Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2016 4:17:05 PM EDT
How important is it to use the same primer in 9mm range ammo? I'm trying to load all the 9 mm ammo I can with the components I have. I have been using Tula sp primers have about 2k left then I have 5k of Tula 9x19 primers' 5k cci sp, and 1k federal. I'm loading 115gr plated bullets with 4.3gr titegroup. Think it would be ok to go through all the Tula then start on the cci? The 9x19 primers are just a little harder I think.

Thank you for any help
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 4:28:23 PM EDT
[#1]
It's fine.

There's so little variation between them it's irrelevant for range ammo.

If you were shooting bullseye or something it might matter.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 10:14:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 10:57:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you guys
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 9:50:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I did a little test on this some time back in 9mm in an HK P-30
Bullet: Lee 358-125 RF
Powder coated and sized to .357
Powder: Power Pistol 5.1 - 5.5g in .1g increments
10 shots each shot for group on a pistol rest over a chrono.
CCI-500 and Wolf primers.

What I found consistently was the results for Wolf primers at a given charge weight were on par with the CCI for .1g less. Both in terms of average velocity and group size. I also found the CCI to be more consistent in terms of ES and SD.

All that said, would it make a difference from a PRACTICAL standpoint of shooting offhand, IDPA, steel, etc. Not one whit. And there's a crapload of variables that may change your results- bullet, case, maybe a faster powder would show no change? etc.

Also, I found the Wolf to seat harder in Federal cases on my LnL. But that's just me. TBH, I've decided to favor CCI purely because they flip better in my flipper tray. 
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 12:21:28 PM EDT
[#5]
If gilt-edge accuracy isn't necessarily the goal, by all means go ahead and interchange at will, as long as the primers are "like for like". Different manufacturers grade their primers differently, and there's no guarantee of lot to lot consistency with any manufacturer anyway. This is why the competition guys are so anal about buying large lots of components with matching lot numbers.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 10:04:22 PM EDT
[#6]
As long as you aren't using max loads there should be no problem switching primers. I've never had an issue doing so, YMMV.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 10:09:32 PM EDT
[#7]
This is just range ammo. Trying to load up all my cheap bullets. Figure I'm $57.00 in the 1k I loaded this weekend.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top