BCM
User Panel

S1050 up grades (Page 3 of 9)
Page / 9
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 12:41:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ReefRaider] [#1]
This is my tool head setup for .223.
Station#1 case feed
#2 carbide die FL resize , decapping with carbide explanation ball.
#3 swag back up die.
#4 empty = primer station.
#5 empty.
#6 trimmer, trimmer only setup to trim length.
Lock nut is on bottom of tool head.
This allows for easy adjustments of length.
#7 empty
#8 Redding  neck sizer die with carbide expander only .
This rolls any burr left by trimmer blade.
Also provides a very uniform neck tension.

Note all primer tooling has been removed from this tool head and the press for this operation.
A grade 10 over sized washer is used under the bolt that holds the tool head onto the ram.
The swag is the 1st thing to be setup, then the FL size, then the trim length.
All final adjustments should follow that order till none are needed.
The trimmer blade should be set as low as it will go in the trimmer die right from the start.
This is to ensure your only changing the trim length while making adjustments and not the headspace.
ALL STATIONS MUST HAVE A CASE IN THEM WHEN RUNNING AND DURING ADJUSTMENTS!

Using this I can get 1.750 + - .002 while running on the auto drive.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 12:54:38 PM EDT
[#2]
That's where I've been going wrong, I need to get me one of them Explanation expander balls.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 1:43:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ReefRaider] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ChevelleDave:
That's where I've been going wrong, I need to get me one of them Explanation expander balls.
View Quote

Damn spell ck. I'm on my phone, ya got me. I hope you don't start correcting my grammar next you'll be here all day.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 2:27:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By ReefRaider:

Damn spell ck. I'm on my phone, ya got me. I hope you don't start correcting my grammar next you'll be here all day.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

PPHHHTTTTT, I can barely make myself look literate, let alone spellcheck anyone else.

I got my FF&B #3 shellplate last night. Going out to set it up, along with another mod I got planned. I got one last batch of 2X fired LC to size/trim, then I wanna tear off a big batch of Blaster ammo, fill the cans.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 3:30:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep that's the fun part. Fruit of your labors.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 3:59:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Who is using powder check die on 1050?

I like to.. but I like my FCD on some calibers.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 4:30:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I only use it for .223. When loading .45 with the Mr Bullet feeder there's no room for it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 4:41:59 PM EDT
[#8]
When I load on the 1050, it's usually bulk, so I always use Mr. Bulletfeeder.

My only gripe on the 1050 is that I can't use the PowderCop.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 7:52:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ReefRaider] [#9]

PPHHHTTTTT, I can barely make myself look literate, let alone spellcheck anyone else.

I got my FF&B #3 shellplate last night. Going out to set it up, along with another mod I got planned. I got one last batch of 2X fired LC to size/trim, then I wanna tear off a big batch of Blaster ammo, fill the cans.
View All Quotes

I'd like to see a close up pic from the side. If you want you could just IM or EM it to me
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 3:38:27 AM EDT
[#10]
I have it on the 1050 now. I was going to post short vid of it when I get up and running. If it is anything like the .308 shellplate, I'll be very happy.

I can take a shot of it on the machine, I'll PM it to you, not sure if the creator wants it posted all over the internet?
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 8:04:27 AM EDT
[#11]
I have it on the 1050 now. I was going to post short vid of it when I get up and running. If it is anything like the .308 shellplate, I'll be very happy.

I can take a shot of it on the machine, I'll PM it to you, not sure if the creator wants it posted all over the internet?
View Quote

Yep I was thinking the same thing. But it's only a matter of time anyway. I just want to compare it to a another shell plate mod I've seen.
Thanks. GB
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 7:33:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Just throwing in my Nickles worth ( Thats 2 cents adjusted for the devaluation of U.S. currency under Obummer ).

I would buy a Home Depot "Bucket head" for the vacuum port of the power trimmer. Last one I bought earlier this year was $22.95 and when it burns out the brushes I'll just toss it and buy another.

If you are doing major brass processing you could even make some PVC pipe manifold that lets 1 vac service 3 trimmers.

My loading bench is against the wall that is common with the garage. I made a PVC pass through and wired an outlet with a switch in the loading room so I can turn on the Vac in the garage and do my thing without most of the noise. It was a bit messy because that wall was fully insulated and the garage is not heated, but keeping the noise of my compressor and vacuum on that side of the wall was worth every cent spent and all the effort to get it done.The wall insulation also really cuts down on the sound level, almost all of what you hear is a slight whistle when the die is open. Its insignificant when the trimmer motor is on.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 7:03:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ReefRaider] [#13]
I put an order in with Level10 today. Tomorrow orders with Dillon and F&FB will get placed.  The must haves are two of the delrin guide rods and two small swager rods.

As far as the modified case feed plunger goes. The one I made seems to be working fine. It's gone though about 6K of processing 5.56 brass now without any mishaps in feeding a case.  I was thinking about getting some post cards. Then drawing the outline of it on them so it can be sent out to anyone that may want to copy it for themselves.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 7:57:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I put an order in with Level10 today. Tomorrow orders with Dillon and F&FB will get placed.  The must haves are two of the delrin guide rods and two small swager rods.

As far as the modified case feed plunger goes. The one I made seems to be working fine. It's gone though about 6K of processing 5.56 brass now without any mishaps in feeding a case.  I was thinking about getting some post cards. Then drawing the outline of it on them so it can be sent out to anyone that may want to copy it for themselves.
View Quote

I have had issues with feeding some calibers but not 223.

The only 223 issue I have is some processed brass drops from hopper in wrong direction. Maybe 1-2 in 100. Never happens when processing brass.  Guessing the added weight of spent primer or unsized shape of brass makes them fall better.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 8:25:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Get the small swage rods, but also look into the backer rods. I really like the one I got, it will really save on the brass as well. Much more rounded without the flare on it, will straighten out and enter the brass instead of making BO candidates.

I will try to get pics of the shellplate, I haven't even got to use it yet. The combination of low Iodine, low salt diet, and taking away the Thyroid meds has pretty much wiped me out. I'll try to get out there tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 10:22:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ReefRaider] [#16]
Get the small swage rods, but also look into the backer rods. I really like the one I got, it will really save on the brass as well. Much more rounded without the flare on it, will straighten out and enter the brass instead of making BO candidates.

I will try to get pics of the shellplate, I haven't even got to use it yet. The combination of low Iodine, low salt diet, and taking away the Thyroid meds has pretty much wiped me out. I'll try to get out there tomorrow.
View Quote

No big deal. I got a thyroid problem to. So I'm feeling ya there bro.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 10:39:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ReefRaider] [#17]
Originally Posted By djryan13:

The only 223 issue I have is some processed brass drops from hopper in wrong direction. Maybe 1-2 in 100. Never happens when processing brass.  Guessing the added weight of spent primer or unsized shape of brass makes them fall better.
View All Quotes

I kind of remember someone else having that problem too. Seems it had something to do with that metal plate that's in the opening were the case falls though.  Another thing to ck is that the clutch in the shell plate is in proper adjustment. If it's slipping then it could be moving to slow and letting the case fall though in stead of moving past it and then dropping web end 1st.   The one time I think that happen to me was because I put to many cases in the feeder at one time.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 4:27:15 PM EDT
[#18]
F&FB only had one swager rod in stock and I got it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 7:55:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 9:40:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By FastAndFriendlyBrass:

Actually, it was an inventory error, and we have about 20 more of each left.  
View All Quotes

Your description says if there is a primer in the pocket in the brass, it will lock up the press...

What does that mean if you are using an Autodrive? For my PW, should I expect the clutch to slip?
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 10:11:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 11:06:16 PM EDT
[#22]
All depends on how tight you got it set, By the time I got mine to resize brass consistently, it would power through a primer, and mash it to hell. Any looser and it would not resize consistently.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 11:20:14 PM EDT
[#23]
I got enough de-capping pins for life.

I got my McMaster-Carr order today, I think I got a cheap easy way to make up some "Dummy" dies to use for Tolerance Stacking around the trimmer, may use one opposite the de-capping die just to balance the load when running only one die de-capping. Man I wish I had one of those little Mini lathe's. Someday.

I'm going to try to get the 1050 set up and dialed in by the weekend to make a 3000 rd or so run of 55gr blasting ammo.

I start IR therapy Monday, from Wednesday through Sunday I will be in "Quarantine". I have to stay away from my Wife and Mother, at least in another room. From what I have been told I should feel OK, hoping to lock Myself away in the garage and get some .223 and 300BO blasting ammo made up.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 11:34:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ReefRaider] [#24]

View All Quotes

Yea well it's your web site. So fix it !  Now I'll have to pay shipping again for the other one and for now you just lost a sale.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 8:56:54 PM EDT
[#25]
My Wife is going to kill me, once she notice's it.I've wanted on of these for 15 years or so, finally said eff it.

Got a couple basic tools to go with it, been doing a lot of YouTube training. I was surprised how popular this little buggers are. Blogs, forums, a ton of YouTube vid's.

Got some custom 1050 parts, as well as several other reloading "inventions" I got in mind. This is one of the last pieces to get in place.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 8:42:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ReefRaider] [#26]
My Wife is going to kill me, once she notice's it.I've wanted on of these for 15 years or so, finally said eff it.

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag124/71metbu/DAVE-PC/Reloading/20161013_155802_zpskcsyvmji.jpg

Got a couple basic tools to go with it, been doing a lot of YouTube training. I was surprised how popular this little buggers are. Blogs, forums, a ton of YouTube vid's.

Got some custom 1050 parts, as well as several other reloading "inventions" I got in mind. This is one of the last pieces to get in place.
View Quote

WOH. Your on a roll.

I would be sure to keep that box ifn I was you.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 8:59:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ReefRaider] [#27]
Well I got my one F&FB swager. 1st impression, looks like some nice work. Maybe needs having at least two more flats spots on it's shank for making adjustments. I'm at the very end of a run of Lake City now. Then making a run of WCC.  So the set up needs to be adjusted anyways. That's when I'll install this new swager and see how it really works.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 9:05:04 AM EDT
[#28]

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag124/71metbu/DAVE-PC/Reloading/20161013_155802_zpskcsyvmji.jpg

View Quote

Um.. what is it?
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 10:33:51 AM EDT
[#29]

Um.. what is it?
View All Quotes

Um.. what is it?

It's a 7" x 17" Grizzly mini lathe. I got it to make a few of my Tolerance Stacking "Inventions" . I got my jig sort of made, got a couple rough prototypes roughed in. Man I have learned a lot, also learned how much I need to learn.

Got a couple more pieces to order from McMaster-Carr.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 10:57:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Thread derailment in progress.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 6:00:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Brassaholic13:
View Quote

Oh no, these are very 1050 relevant.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 6:04:14 PM EDT
[#32]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Brassaholic13:

I agree... Once he makes cool stuff for his press... we are all going to ask him to make them for us. ;)
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 12:30:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ChevelleDave] [#33]
It's crude, I know. But here is My first lathe project.

This is what I was using on one side of the Trim/Size die to balance the toolhead, but still fit under the vacuum shroud. The black one was a powder die I chopped down, but at 16.50 a piece, not very cost effective. The other one I made out of a piece of 7/8 x 14 allthread I got off McMaster-Carr.

I can see where having several of these will be nice. When de-capping and swaging OFB, I can see where using a couple on the other side to balance it out will make things more consistent, possibly wear the press a little more evenly.

So, I spent 600.00 bucks on a mini lathe to save a 16.50 powder die. I've always wanted one, I got several other projects in mind as well, not really worried about that part of it.

Need to get a QC tool post, some decent bits.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 8:04:24 AM EDT
[#34]
You should have spent another C note and gotten one that's a milling machine too.  Anyway have fun with your new tool. Maybe you should make something for your wife with it.

That's about what I had in mind too.  But with a hex on the bottom for making adjustments and so it can be held in place while the other nuts are tightened. Or you could just drill a hole right though it. Then put a punch though the holes so it can be tightened.  In fact that might work better then the hex.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 12:56:34 PM EDT
[#35]
I up dated my OP. For a bump too.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:23:30 PM EDT
[#36]
You should have spent another C note and gotten one that's a milling machine too.  Anyway have fun with your new tool. Maybe you should make something for your wife with it.

That's about what I had in mind too.  But with a hex on the bottom for making adjustments and so it can be held in place while the other nuts are tightened. Or you could just drill a hole right though it. Then put a punch though the holes so it can be tightened.  In fact that might work better then the hex.
View Quote

I looked into that, I'd like to add a mini mill down the road, we'll see what comes of it.

I have actually found that a cheap plumbing reamer works well. stick it in and give it a tap, I had thought of threading it and using a pipe plug, but realized it needs to be open, killed that idea. I still think that a 1/2" reamer is the ticket. Use a 1/2" extension to hold it from above. I'm going to make one that is 3/8"s and see if it will work.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 10:15:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Not really an upgrade to the 1050 but I made an efficient storage rack for the 1050 took heads.

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 10:52:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: djryan13] [#38]
Originally Posted By Weber:
Not really an upgrade to the 1050 but I made an efficient storage rack for the 1050 took heads.

<a href="http://s296.photobucket.com/user/WeberSteve/media/F2782177-A694-492D-8670-8258738D3647_zps0fooedf4.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm198/WeberSteve/F2782177-A694-492D-8670-8258738D3647_zps0fooedf4.jpg</a>
View Quote

I like. Thx for posting.

I may do something similar for PC7 toolheads. Its like a xmas tree.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 2:06:43 PM EDT
[#39]
I really do like the design you came up with there. I remember when you first posted that thinking what a great space saver that is.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 3:14:11 PM EDT
[#40]
I really do like the design you came up with there. I remember when you first posted that thinking what a great space saver that is.
View Quote

It's worked really well for me, and saves a ton of space compared to the base plate stands that dillon sells and the aftermarket ones.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 5:06:22 PM EDT
[#41]

<a href="http://s296.photobucket.com/user/WeberSteve/media/F2782177-A694-492D-8670-8258738D3647_zps0fooedf4.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm198/WeberSteve/F2782177-A694-492D-8670-8258738D3647_zps0fooedf4.jpg</a>
View Quote

Would you care to tell us the details to the tool head currently on the press ?  From what I can tell you have the new RT1500 .
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 5:49:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Weber] [#42]

Would you care to tell us the details to the tool head currently on the press ?  From what I can tell you have the new RT1500 .
View All Quotes

That's the 300 blackout tool head.

Universal decapping die
Swage
Trim/size Dillon 1500
M die
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 8:16:24 AM EDT
[#43]

Universal decapping die
Swage
Trim/size Dillon 1500
M die
View All Quotes

Universal decapping die
Swage
Trim/size Dillon 1500
M die

I moved the m die to the seating toolhead...

Why?

1. Sometimes I need/want a little flare depending on bullet used. Dont always decide before trimming or may use multiple bullets (cast, FB, BT, etc)

2. Is it me or does wet tumbling seem to mess with any flare you might add to case mouth during sizing? Always seems like I have to re-use m die anyway.

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 9:10:18 AM EDT
[#44]

Why?

1. Sometimes I need/want a little flare depending on bullet used. Dont always decide before trimming or may use multiple bullets (cast, FB, BT, etc)

2. Is it me or does wet tumbling seem to mess with any flare you might add to case mouth during sizing? Always seems like I have to re-use m die anyway.

View All Quotes

Universal decapping die
Swage
Trim/size Dillon 1500
M die

Why?

The use of the M die cleans the case mouth and expands the case mouth.  Depending on the bullet that I'm loading I may use it on another tool head as well if needed.

I have seen wet tumbling cause the the flare to decrease, I have also seen it create and edge on the case mouth that prevents the case from fitting the case gauge and requires a chamfer to remove.  I reduce my wet tumbling time to prevent those things from happening.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 12:59:18 AM EDT
[#45]
What't the cutoff for a thread to get moved to archives?

Just added a Mr. Bullet Feeder, seems to be working well but now looking to add either a powder mirror or one of those inexpensive inspection borescope's that connect to a tablet via USB and rig it to see down the case...  Any suggestions?

Link Posted: 11/29/2016 1:28:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 2:35:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By 78Staff:

Just added a Mr. Bullet Feeder, seems to be working well but now looking to add either a powder mirror or one of those inexpensive inspection borescope's that connect to a tablet via USB and rig it to see down the case...  Any suggestions?

View Quote

I saw that for the first time the other day. I think it takes up a station from what I can tell, unless you mount it to the casefeed to look for pins.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 1:29:38 PM EDT
[#48]

I saw that for the first time the other day. I think it takes up a station from what I can tell, unless you mount it to the casefeed to look for pins.

View All Quotes

Originally Posted By 78Staff:

I ordered a entry level Whistler handheld inspection camera, vs one of those cheap phone/tablet borescopes.  It was bit more of course, but has a rigid cable and a removable 3" monitor.  Plan is to setup the rigid cable/camera angled just outside the toolhead in some way, looking down at brass hopefully able to see the powder.  The monitor has a magnetic bracket which I think should work fine on the CF upright.  Anyway, hopefully it works as I have it drawn up in my head lol.

Link Posted: 11/29/2016 3:04:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ChevelleDave] [#49]
Sometime back I picked up a cheap Borescope that hooks up to my phone, I think it was like $15.00. I got it with the intent of looking down drains or looking down a rifle bore.

I might have to look into seeing if it might work for checking powder level.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 3:34:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ReefRaider] [#50]
Years ago we talked about putting a series of sensors on the 1050. To monitor certain functions.  Like a open case neck in station #2 before the tool head would come down and some other things. It became apparent early on that this would be rather expensive and some what complicated to set up.  It would also have to be removed and set up again everytime the press was down to be maintained.

When using the bullet feeder I'm now in the habit of watching the powder bar move out . While no were near 100% . It has served me well so far.
Page / 9
S1050 up grades (Page 3 of 9)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top