BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2017 7:48:39 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:03:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:28:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I have several reloading manuals from a span of from 1950 to current issues. I like the older manuals with realistic loads that have not been lawyerfied on the altar of too much caution. Now I am not a hot-rodder but I like realistic data that allow me to get top performance from my not so common loads.

For example, I have a 7x57 load with 120 grains bullets that exceed 25-06 MAX LOADS by about 200 fps. It shoots like a lazer out to 500 yards. I ONLY SHOOT THIS LOAD in a modern 1985 vintage Winchester Model 70 Featherweight. This ammo is totally safe in the gun I use it in. It has been extensively chronographed. It will never be shot in any other rifle. PERIOD. I load it in Nickel plated cases so there will never be any confusion.

This load/rifle combo has been used on 5 pronghorns from South Dakota and New Mexico, at ranges from 250 to a longest, best shot at just under 400 yards. In all cases, drt, one shot.

I really think any serious reloader should have a few of the older manuals to use as one end of the loading spectrum and blend those loads with newer manuals. Responsible load development spans a spectrum from a variety of sources, and prudent ladder approaches across a range of known safe load levels.

Always check and double check your data, and burn as much powder as you can.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:38:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:12:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 4:26:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top