Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/14/2017 4:21:33 PM EDT
I'm out of Titegroup and have a pound of True Blue I want to try out. I was wondering if someone had a load for 230gr .45 RN they wouldn't mind sharing. I checked the arf references and couldn't find anything.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 4:28:30 PM EDT
[#1]
According to my records, I've loaded 7.0 grains under a 230 FMJ and it was a bit smoky.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 4:41:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:02:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Great Powder, unfortunately I mostly use it in 9mm.  Ramshot does have VERY good selection of load data to include +P loads as well.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:07:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info. Sorry about the confusion, I'm using plated Xtremes. I'll try out 7gr at 1.23 OAL. Looking at the website, they give a max of 7.8!

Nice Dillon, by the way! I'm saving up to drink the blue kool aid, myself.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 7:29:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll second ramshot's website, tons of load data.

True Blue is very accurate in my 9mm's and @Dryflash is correct, stuff meters perfect. It's almost like mercury the way it flows, kind of weird.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:16:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:26:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Like I mentioned 7.0 grs is middle of the road, not max, a nice shooting load.

45 AP is one of those calibers that you can push plated bullets to max velocity for that cartridge. If you want to go that way.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/dryflash3/Powder%20%20and%20Primers/PC020323.jpg

For anyone not familiar with True Blue, it's shape is small spheres. Which is why it measures so well.

Spill some on a smooth surface and it will roll around like ball bearings.
View Quote
I saw that 7.8 is the max, I was just shocked at the difference because as of now, I've only used Titegroup for pistol, and that maxed out at under 5.0gr for a plated 230.

The measuring will be a really nice benefit for me, too. I have to pull 150 rounds of 9mm I made because the Titegroup started measuring incorrectly in my powder drop.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:44:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:44:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:13:16 AM EDT
[#10]
True Blue and Accurate #5 are my favorite pistol powders for 9 and 45 full power and +p loads.  Ramshot lists +P load data as well.  Accurate #5 is very similar to Trueblue and I use it when sourcing Trueblue is spotty.

7.0-7.3g of Trueblue is what I run depending on the specific 230g bullet.

Ramshot Competition is my go to for my 9/45 gamer loads though.  Meters well and makes for some light and soft shooting loads.  3.8g under my cast/coated 230g is a pleasure to shoot
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:21:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Barking up the wrong tree,

Hs-6 and Tru blue are used in 45acp for +p type loads (to make 9mm major loads as well), while powders in the Clays burn rate are used for target loads to MPF instead.

So we can get you there with Tru blue for a +p type load with the 230 jacket bullets that will burn clean, but your not going to like the amount of recoil is going to produce instead.  As for backing off on the powder amounts, that the rub since you not producing enough pressure for a clean burn and less than a ideal consitent load with the tru blue powder instead.
View Quote
Yeah, that's not good. I was wondering what 7.0gr of powder was going to feel like recoil wise. I haven't opened up the container yet. If it's going to be unpleasant, I might sell it and get more Titegroup.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:12:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 2:32:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
7.0 is not going to be unpleasant, it will shoot fine.

You could always begin loading at the start load if low recoil is your goal.
View Quote
Alright, I'll give it a shot. I'm learning to shoot the 1911 as its so different than the DA/SA I learned on. I like it the pistol, but I just haven't been able to really get comfortable with it yet.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 4:00:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:44:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Correct grip, stance, finger contact to the trigger, coupled with not fighting the recoil, goes hand and hand with putting tight groups on target.
Really, the first three are pretty quick to learn, while it the later with not trying to fight the recoil with auto's that most have a problem with instead.

You don't list your location, but if you are in the Denver area, we can get together to have you tack driving with the 1911 in no time.

Also, when you are loading the ammo to a COL, use your barrel to end up with about a .004" free jump.
View Quote
I appreciate the heads-up. I'm in CA so I don't think I could make it out to learn. I plan on visiting CO though, so if I'm there, I'll give you a heads-up! Same if you make it down here (not that you'd want to!)

It's funny how I always heard that 1911s are easier to shoot than DA/SAs but while I've had no problem shooting an M9 and P226, I just can't seem to master the 1911. That's why I'm reloading, though! To get more practice.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:09:30 PM EDT
[#16]
What does True Blue offer me over Titegroup?
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:24:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top