Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/4/2017 11:27:10 AM EDT
What are you guys doing with your spent primers?  

I've got a Dukes of Hazzard trash can from the 80's that's overflowing with spent primers.

I've contacted a metal salvage place, but they weren't interested.

Any NC guys had luck finding a place for them?
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:39:07 AM EDT
[#1]
i throw them in the trash after every reload session
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:42:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I have one can with spent primers, and one of rejected brass. When the brass is full I take them both to the recycling center. I don't get much, but you know how us reloaders are.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:44:22 AM EDT
[#3]
<removed> this is not GD. dryflash3
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 12:03:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Not correct forum for this "humor". dryflash3
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 12:55:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I dump my spent primers in old Coke bottles/beer bottles and then they get put on a shelf or placed somewhere in the reloading room.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 1:02:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I sell mine with my scrap brass. I hope you find a recycler who will take them. That's a lot of prime metal to be just putting it in a land fill.

Motor
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 4:11:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I toss them in the trash it's not worth the hassle for me to recycle them
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 4:29:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I put them in a glass jar full of water then when it's full just cap it and throw it away
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 4:38:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 4:42:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 5:06:29 PM EDT
[#11]
<snip> this is not GD. dryflash3
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 5:17:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Save them to recycle. I havent been there but my cousin states a place down the road from me will take them. No idea what they are worth though.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 7:22:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I save them in a container and dump/mix them in with the 22LR scrap brass when I go to the scrap yard. Less hassle than declaring what they are and they are extra weight. 
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 8:33:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I sell mine with my scrap brass. I hope you find a recycler who will take them. That's a lot of prime metal to be just putting it in a land fill.

Motor
View Quote
When I take brass/ primers to the recycler, I ask them if I can trade for lead/ wheel weights.  

I don't get much for the brass and end up paying them $40+ for the lead.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 3:30:23 AM EDT
[#15]
I generally save them in glass jars until I have a load of other items that go to the recycler. In my area they just add to weight as the yard guys leave this stuff sitting in the weather for months.

Most of the time I don't declare what is in the non ferrous pile. Every time I do they just shrug and point to the pile they want it in.

I normally end up trading for wheel weights or other lead they have on hand.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 3:51:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Around here a bunch of us get together and stick some primers in the surface of 2" Styrofoam wall insulation and see which one of us can shoot them out from the bench at 25 yards.  But most of the time, I just throw them in a coffee can and take them to the dump when I go.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 8:43:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Recycling yards around here won't take spent brass OR primers, so they both get tossed in the trash.

If I ever get a crucible, I'm gonna melt'em and cast brass ingots.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 8:10:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Man, you guys who can't sell your brass to the scrapman have it rough.

Spent primers, odd caliber brass that I don't reload, and my own rejected brass all go into an ice cream pail.

Last trip netted me $12 and change.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 8:47:56 PM EDT
[#19]
I collect them for recycling.  It may take a while, but they add up over time.

US primers are brass; cups are brass, anvils are brass.  Nickel plated primers typically have un-plated anvils.  I have found some Russian Boxer primers with steel anvils, but they fall out of the cup when deprimed, so they're easy to separate.

Because of the particular process I go through for depriming, I even separate plated primers from un-plated primers.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 6:52:43 PM EDT
[#20]
I fill a coffee can with my spent primers. When full I dump them into my scrap bras bucket and take it to get recycled. 

Last time I me I had just primers and maybe 1200 380 cases. Got $38 if I remember correctly. 
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 9:16:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I fill a coffee can with my spent primers. When full I dump them into my scrap bras bucket and take it to get recycled.  
View Quote
Same here.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 2:26:46 AM EDT
[#22]
I throw them into the recycle bin that goes out on the curb with the trash. We aren't even separating our cans/bottles anymore because of time spent at the recycle center wasn't worth it.

Everything gets recycled... we just don't get paid for them.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 2:43:46 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm going to melt mine down after running through a sorting process that removes the anvils.

Nickel cups get melted with Nickel cases. Anvils get melted with Berdan and other damaged cartridge casings.

I may research stripping the Nickel, and reclaiming it as a separate process. - It all comes down to cost and effort. It has to be worth the work.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 10:11:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have one can with spent primers, and one of rejected brass. When the brass is full I take them both to the recycling center. I don't get much, but you know how us reloaders are.
View Quote
Same here. When I collect enough, I take them to the local salvage yard. I only get about $1/pound, but its money I'd otherwise be throwing away.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 11:22:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Attachment Attached File

Scrap them in the past,, this time I have a heavy steel recovery tank bottom, may try and melt into brass blob and hope for more cash.. or pour into ingots (have material to make ingot molds),, but dont have heat source yet
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 11:25:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm going to melt mine down after running through a sorting process that removes the anvils.

Nickel cups get melted with Nickel cases. Anvils get melted with Berdan and other damaged cartridge casings.

I may research stripping the Nickel, and reclaiming it as a separate process. - It all comes down to cost and effort. It has to be worth the work.
View Quote
Maybe I should send you mine, in return for fair percentage of material return ??  
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 11:28:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Recycling yards around here won't take spent brass OR primers, so they both get tossed in the trash.

If I ever get a crucible, I'm gonna melt'em and cast brass ingots.
View Quote
Hard to make it happen,, you threw your raw material in the trash...  
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 11:48:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/997/primers-183123.JPG

Scrap them in the past,, this time I have a heavy steel recovery tank bottom, may try and melt into brass blob and hope for more cash.. or pour into ingots (have material to make ingot molds),, but dont have heat source yet
View Quote
Make A Trash Can Metal Foundry | How To Make A Metal Foundry For Melting Brass And Other Metals

I am currently saving my primers, last time they went in the brass bucket when I went to the recycler.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 7:28:15 PM EDT
[#29]
I just throw them in the bucket with my scraped brass cases. Scrap yard has never said anything about it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 12:55:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 1:06:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Why do anything with them?  The value is so little...is it really worth your time?

Trash it and move on.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 8:08:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 10:23:50 AM EDT
[#33]
I have my primer catch tube for the rock chucker directly in the scrap bucket, don't even have to think about it.

On the 550, I just take the primer cup and dump in the brass bucket. Just as difficult as dumping them in the trash.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 10:12:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Anyone using as tumble media in wet tumbling like SS pins?
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 10:59:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 11:27:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Some outside the box thinking here. Hummm
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some outside the box thinking here. Hummm
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 5:06:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you deprime first the old primers won't clean the primer pockets and many of them will end up pressed back into the case but upside down. When my wife deprimes on the single stage she occasionally drops a loose primer into the bucket to be tumbled. They almost always reinstall themselves upside down.  A person could try tumbling with the other size primers but I doubt the pockets would clean even on large pocket brass with small primers.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 7:15:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Takes me the same amount of effort to place them in a recycle can as to throw away.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why do anything with them?  The value is so little...is it really worth your time?

Trash it and move on.
Takes me the same amount of effort to place them in a recycle can as to throw away.
Agreed. While not a tree hugger, I'll recycle anything I can.

Nearest scrap yard is too far and I reload too many calibers/don't have enough space to pick up every piece of brass to have a sizable enough stash to offset the cost of gas and time to take Brass and spent primers to the yard, but no reason to put them in a landfill if the local recycling plant will (possibly) recover them.

Might get a batch of primers back as a button or something else someday
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 1:59:24 AM EDT
[#39]
I have a little over four 5 gallon buckets of mixed primers/brass trimmings for cutting Blackout/junk brass sitting in the shed waiting for the price of brass to either go up a little bit more or I get enough to make a trip down to the scrap yard.. Right now I probably have 100-150lbs of brass. If you have the space to store them it is definitely worth saving them..
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 2:08:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Not worth the hassle, so they go in the trash.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:05:25 AM EDT
[#41]
I use them for background pictures on my iPhone then throw them away.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:06:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Use a old tee shirt and sow them inside, makes a good rest kinda like a sand bag..
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:06:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I use them for background pictures on my iPhone then throw them away.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/188107/image-189168.JPG
View Quote
That's pretty cool.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:34:08 PM EDT
[#44]
I saw a post in a Facebook reloading group about why spent primers aren't a good tumbling medium.  The guy had tumbled a bunch of small primer brass with spent primers, and had many/most of the cases wind up with primers jammed into the primer pockets.  To me that was a "lesson learned," because I'd have never even considered that might happen.

I like the idea of using them as shooting rest filler.  If I didn't collect mine for recycling, that sounds like a practical use for 'em.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:52:24 PM EDT
[#45]
My local trash pickup incinerates the county trash, and reclaims any metals from the burn.

I turn-in spent brass for cash at the metal recycling joint.

Primers go in the regular trash.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:24:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I put them in a glass jar full of water then when it's full just cap it and throw it away
View Quote
even

What's the water do besides increase the toxic payload?
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:36:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Trash it and move on.
View Quote
It's not like they fly all over the place when you deprime cases

They go into a little container

And I doubt anyone here is making a special trip to the scrap yard just for primers. When I have enough I'll just take them in with other stuff.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:38:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Use a old tee shirt and sow them inside, makes a good rest kinda like a sand bag..
View Quote
That's a really bad idea...
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:35:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
Why? I've got empty shot bags, I'm gonna try it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:02:57 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Likely lead contamination.

Primers often have a lot of lead/dust.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top