Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

S1050 up grades (Page 1 of 9)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Posted: 9/6/2016 9:09:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ReefRaider]
So as to not take another thread here off topic. Thought I'd start a new one.

Looking at maybe doing some up grades to my S1050s. Was wanting some input as to what some of you might have tried and liked . Also what didn't work out for you.

About 3 years ago some one gave me a bearing for the shell plate . I never put it on though. Now I'm reading that the bearings can make the shell plate retainer hit the tool head when it's all the way at the bottom of the down stroke.

Even if you haven't done any up grades to your 1050. I also would like to know how you have your tool head set up to process 5.56 brass. I've always use all Dillon dies with the exception of the last station. Which has a redding neck sizing die with expander. It helps to roll any burr left by the trimmer and gives very consistent neck tension.

ETA  Keep in mind I run my 1050s on a PW auto drive.
The up date's done as of now.
Level 10 delrin guide rods and also their delrin primer slide sleeve cover.
Fast and Friendly Brass ,  super duty small swager rod. If you do a lot of large swaging they have a large rod too.
Home made case feeder plunger , to slow the .223 case feeding in to the shell plate.
NOTEif your doing a caliber conversation to .233 on the 1050. Fast and Friendly Brass sells a up graded #3 shell that from what I'm told is well worth the money over the Dillon one. They also sell other shell plates for other caliber conversation s.
Check their web site.  They are also a sponsor of ARFCOM !
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:17:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ReefRaider:

I actually think it was enough to make him give up commercial reloading. But there may have been extenuating circumstances also.
View Quote

I'm going to be reading it.  Archive Thread Here
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 2:24:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By prskiller:

View Quote
Too bad the pictures don't show up in the old thread. 

Visuals are are great for reinforcement!
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 2:45:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 2:57:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ChevelleDave] [#4]
I read it as well. Yeah, I wish the pictures were there as well.

Sounds like Flamethrower might of quit reloading, His last post was over a year ago.

Like I said earlier, for me personally, I like doing it in cycles of a hundred, just using theBLUE BIN.

Damn strange way to have to do colored text!

I also played around with the table function, I can't seem to get it to work.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 3:03:22 PM EDT
[#5]

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/26/2017 3:06:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ReefRaider] [#6]
Originally Posted By ChevelleDave:
I read it as well. Yeah, I wish the pictures were there as well.

Sounds like Flamethrower might of quit reloading, His last post was over a year ago.

Like I said earlier, for me personally, I like doing it in cycles of a hundred, just using theBLUE BIN.

Damn strange way to have to do colored text!

I also played around with the table function, I can't seem to get it to work.
View Quote

I QC the 1st and the last of each batch of about 100. 200 rnds to a bin. I have 6 bins. Pistol all gets gauged, rifle goes right into an ammo can.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 8:14:08 PM EDT
[#7]
federal primers... Wont use those on my 1050 anyway...

would like to know how much of a straight down drop he had. I am not giving up idea. A gradual slope with properly seated non-federal primers should be fine.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 8:39:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ReefRaider] [#8]
Originally Posted By djryan13:

would like to know how much of a straight down drop he had. I am not giving up idea. A gradual slope with properly seated non-federal primers should be fine.
View Quote

I've loaded some .45 used nothing but Federal match primers . His presses were mounted at bench height. The tubes were at a slight angle away from the press and on the floor.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:17:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ChevelleDave] [#9]

View Quote

You need a Bucket wheel conveyor, that is optically regulated, with a digitally activated worm screw clutch, that is tied in with the Mark 7, as well as having a user override feature, that will be upgrade compatible to Mac. I also believe that You should incorporate 12V electric over pneumatic over hydraulic controls, as well as several video camera's with different angles tied into the internet via Wi-Fi so You can sit back in your Lazy Boy and watch it whilst having a cold, frothy beverage.

I'll get started on the 3Dimensional, laser guided, Ultra sonic ISO 9001 certified Quality Assurance system.

(Edit)

I forgot the Flux Capacitor.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 12:27:02 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

I have 2k of Federal Match large pistol primers I have to use up before I buy anymore so I'm going to give it a go here soon as soon as I'm done with my last 1k batch of .223.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 1:22:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Noticed the description of Mark 7 completed round funnel says the tube was purposely made with ripples to slow the drop. I think as long as you dont have a straight down drop, there is no risk. Even federal primers are probably ok.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 7:46:00 PM EDT
[#12]
What's everyone's opinion on the bearing kit and lightweight index ball?

Also, what is everyone lubing shellplate with?
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 8:24:01 PM EDT
[#13]
I took mine off and it works better without it. And I just use the red axle grease for everything, and some synthetic lube for the ram.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 8:27:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 78Staff] [#14]
What's everyone's opinion on the bearing kit and lightweight index ball?

Also, what is everyone lubing shellplate with?
View Quote

I've stayed away from the upgraded bearings/ball on the 1050, seems so many require modifying either the tabs or the lock ring itself on the RL - although I did pickup the Hit Factor kit, so I may try it one day now that I'm automated.  I did put an upgrade kit on the 550, however.  As little as I use the 550, not sure i notice much of a difference though.

As for grease, I either use the grease that comes in the 1050 maint. kit, or Mobil1 Red synthetic, whichever is handy.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 11:28:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Thx.. I have been running the kit for a while. I have not really noticed much of a difference. Now that I have Mark7 and can adjust speeds and dwell, I think I will go back to stock and see if it makes a difference. Just wondering if there was some consensus that it was a must have...
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 9:38:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Here is an interesting upgrade I just found. Case feed stop...

I was about to place an order for a mount when I happened upon this. Think I will pick one up.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 10:10:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Here is an interesting upgrade I just found. Case feed stop...

I was about to place an order for a mount when I happened upon this. Think I will pick one up.
View Quote
Very nice.  I've been meaning to make one at work but so far my girls hairband has been working good.  I may get one on my next Inline order to
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 10:12:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Oh, that is cool!
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 10:34:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ReefRaider] [#19]
For the $20.00 I'll just shut off the cases feeder and empty the tube.

On another note.  I just recently had to change another rod end on one of the drive units. Which got me looking into better rod ends.  So today I got about 800 cases processed then let everything cool down for a while. Come back and start up . Get like three cases though the press and snap. Damn drive rod busted at the press end again. .   I've got the adjustment of the rod down but still need it to kind of cam over at the bottom of the stoke to get the consistency I need.  I would like a new drive unit ,, but this one has more then paid for it self.  So it has just become an operating cost.

One other thing.  Since I'm using the F&F swager rod now. I've noted that when doing the staked primer pockets on LC 5.56 brass. That the Dillon rod did a better job with them. This could be in part because they get wet tumbled now. That the staking might get a little penned back over during the tumbling. The Dillon rod seems to push the staking back and down more.  Seems the F&F rod doesn't open the end of the primer pocket  as much as the Dillon will. It does how ever last much longer. Now if they could combine the better of the two that would be great.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 9:39:04 PM EDT
[#20]
I got the Inline Fab casefeed stop today, I must admit it is a very nice piece.

I find it very useful when clearing a jamb, or some other issue. Like that every now and then when a primer decides to jamb and flip out and fall out through the escape hole.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 9:52:36 PM EDT
[#21]

I find it very useful when clearing a jamb, or some other issue. Like that every now and then when a primer decides to jamb and flip out and fall out through the escape hole.
View Quote
Good to hear..Mine is still in the mail somewhere.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 4:08:31 PM EDT
[#22]
New F&FB Completed Round Funnel for the Dillon Super 1050 from FF&B.  I'm happy with my blue akro bin but I know some of you wanted to do this.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 5:16:25 PM EDT
[#23]
New F&FB Completed Round Funnel for the Dillon Super 1050 from FF&B.  I'm happy with my blue akro bin but I know some of you wanted to do this.
View Quote
Awesome! I never did pick up the auto air intake..
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 6:56:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Funnel works well. I had to screw it to the bin rest because it moved a little. Once in a while, a round lands across the hole (not dropping in tube). Next round knocks it down hole. Glad I bought.

Reloading 308 on 1050 with Mark 7 autodrive with Fast & Friendly Brass Completed Round Funnel
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 3:38:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ChevelleDave] [#25]
Are you seating and crimping? Always kind of wonder about doing that to be able to get the powder check die back.

Pretty neat cartridge bin, but I like having several blue bins. But, outside brass prep, I don't usually do big runs.

Over the last week or so, I got a bucket of 2X brass processed. I so love it when I get it all set just right. Nothing better then a S1050 with a RT-1200 for brass prep. Well, I guess a Mark 7 might help.  I almost want to dedicate it to .223, and pick up another machine for the rest of my calibers.

Then I finally got the Chevelle back on the road after a 3 year hiatus, either wiped the lobes on #6, or hopefully just a collapsed lifter. Either way, there goes the budget.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:55:45 AM EDT
[#26]
I stopped crimping rifle rounds (unless I have to expand for cast).

I was loading ~1k 308 for 1919a4... Very bulk. ;)
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 2:01:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Funnel works well. I had to screw it to the bin rest because it moved a little. Once in a while, a round lands across the hole (not dropping in tube). Next round knocks it down hole. Glad I bought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOi2u1bzJ4A
View Quote
Hmmm, I might have to get me that bin.  I like the way it goes straight into the can.  Awesome!
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 3:00:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Yeah, I saw that on YouTube.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 3:12:32 PM EDT
[#29]
I don't think you would have to worry about too much of a chance of detonation with a long gradual slope like is seen in the video.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 6:37:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By anbrumm:
I don't think you would have to worry about too much of a chance of detonation with a long gradual slope like is seen in the video.
View Quote
I plan to raise cans up to make the slope more gentle. But yeah, the tube having the ripples slow it down. Still goes fast so slowing it a bit wont hurt. Also, rounds are mostly running into side of can. I plan to switch to cardboard box for a more gentle landing.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 6:41:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Yeah, I saw that on YouTube.
View Quote
You saw video my idgit friend cranking the 1919 without glasses?  Ironically, he was afraid to crank too fast. I can go through 100 rnds in seconds. Glad I got a deal on powder last year. When I have to pay current prices, I probably will sell it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:40:07 PM EDT
[#32]

You saw video my idgit friend cranking the 1919 without glasses?  Ironically, he was afraid to crank too fast. I can go through 100 rnds in seconds. Glad I got a deal on powder last year. When I have to pay current prices, I probably will sell it.
View Quote
Yup. Is that considered an automatic weapon, or semi? I'd think semi, but I know nothing of that kind of thing..
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:53:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: djryan13] [#33]

Yup. Is that considered an automatic weapon, or semi? I'd think semi, but I know nothing of that kind of thing..
View Quote
Semi with "Weasel Winder". Thus my need to find fastest and cheapest 308 reloads. ;)

BTW, I also really love the new case feed shut off mentioned above. Really makes it nice when "calibrating" the Mark 7 which cant have brass on shellplate during calibration. I came back tonight to run more 308. Locked case feeder right before I was about done yesterday. Works great.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 2:53:29 AM EDT
[#34]
I also find it nice for if you have a problem, and need to stop a case from feeding. Beats having to catch the feeder mid way to knock the case out before crushing itself on the next one in the tube.

Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:22:27 PM EDT
[#35]
RE: completed case funnel:

I should have realized this earlier but if you turn the tube upwards at the exit (forming like a ski ramp at the bottom), the finish round slows down as it exits the tube. Just the smallest slope is needed. Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 12:47:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 78Staff] [#36]
Going to pick up the case feed shutoff, I've been using a twisted up pipe cleaner wrapped around it but this is much cleaner. :).

Anybody tried this multi-led skylight for the 1050...from the pics it really looks to put out a lot of light.  Just wondering if it gets in the way with the clips and power cord, etc...

Starlight 1050

Link Posted: 6/28/2017 2:38:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By 78Staff:
Going to pick up the case feed shutoff, I've been using a twisted up pipe cleaner wrapped around it but this is much cleaner. :).

Anybody tried this multi-led skylight for the 1050...from the pics it really looks to put out a lot of light.  Just wondering if it gets in the way with the clips and power cord, etc...

Starlight-Press-Lighting-System-for-Dillon-1050

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/385949/starlight-240324.jpg
View Quote
Link not working. I use the Inline Fab light. It is ok. If you dont remove a die between caliber swaps, then its not a great option because it sits under a die. I put it under the MBF die because its the only die I remove when swapping calibers.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 6:37:11 PM EDT
[#38]
I updated the link sorry.

I tried the IF model, didn't seem to really put out that much light, although I do use the Coax and 550 version they offer.

Currently I'm using a flex goosneck clamp on LED which work ok, but with than and the cable for my powder camera and MBF cords etc the left side is getting kinda crowded.

Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:43:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Seems like a ton of light. If easy to swap between toolheads, I might try. You first.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:01:50 PM EDT
[#40]
lol OK...I ordered one.  Won't be here till next week, I post impressions then.

He sells the led wafer/plate alone as well, so it appears you could buy one for each toolhead, or swap one from toolhead to toolhead, as it appears to just clip on with 3 clips.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:49:35 PM EDT
[#41]
78, I got the stuff for the counter, I'll try get to part #'s off it tonite when I get out there.

I may still order 5 of each or something, IDK, just starting to get back in the swing of things.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:04:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 78Staff] [#42]
78, I got the stuff for the counter, I'll try get to part #'s off it tonite when I get out there.

I may still order 5 of each or something, IDK, just starting to get back in the swing of things.
View Quote
Sounds good, I was just thinking about that the other day as I was cleaning up the 1050 :).
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 3:01:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Seems like a ton of light. If easy to swap between toolheads, I might try. You first.
View Quote
Starlight came in today, seems well made.  Well, I mean it's a wafer with some LED's and a circuit board, nothing fancy about it :).  But, once installed you never see it, so seems as it should be.  Short version, so far I like it.  Haven't loaded with it yet, but will likely tonight or tomorrow as I have to load up some 9mm major loads.

Pro's
  • TONS of light.  Way more than the Inline Fab, which while not a bad option, spotlights the left side only generally, and for some reason is not very bright to my eyes.  Also brighter than my clamp on LED gooseneck mentioned earlier.  That light is pretty bright but again left side only, and clutters up the left side with the camera and MBF, etc.  (Note I also removed the allen wrench bracket, etc shown in the pics below - that thing seemed to always be in the way :(. )  Now I have pretty good lighting general lighting that covers the right side, but the Starlight pretty much gives you 360 bright LED light.
  • Easy to install.  Just slides over the guide rods, and is in fact pretty snug - the clips don't really appear necessary, but they probably include them in case of any tolerance stacking or for stability.
  • Low Profile - once you install it, it's up and out of the way.  Doesn't interfere with die rings, etc.  Only the cord which runs out the back.

Cons
  • Well, it's costly, compared to other lights (but again,much brighter).  You could move one from toolhead to toolhead, but the seller offers the led wafer separately or in 2 or 3 packs, with the price dropping slightly the more you buy - $40 for one, $33 each if you buy 3, I believe it is.  I'm going to do some more testing, but if it works as well as I think it will, I will just likely pick up a 3 pack of the led wafers, as you would use the same power cord with all.
  • A minor complaint - the power cord is the typical cord with a pigtail with the switch, which disconnects from the main cord.  The switch is on a very short section that comes off the back of the unit, so that the switch invariably winds up behind everything...unlike say the Inline Fab and MBF power cord/switches which move the switch further away, allowing some flexibility in how you organize your wiring, etc.
Anyway, so far I am pretty happy with it...unless it dies in a week or anything like that, I suspect I will be ordering more.

Link Posted: 7/3/2017 6:39:09 PM EDT
[#44]
That's super bright! I will put in wish list. Thx!
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 2:13:55 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote
Mine came today, simplicity at it's best... no more fuzzy greasy pipe cleaner lol...

Link Posted: 7/6/2017 2:25:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By 78Staff:

Mine came today, simplicity at it's best... no more fuzzy greasy pipe cleaner lol...

http://i.imgur.com/hSlpKVQ.jpg
View Quote
Case feed stop looks good.  Mines is on the way to (no more hair-band stop) and I also ordered the primer tube rack.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 10:29:37 PM EDT
[#47]
I never followed up on the Starlight - this things a keeper.  So much more light than the other units available, and clean and out of the way.  I'll be ordering a few more for my other toolheads for sure. :).
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 12:53:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 78Staff] [#48]
A couple more pics... tidied things up a bit, left side is a lot cleaner now without wrench bracket and clamp on LED...

Ran 1000 rounds of 9mm tonight.  Mixed brass, 115g, Out of a 1000 rounds, NO flipped primers (RF-100), one bullet landed upside down, and 3 primers failed to seat.  In all three the brass was PPU so suspect the pockets were on the loose side, and they were trashed.  Pretty dang good setup/run.

Starlight is bright, I may not even need the powder cam setup...very easy to see powder in the brass - but I'll leave in place for now.  Also shown is the Inline Fab case feed stop.

I picked up few items from Level10 that I will likely install next time I switch over and clean... mainly the index roller, but also picked up a cap retainer, guide rod, etc.

Link Posted: 7/10/2017 9:22:57 PM EDT
[#49]
I bought a Skylight LED for my 650XL and love it

I just bolted my S1050 to my bench and took a gamble on a 3 pack LED kit.

I wiretied it to the case feeder and it's 10X as bright as the Skylight led kit

Highly recommend!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CIWLEM0?tag=vglnk-c102-20
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 6:40:16 PM EDT
[#50]
My small swager rod broke on my 1050.

I found a fast and friendly brass version that is supposed to be stronger

Is it worth it? It's 2x what a factory one is

Any feedback?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
S1050 up grades (Page 1 of 9)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top