Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2017 11:05:44 PM EDT
What recommendations for a chronograph?  Was looking at two on Amazon:

Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph Premium

or

Competition Electronics Prochrono

The Caldwell has an app that sends the info to your phone, but doesn't seem as highly rated as the Competition Electronics one.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:27:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Honestly shooting thru sun screens sucks and gives bad data if everything is not perfect.

I quit using those type of chronographs years ago. I had very good lunch with MagnetoSpeed and now have a LabRadar which is the best I have used yet.

Link Posted: 8/20/2017 12:32:52 AM EDT
[#2]
OP, I've been using the CE Pro Chrono for a couple of years, and it's worked exactly as advertised.  Honestly I expected spotty results from these diffuser style chronos based on some of the internet reports, but frankly I've been amazed at the consistency mine has delivered.  I'm pretty anal and use some known, proven test loads during my sessions to verify the Chrono's consistency.  It always seems to be on.  Of course I'm also pretty anal about how I set it up and am very observant of sky/light/cloud issues to try to insure the best results.

I don't have any knowledge about the Caldwell model.  I do have their long range target camera and some of their other products and am quite pleased with their products.  On units like the Lab Radar and such, I have little doubt they work and work well.  If I were wasting ammo, time and dealing with frustration with my chrono, I'd probably be motivated to spend that much to get a unit like that.  All I can say is that mine has been working reliably.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 12:39:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 1:56:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Pro Chrono.

Has worked perfectly for several years.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 7:17:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I have the Caldwell setup and no complaints.  I've got 100+ 'groups' (each group for me is 10-15 rounds) through it and it works just fine.  Being able to export your groups directly from the phone to excel is a great feature for those that track reload details.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:22:21 AM EDT
[#6]
ProChrono and this guy.

Amazon Product
  • Works with prochrono
  • Connects to mobile device wirelessly
  • Free app for newer Apple devices and Android

Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:23:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

or

The Caldwell has an app that sends the info to your phone, but doesn't seem as highly rated as the Competition Electronics one.  Thanks.
View Quote

i have had both. the caldwell does not require you to buy extra to hook up to your phone as the wire included works great. i have found them both to be accurate and the reading area large.  wait for labor day sale on them . i got mine for about $70
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:53:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Pro chronograph here...

One day I was out using it and a guy next to me had the radarlab.
We ended up with his on my table at I fired around his and through mine.(not to through though)
it was reading within 14 fps. Mine being out 5 yards and his at muzzle, sounds to me like it was close enough.

BUT if the sun isnt right is reads crazy numbers, but that makes it more obvious its wrong.
crazy as in last time out my subs were 170 fps. 5 minutes later all was good.
I would rather have it way off like it seams to do thought than just wrong.

I havent got the plugin to go with it, but someday. On a public range its almost required.

I got the crony and tripod for like $125 with free shipping on amazon.
(just a quick tip, not a were to buy post)
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:54:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

or

View Quote
What are you using it for?
Use it every weekend?
Once in a blue moon to satisfy curiosity? 
Precision ammo data collection?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:40:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Use it every weekend?
View Quote
^^^Yep, this right here^^^

I bit the bullet recently and bought the Labradar. Was it pricey? Hell yes. Was it worth it? For me, hell yes, but it is not for everyone.

I think both of the choices you listed would serve you well enough as they are both in a similar price range and have similar functionality. I like the Pro Chrono, but that does not mean that it is any better than the other choice. If you add the Bluetooth option, the price starts creeping up closer to the $150+ range, and now you are getting close to the Magnetospeed price range.

Let us know how you plan on using it, that would be helpful.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:46:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Use it every weekend?
View Quote
- Testing loads for different setups.
- Possibly, but it would be frequent.
- No.
- Precision data collection is the primary.  It will also be used for hunting loads.

Right now, RadarLabs stuff is way above what I am looking to pay.  I don't shoot competition, this is just for me.

Mostly from an 18" DMR profile 6.5 Grendel, govt profile 16" Grendel (mostly hunting), and 16" Larue Stealth upper.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:39:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

- Testing loads for different setups.
- Possibly, but it would be frequent.
- No.
- Precision data collection is the primary.  It will also be used for hunting loads.

Right now, RadarLabs stuff is way above what I am looking to pay.  I don't shoot competition, this is just for me.

Mostly from an 18" DMR profile 6.5 Grendel, govt profile 16" Grendel (mostly hunting), and 16" Larue Stealth upper.
View Quote
Magnetospeed is what I would recommend then. Accurate, simple and easy.
The Sporter is only $180
The V3 is $380(Brownells code "M4Y" for 10% off over $300 today)

Results of my comparison

....30 CALIBER 20 SHOT 

LABRAD...MAGNET..SHOOTING c 
...2552...2552.....2512 min 
...2576...2574.....2538 max 
------------------------------------- 
MX 2576...2574.....2538 CORRECTED 2544 
MN 2552...2552.....2512 CORRECTED 2518 
AV  2563...2561.....2523 CORRECTED 2529 
SD 7 ........7 ........8 
ES 24 ......22 ......26 

.......26 CALIBER 15 SHOT 

LABRAD...MAGNET..SHOOTING C 
...2502...2502....2478 max 
...2478...2477....2453 min 
----------------------------------- 
MX 2502...2502....2478 CORRECTED 2482 
MN 2478...2477....2453 CORRECTED 2457 
AV 2488...2489....2464 CORRECTED 2468 
SD 7 ......7 ........7 
ES 24 ....25 .......25 

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_16_10/6511_.html
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:16:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Sounds like maybe I should save up some.  College kid needs new tires and books for school, so might have to put it on the back burner for a bit and just shoot the reloads for right now.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:28:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I've got the caldwell BP, plenty for me for the money I wanted to spend. Think it was around $60 on amazon. App works perfect and does all the math for you/saves your data, it uses your microphone jack.

I will say it is finicky sometimes although without the sunshades it works pretty good. Obviously it's no magneto or radar.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:11:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:34:32 AM EDT
[#16]
what type of sensor is there in magnetospeed v3? a coil sensing a field?

so magnetospeed v3 costs $380 + you need to buy adapter if you want to attach it with picattiny rail to AR or Pistol, right?

Can the same stuff be done to Sporter version? Or sporter will only be using straps and not usable on pistols?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:10:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
what type of sensor is there in magnetospeed v3? a coil sensing a field?

so magnetospeed v3 costs $380 + you need to buy adapter if you want to attach it with picattiny rail to AR or Pistol, right?

Can the same stuff be done to Sporter version? Or sporter will only be using straps and not usable on pistols?
View Quote
It senses disturbance in the magnetics field(as I understand ).

I have the V1, so not sure but I don't think the Sporter works with adapters. I have 4 AR rifles no picatinny mount required. You need about 2" of barrel to strap to.

That is why I asked OP his uses, if there is a lot of semi autopistol use then that changes recommendations.

With that code I listed yesterday a guy could have gotten a Labradar for $500 at that point it would make no sense to buy a Magneto V3 IMO.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:20:08 AM EDT
[#18]
My only recommendation is against the magnetospeed. Don't get me wrong, it is a good product but the setup is a pain with multiple firearms and the finicky nature turned me off. Some rifles read great and others wouldn't consistently give good readings even after extensive messing with settings. I couldn't personally justify the cost over an optical unit.

As a casual user the optical type served me well for years until its untimely death.

I just picked up a Chrony Alpha from Amazon on the cheap. Keep an eye on warehouse deals.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:59:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My only recommendation is against the magnetospeed. Don't get me wrong, it is a good product but the setup is a pain with multiple firearms and the finicky nature turned me off. Some rifles read great and others wouldn't consistently give good readings even after extensive messing with settings. I couldn't personally justify the cost over an optical unit.
View Quote
What you described is not the Magnetospeed, "pain in the ass" nope, "finicky nature", nope, "inconsistent readings", nope.

No one has ever said those things about the Magnetospeed. Barrel harmonics changing groups, sure, point of impact shift, sure. 

The only time you need to change settings is if you are using magnetic bullets. Strap it on and shoot, it is literally that easy.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:42:41 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a Gamma Master Chrony, an Oehler 35P and a new (and not yet tried) Magnetospeed V3.

The Chrony takes some work to get set up properly.  It has a fairly small "window" through which to shoot, and if you don't have it lined up just so you'll get skewed numbers.  You can't just shoot at two or three different targets downrange; the difference in the bullet's flight of a few degrees can cause different and inaccurate velocity readings.  Shooting Chrony units also tend to be pretty sensitive to variations in lighting, so intermittent clouds play pure heck with consistent readings.

The Oehler is a gem.  It has a much wider "window" to shoot through and is much better at handling clouds.  You can still give yourself errors by shooting at an angle, but the long (4' standard) distance between the screens helps reduce that.  I think Oehler's sky screens are more sensitive than Shooting Chrony's too; they can catch shots in more marginal lighting situations than the Shooting Chrony.

Magnetospeed uses something that detects the presence of a metallic object as it passes the sensor.  Their technology is patented, but I can think of a few ways to do this, from the most simplistic being a twist on the old fashioned metal detector to a complex application of the Hall effect.  Whatever they do, it works.  The only issue I have with the Magnetospeed is that you can't really use it on a revolver, or with a semi auto pistol that doesn't have an accessory rail.  That's not a big deal though.

Here's how I see these devices: I presented them in the order I bought them, as well as in increasing order of precision.  As long as you shoot straight through the Shooting Chrony's screens, it should be fine for any pistol round.  The Oehler is an industry standard, but it takes up space, takes time to set up, and is a pain for other shooters on the line who might have to wait for you. The Magnetospeed stays at the firing line and there's no setup in front of the line - it seems perfect for rifles.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:50:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:13:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Honestly shooting thru sun screens sucks and gives bad data if everything is not perfect.

I quit using those type of chronographs years ago. I had very good lunch with MagnetoSpeed and now have a LabRadar which is the best I have used yet.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn38/rccox/Guns/602CD4EC-6063-4661-874B-82C6E2A3B580.jpg
View Quote
This 

I love my labradar 
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:28:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The Chrony is not hard to use if the goal is to simply shoot through the screens.  Shooting for groups at the same time adds a new level of difficulty that makes me wonder why I would try at all; for a long time I worked up a load, then checked the speed, but I was shooting a group then, too, instead of just getting the speed.
View Quote
With some care taken in setting up and aligning an optical chronograph shooting for groups through it with a rifle always seemed obvious and easy to me. I mean, if you're aiming at and hitting a ~1" target 100 yards away, there's no way you're going to be outside the much larger window of the chrono at 10-15 yards, assuming you set everything up correctly. That's what I always did and I never had a problem or hit the chrono (with a rifle )

I've since switched to a Labradar and will never go back, it's a total game changer. Expensive, but worth every penny if you use a chrono on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:12:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 2:56:11 PM EDT
[#25]
ANY conductor moving in a magnetic field (static or AC field) has current induced.

The induced current produces a magnetic field that affects the field already present.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 6:52:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The Chrony is not hard to use if the goal is to simply shoot through the screens.  Shooting for groups at the same time adds a new level of difficulty that makes me wonder why I would try at all; for a long time I worked up a load, then checked the speed, but I was shooting a group then, too, instead of just getting the speed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I agree.  It's that small window; it makes it hard to get everything aligned well enough to shoot consistently for accuracy.

On the other hand, I think it does OK for pistol rounds.  The lower precision of the Chrony (compared to either the Oehler or the Magnetospeed) is not an issue for rounds running under 1500 fps or so.  I sort of think of it as a pistol chronograph because of this.

Oritinally Posted by Brickeye:
ANY conductor moving in a magnetic field (static or AC field) has current induced.

The induced current produces a magnetic field that affects the field already present.
Indeed.  The issue is how they generate a field, how they detect an object made of some arbitrary metal and of some arbitrary mass, and then how they process that data.  The answer to those questions, as far as I'm concerned at the moment is "pretty darn well."  I'll worry about the technical details if and when I actually need to...
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:22:08 PM EDT
[#27]
I grabbed the Caldwell G2. it has Bluetooth to your device and its upside down so it isn't affected by light, clouds, whatever like others can.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:47:38 AM EDT
[#28]
For what I'm using it for (checking USPSA loads), I'm perfectly happy with my ProChrono.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 1:08:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Standard diffuser style Chrono's work pretty darned well with proper setup and attention to detail.  It's a little like Snap-On tools compared to Craftsmen.  There's no doubt that Snap-On and similar quality brand tools are superior and more versatile.  Still, with proper care and use one can do quite nicely with a set of plain old Craftsmen tools.  

Understand I'm not promoting just going cheap over quality, but it's not always necessary to prepare for Formula One level action when one is not racing Formula One.

For the somewhat amazingly low price of some of these good diffuser style Chrono's, it might even be advisable for a newcomer to reloading to start with one.  If you get into competition shooting or a starring role in the new "Shooter II" movie, you'll likely up the ante in equipment and effort.  If my current 6mm and 6.5CM reloading and precision rifle pursuit increases, I can see myself going with one of these more sophisticated units.

I'm learning a lot from my CE Pro Chrono.  If money were no object, I'd say go for the Ferrari instead of the Corvette.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 2:38:57 PM EDT
[#30]
I got this guy not long ago

https://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-G2-Ballistic-Precision-Chronograph/dp/B01B7OYNJG/ref=sr_1_8?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1503686055&sr=1-8&keywords=Chronograph

Very happy with it, the lights on the bottom are very helpful.

I agree with the OP...Doppler radar is just flat stupid money for someone in just a hobby setting....unless you know that woman that won the powerball this week.

I have gotten very good results with the unit I linked, every reading seemed to jive with every other reading....I would like paper right then and there....I am old and the new fangled app stuff on a tablet or smart phone is a bit of an issue....but it is the way things are going I guess....guess I should get some "app" to keep my logs and notes in.

I like this one as it has the lights built in, nothing extra to haul around....and even on real cloudy days it has worked very well.

My budget was under $200 and this fit in nicely.....I charge all my gas on a credit card and then use the "points" for amazon stuff....works real well.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 4:51:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Standard diffuser style Chrono's work pretty darned well with proper setup and attention to detail.
View Quote
This is an excellent point, but I will add that it's important to know WHAT you're setting up for, and what details need attention.

Aligning the chrono with your shooting position and the target is critical, but not a large challenge.  And it is important to know ahead of time what you're measuring and why.  

It is a waste of my time to clock every single round when I'm developing a load, but once I get things narrowed down, then it's going to pay to look at the velocity statistics.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top