Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2017 11:59:40 PM EDT
I have gotten back into reloading and am trying to set up and buy in good bulk quantities. Like, 10k projectiles in 9mm and 223. I've so far reloaded 7000 9mm and have been getting whatever Cabela's has on sale + coupons, either XTreme or Berry's. I have been getting 9mm 124gn RN for about 7-8c per round after taxes. Those were plated, however, and I'm wanting to go FMJ as I start to push max velocities (both XTreme and Berry's say not to exceed 1200fps) . But maybe some of these other places are worth a look? So far here are my options, and all offer free or $5 shipping.

XTreme Bullets 124gn FMJ for 8.4c per round - but currently out of stock
Everglades Ammunition and Reloading has their 9mm 124gn RN FMJ, $250 for 3750, or 6.7c per round. These are by far the cheapest, who knows what about them? I've found threads on other forums but most are about 5 years old and alot can change at a company in 5 years.
Rocky Mountain Reloading has 4000 for $312, or 7.8c per ound.

Because of the quantity I'm looking to order, Everglades looks to be the best on savings, with 1.7c per round savings over XTreme and 1.1c per round over RMR. Doesn't seem like much but after 10k rounds that's $100-170 in savings, which is about 4000 more primers, 5lbs of powder, etc. Real money to a grad student like me.

What experiences do you all have and what are your thoughts on the route I should go? Any other companies you could suggest? Btw I'm shooting out of HK pistols only, and I've read that lead isn't exactly the best for their barrels (fouling wise). I generally will shoot a little over 10k per year on my own so this once-a-year ordering will help me have enough for the year an then some.

Second order of business: I'm starting to reload for 223. I plan on shooting around 5k of these per year so similar quantities. Recommendations please, as the only place I'm familiar with so far is ordering Hornady projectiles for 7c per round shipped.

Many thanks.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:24:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:11:14 AM EDT
[#2]
9mm bulk  - I buy SNS, precision, bayou, or blue-bullets coated....what ever is cheap and in stock at the time

Attachment Attached File

for 5.56, it's hard to beat hornady 55fmj or 55sp bulk

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 1:52:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You going to exceed 1200 with a 124 gr in 9mm?

I'm thinking it's a non problem.

Check out Extreme plated bullets. They are the most accurate plated bullet I've tried.

They have a daily sale, and great sales at holidays, like 5% off and free shipping.

I never get any supplies at Cabala's, the prices are too high.

If you haven't tried True Blue (ball powder) in 9mm, you are missing out.
View Quote
Agreed on Cabela's prices. I only buy when there is a sale and a coupon for basically 25% off my purchases.  

It will be a while until I can try True Blue as I am going to have to go through 8lbs of CFE pistol first
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 1:53:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Seems like Everglades had mixed reviews in 2011 with their consistency and qualtiy, but 2014 posts elsewhere has folks saying they are good. Anybody have recent experiences?
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 2:42:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
9mm bulk  - I buy SNS, precision, bayou, or blue-bullets coated....what ever is cheap and in stock at the time

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2275/IMG-4236-253566.JPG

for 5.56, it's hard to beat hornady 55fmj or 55sp bulk

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2275/IMG-4237-253567.JPG
View Quote
What this guy said.

Ill throw a vote in for Acme Bullet Co as well for pistol bullets.  I think its really hard to beat HiTek coated for pistol anymore.  Cheap and accurate.

For 55gr bullets, both SPs and FJMBTs, Hornady is the best game in town at 7 cents a piece shipped from lots of places.  Do not even bother with any other manufacturer for inexpensive 55gr bullets that shoot way better than they should for what they cost.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 3:06:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Sometimes Widener's will sell Hornady 52/53 grain match hollow point .224" bullets for the same price most places are selling the 55 grain FMJ/SP's.

I purchased two 6000 bullet boxes for $480.00, one box of 6k 52 grain match with a canellure, the other box of 52 grain match without. I've been shooting the canellured bullets with 22.3 grains of LT-32, Russian kvb-5,56m primers and nickel plated Federal brass into nasty little 1" groups @ 100. This load only runs 2920 fps from my 20" barreled service rifle, but is 100% reliable so far and amazing on target for such a cheap bullet.

Buying .224" in bulk saves big money and supplies you with years of trouble free shooting once you find a load that hammers. It also allows you to shoot plenty even when everyone else is suffering the consequences of politically fueled dry spells. NOW is the time to stock up while supplies are plentiful and prices low.

I don't shoot plated bullets. I will shoot lead from my .38 Special, .45acp 1911's and .41 Magnum revolvers. Missouri Bullets is my normal source for lead projectiles. I usually buy Hornady HAP 9mm, .40 S&W and .45acp in bulk packaging for general shooting. Their XTP's for self-defense.

Hornady 6000 round light match and general purpose 55 grain FMJ/SP's and 4500 round heavier match bulk boxes is the most economical way to stock up.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 4:05:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
NOW is the time to stock up while supplies are plentiful and prices low.
View Quote
This is the truth.

<Trollslayer run off to "Where Can I Find..." thread.>
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:40:40 PM EDT
[#8]
So far the Everglades rounds are perfect. Their weights vary as much as Berry's but I'm paying 6.6c per bullet for 9mm FMJ. Will test out the accuracy shortly.

Edit: the spread is as much but not nearly the numbers. Berry's had almost no bullets at 124g, the vast majority were 123.6-123.9 grains. Everglades had most being 123.8-124.1 grains.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 1:00:43 PM EDT
[#9]
The accuracy of these reloads was twice as good as my previous ones using Berry's and Xtreme. Some factors that may be affecting that though.

I was previously using a Dillon SDB. This machine had terrible consistency in primer seating.

The last press was mounted on a media stand. This new press is on a bench made of 2x4 and 2x6 boards

Everglades are fmj bullets, the other two were not.

I will stick to Everglades and order another 10k projectiles. I only made an initial order of 3750 to try out.

I will also try out their 55gn 223 projectiles though they seem to offer various types
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 2:13:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So far the Everglades rounds are perfect. Their weights vary as much as Berry's but I'm paying 6.6c per bullet for 9mm FMJ. Will test out the accuracy shortly.
View Quote
What kind of variance are you seeing on the bullet weights?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:38:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Give or take 0.2 grains. Xtreme was the same. Both had most of the projectiles I weighed be right at their weights. Berry's were rarely at 124gn and were give or take 0.4 grains
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:53:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I use hornady 55gr fmj exclusively for 223

However, for 9mm, I've used rmr a lot, and some berrys and raniers.  

I don't think I've used x-treme.  Is it worth me getting 3.75k of these?  Any bad experiences or caveats?  It's to be used in P30L and MPX which eat all my 9mm.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:00:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:19:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Might ask Extreme what the savings is when getting 25K used to be quite nice , grab a buddy or 2 and split a order
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:47:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I use hornady 55gr fmj exclusively for 223

However, for 9mm, I've used rmr a lot, and some berrys and raniers.  

I don't think I've used x-treme.  Is it worth me getting 3.75k of these?  Any bad experiences or caveats?  It's to be used in P30L and MPX which eat all my 9mm.
View Quote
There is a good sale on RMR fmj 223 right now. 7c a round shipped. It is usually 8-9 at Xtreme or Everglades, which translates to over $100 saved over a 10,000 round batch.

It is worth getting 3750 of the Everglades. I would get another 3 orders of the 3750 if I could. I cant tell a difference in the actual loading process of 9mm comparing the 3 brands and the Everglades shoots much better (or at least the same, see above post on changed reloading conditions). My wallet did notice a difference though. At 2c a round difference from Xtreme and 3c a round difference from Berry's I will save over $200 during the 10,000 rounds I plan on reloading before the year is over.

All my reloads go through either a P30L or P30SK in 9mm.

I dont know how long these prices will last with Everglades. Xtreme used to be the same price they are but now charge 9c per 124gn 9mm when 3 years ago they were charging 6c. Increase business size means increased overhead and thus increased prices as manpower is the most expensive part of a business. Seems like Everglades is still fairly small and that's how they keep their cost down. Which is great for a broke law student who loves to reload and shoot alot to just piss off the libtards at school. No joke, one recent grad said I probably had enough ammo to invade Poland when I posted a picture of the 3750 projectiles...
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:55:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Might ask Extreme what the savings is when getting 25K used to be quite nice , grab a buddy or 2 and split a order
View Quote
If the savings were significant enough, say down to 4-5c per 124gn or 55gn projectile, I would want to just order the lot. It would be loaded in a couple months and shot in 1-2 years.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:25:30 AM EDT
[#17]
I don't think I've used x-treme. Is it worth me getting 3.75k of these? Any bad experiences or caveats? It's to be used in P30L and MPX which eat all my 9mm.  
View Quote
I've loaded 20k+ of their 124 plated with no complaints. Shipping can occasionally be a little slow if I had to find something to whine about.

Xtreme used to be the same price they are but now charge 9c per 124gn 9mm when 3 years ago they were charging 6c
View Quote
As of this posting they're sitting at 7.6c per round for the 3750 bulk pack.

I've been using Xtreme pretty much exclusively for plinking/practice ammo for almost 5 years and unless I missed a big sale or you're talking about truly large volume deals, they've never been at 6c for 124 grain in that time.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:12:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Those are not for their fmj. If you want to go beyond 1200fps you jerd fmj or the Xtreme heavy plated bullets, which are about fmj price. Xtreme doesnt have 9mm fmj in stock currently which is why i had to look elsewhere
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:35:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Ah, gotcha, I missed that you were shopping FMJ and not  the plated, my mistake.

Just out of curiosity, what are you shooting these out of that you're seeing (or expecting to see) 1200+ FPS? That's scooting along pretty good for bulk loaded 124 grain.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:09:09 AM EDT
[#20]
I am trying to get to the Winchester Nato rounds (124gb traveling 1150-1180fps out of 4" barrel) or my Federal HST 124gn +P loads (1200fps). Additionally if they go out my 9mm carbine speeds could reach 1400fps
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 4:53:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Sometimes Widener's will sell Hornady 52/53 grain match hollow point .224" bullets for the same price most places are selling the 55 grain FMJ/SP's.

I purchased two 6000 bullet boxes for $480.00, one box of 6k 52 grain match with a canellure, the other box of 52 grain match without. I've been shooting the canellured bullets with 22.3 grains of LT-32, Russian kvb-5,56m primers and nickel plated Federal brass into nasty little 1" groups @ 100. This load only runs 2920 fps from my 20" barreled service rifle, but is 100% reliable so far and amazing on target for such a cheap bullet.

Buying .224" in bulk saves big money and supplies you with years of trouble free shooting once you find a load that hammers. It also allows you to shoot plenty even when everyone else is suffering the consequences of politically fueled dry spells. NOW is the time to stock up while supplies are plentiful and prices low.

I don't shoot plated bullets. I will shoot lead from my .38 Special, .45acp 1911's and .41 Magnum revolvers. Missouri Bullets is my normal source for lead projectiles. I usually buy Hornady HAP 9mm, .40 S&W and .45acp in bulk packaging for general shooting. Their XTP's for self-defense.

Hornady 6000 round light match and general purpose 55 grain FMJ/SP's and 4500 round heavier match bulk boxes is the most economical way to stock up.
View Quote
THIS, what he said. We are almost with out a doubt getting another democratic president next election. So stock up now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top