Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2018 4:42:19 PM EDT
I have acquired a French 1935s and have started reloading for it.  I made the brass out of 32s&w long that I removed the rim, cut an extractor groove and
trimmed to length. Today I fired my first small batch of reloads for it. They all fired but the ejection seemed rather weak. Out of the 20 rounds fired 4 of them
stovepiped when ejected. Additionally, the slide did not lock back when empty. It seems as if the ammunition was underpowered.

I know that there is not a whole lot of information out there about this round. I was hoping that there would be others that reload this round and could
possibly point me in the right direction so I could develope a good working load.

The load I used was one I got off a video where he documented and worked up a load for this round. I replicated it.

-32S&W long case trimmed to .775
-Winchester small pistol primer
- 4.7gr blue dot
-90gr .30cal Hornady XTP
- 1.100 coal
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 10:32:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 10:44:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 11:37:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Is it the 7.65mm MAS used in the Model 1935A and 35-S pistols and 1938 submachinegun?

If so, from Cartridges of the World, 12th edition, page 313

It's got a 19.8 mm straight case identical to the .30 Pederson.  For handloading, any 30 cal bullet of up to 100 grains can be used.

It has a 77 grain bullet load using 3.6gr of Unique giving 1100 fps (Lyman No 311252)

The factory load used an 85gr FMJ at 1120 fps

No other data, sorry.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 7:57:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you see this video?

My guess was correct, he is loading Unique, Power Pistol and Blue Dot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bt-6Ijhphw
View Quote
Yes, that is the video I saw.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 8:06:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Is it the 7.65mm MAS used in the Model 1935A and 35-S pistols and 1938 submachinegun?

If so, from Cartridges of the World, 12th edition, page 313

It's got a 19.8 mm straight case identical to the .30 Pederson.  For handloading, any 30 cal bullet of up to 100 grains can be used.

It has a 77 grain bullet load using 3.6gr of Unique giving 1100 fps (Lyman No 311252)

The factory load used an 85gr FMJ at 1120 fps

No other data, sorry.
View Quote
Yes, it is the 7.65mm MAS. I do not have that book, but that matches one of the loadings I have collected from the net.
It looks like I will need to pick up some unique. There are not a lot of .30 pistol bullet options in this weight range .
I  went with the 90gr XTP because I was able to find some locally and had an example of it being used.
I am considering getting some 78gr .32 bullets and resizing them to down to .308 to try. It is a fun little pistol
and has been an interesting project so far.
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 8:54:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 10:04:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Cool round.  I think of it as a 30 super, well up into 32 H&R territory in a semiauto.  This would make an awesome doublestack modern concealed carry pistol round.

I can't find my notebooks as I am in the middle of yet another move.

I load for a 1935A and a 1935S.  The 1935A is a nice pistol, the 1935S is a dog.

I started my first real reloading efforts with a box of 25 Federal 32 S&W long ammo I turned into 7.65 ammo.  The 98 grain LRN I pulled from the 32 S&W rounds shot very well out of the 1935A with a moderate powder charge, probably with 231.  I'll try the 98 grain Magtech LRN bullets someday.  This bullet would probably make an excellent 7.65 load.

110 grain carbine bullets are just too heavy and loads with this bullet feel unbalanced.  They match the French ball profile pretty well, though.

I concentrated on using Remington or Magtech .311 71 FMJ bullets as they shoot well in several different 30 cal pistols and are cheap.

I spoke to Starline, and their 32 H&R cases have the same internal case head dimensions as their 32 S&W cases.  I bought a batch of 500 starline cases and converted ~150 of them to 7.65.

231 powder works OK, but the yellow sticky in my MTM box says this last batch was loaded in 2015 with 5.0 gr. Power Pistol with Magtech bullets to 1.110 LOA.  There is not much bullet shank in the case, but I have not had any problems with bullets moving.  This is a hot load, for sure.  I have good case life, is accurate and functions well, and primers and primer pockets look good.

I use Lee 32 acp carbide dies.  I need to fix that bullet seating stem, one of these days.

The longer case rims in the pic are a mistake made when my dial indicator shifted.  Slowly attriting these by case loss.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 8:37:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Cool round.  I think of it as a 30 super, well up into 32 H&R territory in a semiauto.  This would make an awesome doublestack modern concealed carry pistol round.

I can't find my notebooks as I am in the middle of yet another move.

I load for a 1935A and a 1935S.  The 1935A is a nice pistol, the 1935S is a dog.

I started my first real reloading efforts with a box of 25 Federal 32 S&W long ammo I turned into 7.65 ammo.  The 98 grain LRN I pulled from the 32 S&W rounds shot very well out of the 1935A with a moderate powder charge, probably with 231.  I'll try the 98 grain Magtech LRN bullets someday.  This bullet would probably make an excellent 7.65 load.

110 grain carbine bullets are just too heavy and loads with this bullet feel unbalanced.  They match the French ball profile pretty well, though.

I concentrated on using Remington or Magtech .311 71 FMJ bullets as they shoot well in several different 30 cal pistols and are cheap.

I spoke to Starline, and their 32 H&R cases have the same internal case head dimensions as their 32 S&W cases.  I bought a batch of 500 starline cases and converted ~150 of them to 7.65.

231 powder works OK, but the yellow sticky in my MTM box says this last batch was loaded in 2015 with 5.0 gr. Power Pistol with Magtech bullets to 1.110 LOA.  There is not much bullet shank in the case, but I have not had any problems with bullets moving.  This is a hot load, for sure.  I have good case life, is accurate and functions well, and primers and primer pockets look good.

I use Lee 32 acp carbide dies.  I need to fix that bullet seating stem, one of these days.

https://i.imgur.com/x2ml1Os.jpg

The longer case rims in the pic are a mistake made when my dial indicator shifted.  Slowly attriting these by case loss.
View Quote
I am loading for the 1935s a 1935a is on my short list of fireams to acquire.
Thank you for all the suggestions
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top