Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/14/2017 5:58:34 PM EDT
During the powder shortages a few years ago, I ended up with an assortment of powders because it was what I could get my hands on and I tossed this one aside but now cannot find much load data for it. Anyone have suggestions?   I'd be using Acme powder coat 115 gr and Montana Gold 115 gr.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:22:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:29:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Appreciate the info. What manual is the second pic out of?    I have lyman 49th and didn't see anything in there, and Alliant's data sucks.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:35:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Appreciate the info. What manual is the second pic out of?    I have lyman 49th and didn't see anything in there, and Alliant's data sucks.
View Quote
Speer. <-------- Not my hotlink. It's an ad from ar15.com

Why do you think Alliant's data sucks?
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:01:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Speer. <-------- Not my hotlink. It's an ad from ar15.com

Why do you think Alliant's data sucks?
View Quote
It's just so limited.  For example it doesn't cover any lead bullets, so my powder coat Acme's have no data, and if I loaded to the lengths in that data I know they wouldn't feed in my guns (already had that problem) and shortening OAL leads to pressure increases..........so, their data doesn't help me much.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 1:41:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Speer has lead data, but their lead bullets are swaged vs hard cast.
The funniest thing is that RCBS puts a Nosler Manual in their Rockchucker Supreme Master Kit now days.
Speer has quit making quite a few bullets, especially some of their pistol bullets.

You could always invest in a Quick Load software.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 4:06:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I have Lyman 49th and Lee reloading's compilation along with one of those load data books built specially for 9mm, but mostly I use powder company data (western powders is great!) , and between all of them only the Lee has some data for American Select, but it is all jacketed bullets.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 7:17:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I've shot 1000's of cast 125gr & 130gr bullets in the 9mm using 4.5gr of american select for any and all cast lead bullets in those weight ranges. The semi-auto's function flawlessly and accuracy is more than acceptable.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:24:22 AM EDT
[#8]
I have loaded many thousands of rds of 9mm with American Select but only 125 and 147 gr.  

3.5 to 4 gr with 125 HAP
3.0 to 3.5 gr with 147 gr projectiles

Usually seat so for minimum free space in the case.   Unless you are pushing max loads there shouldn't be excess pressure
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:34:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Where did you guys source your load data?     I'm thinking of starting at 4gr and working up.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:55:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Where did you guys source your load data?     I'm thinking of starting at 4gr and working up.
View Quote
Searched forums to get an idea of what others were doing and then inferred the rest.

It is a great powder for powder puff pistol loads.  Cleaner burning than hp38/win231, fills the case, and a gentle recoil impulse with low report and muzzle flash.  I consider it a bargain alternative to n320.  

4.0 grains would no doubt be a safe starting point but for 115 i might go a little higher like 4.3.  You should be able to seat the bullet at a depth which feeds reliably and has the case mostly filled without being compressed.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 2:28:08 PM EDT
[#11]
2005 was the last year alliant put out a ood manual. When they don't have cast/lead data for a bullet I typically use jacketed bullet data and work the loads up.
2005 alliant manual
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 4:07:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Thank you for the link, appreciate it.   It at least gives me a place to start.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top