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:21:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Is this third party trigger what you guys are talking about?

You guys are supposed to keep us informed of such things.  You have failed.  

Are there others out there? I see these are out of stock.  Which ones work best?
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 3:17:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Is this third party trigger what you guys are talking about?

You guys are supposed to keep us informed of such things.  You have failed.  

Are there others out there? I see these are out of stock.  Which ones work best?
View Quote

I have that exact one. Sorry I thought you knew about it already. I sent them an email and asked them to make mine orange, which they obliged. Have to keep the theme in check.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:15:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I purchased one a few months ago. I use it at an indoor range. I love it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 12:43:58 AM EDT
[#14]
If I understand correctly, the unit has a speed limit.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 1:47:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If I understand correctly, the unit has a speed limit.
View Quote

3900 fps.....
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 12:39:36 PM EDT
[#16]
@wildearp.

This is the one I got.  $15 more, but they are in stock.

Piet Recoil Trigger

Link Posted: 4/28/2020 1:36:01 PM EDT
[#17]
only issue is that around 1600 fps it gets a little wonky as to whether to use the 'rifle' or 'handgun" velocity range.  I'm working with a 357 magnum rifle and found this out the hard way (wasted some loads before I found this out... now I always load a few extras to test it out before I get serious).  

It will give a "unable to track the projectile" error if the velocity range is set wrong.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 1:56:55 PM EDT
[#18]
I like mine.  I need to buy one of the recoil triggers so it's more consistent with my suppressed rifles.

I've had a magnetospeed and a caldwell traditional style chronograph.  I much prefer the labradar.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 10:16:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By shortround:
@wildearp.

This is the one I got.  $15 more, but they are in stock.

Piet Recoil Trigger

View Quote

Using Velcro is so jenky. Take the $15 you save by going JKL and buy the soft printed picatinny holder.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 11:15:03 PM EDT
[#20]
I love mine; I would buy another one in a heartbeat if mine broke. That said, there are a few things I don't like about it.

1.) The app is horrible with my phone (S9). Loses connection constantly.
2.) The JLK recoil trigger is pretty much required to get 100% of shots.
3.) It's fragile; I've had to send mine back for warranty repair already.

That said, it's the ONLY way to load dev with while clocking rounds 100% of the time.

It's within 1-3 FPS of my MS V3 on every shot, and my drops area always correct at 1k.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 3:33:57 AM EDT
[#21]
I've got one of the earlier ones. Never had any pick up issues, even when shooting suppressed subsonics, though those require doppler detection mode instead of the mic.  

Battery bank is a must. They do indeed eat batteries like crazy. Don't leave them in it either if you use AAs. Made that mistake only one time. I use a Milwaukee adapter that takes an M12 to a USB outlet paired with a right angle USB cable to keep it from hanging out from the Labradar too much.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 10:11:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Well, I let you guys talk me into it.  Hopefully here this week sometime.
Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 10:46:55 PM EDT
[#23]
It's OK, but in my experience, is pretty fragile.  Mine is currently apart in on the work-bench, awaiting some replacement parts so I can try to fix it.  I guess I'm hard on stuff.

As other mention, the app and interface suck.  And its trigger isn't that great - apparently spawning a cottage industry of third-party motion sensor triggers, if that tells you anything.  That said, it's probably your best option out there on the retail level.

I will say, Shooting Chrony is terrible.  I've had far better luck with ProChrono.

Link Posted: 5/4/2020 8:49:49 AM EDT
[#24]
I've had mine for 18 months.  Would I buy again?  Yes.

I run mine on a tripod 2" in front and 6" to the right of the muzzle set in Doppler mode.  No issues with picking up shots.  The triggers can give false readings on ARs when the bolt closes in my experience.  Why in front?  Large brakes on larger calibers can and will knock it over.  My APA Lil Bastard is a good example of that.

Phone app needs an update.  I've run the app on a bunch of different phones with varying degrees of success.  Google and Motorola phones are pretty good with the app.  Samsung seems to have issues.  Haven't tested my work iPhone on it.

A LARGE USB power brick is in order.  I'll use mine for a full day of shooting and I use a 32000 mAh battery as my old 10000 mAh battery just wasn't getting it done past 2-3 hours.  Battery output also seems to affect how well the Bluetooth seems to work.  Some battery packs just don't seem to have enough juice.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 7:56:47 PM EDT
[#25]
I've been using this case.  The New Orange is similar to Lab Radars Orange.

Peoples Tool store case

It has enough room for the LR and the usb Battery pack or a pile of AAs
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 9:34:23 PM EDT
[#26]
The app blows and the interface is pretty clunky, but it's easy to overlook that because the unit is simply the best chronograph around.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 12:58:09 AM EDT
[#27]
The user interface is downright terrible. Almost impossible to remember how to use it if you don’t use it often.

Other than that it’s great thou. I never use my other chronos anymore.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 7:57:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Finally was able to get out and try this thing out today as my own "peaceful protest", if you will...
I'm very happy with how it works, and am glad I spent the $$ to get it here.  Hoping I don't need the repair tech contained in the other current thread in the reloading forum.  

Thanks everyone for your input.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top