Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2016 8:15:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Elfy]
Very detailed Video on how to make your own annealer with parts list in description of video!
If you enjoy the video and find it useful, then please subscribe like and share :)

ELFSTER'S ~$100 DIY ANNEALER YOU CAN MAKE YOURSELF!
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 8:28:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Let me Help you out.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 8:40:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks! How do you get the video to load the correct way?
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 8:42:50 PM EDT
[#3]
that's a great vid.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 8:44:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OverScoped] [#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Elfy:

View Quote

I just wrap the link with youtube tags.

like this,   [you tube] no spaces in word you tube  link goes here [/you tube]

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 8:53:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PC-Tech] [#5]

Originally Posted By OverScoped:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By OverScoped:

I don't think Non-team members can embed video. But when your start or reply to a post, hit the flash button and put in the URL with out the "S" in HTTPS.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 9:39:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 10:29:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Very detailed Video on how to make your own annealer with parts list in description of video!
If you enjoy the video and find it useful, then please subscribe like and share :)

https://youtu.be/k0xE-6bSwME
View Quote

Nice I am going to try this for 300 blk
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 10:44:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Sounds good my friend. Might need to make the drum a little less in depth for 300blkout
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:06:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm thinking of making the box out of plywood and I noticed the front of this unit has a slight angle or slope.  Anybody know how much it slopes back?  Also does anyone have a link to a motor they're using?
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:04:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By downrivertrash:
I'm thinking of making the box out of plywood and I noticed the front of this unit has a slight angle or slope.  Anybody know how much it slopes back?  Also does anyone have a link to a motor they're using?
View Quote

If you check the video, it literally links to the motor. It links to every individual part required...
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:50:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: downrivertrash] [#11]
I was looking for a motor in the U.S. like he used but only found the one in China. I was hoping someone had a link to something similar here.  Anywho I was able to find everything else.

***I just remembered that my son left a stepper motor somewhere from an engineering project but I think it's got a 6mm shaft and rated at 1000 rpm, does anyone think that might work?
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 1:31:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dano523] [#12]
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 2:17:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Good job on the video. I need to make one of those when I get some free time.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 2:43:53 AM EDT
[#14]
no problem my friend! glad you enjoyed it!

and i just added part#4 to my reloading series on how to use it! well, at least how i use it! LOL! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d_8vDFLP9c

Originally Posted By Blowout:
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/24/2016 9:03:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Very slick OP. I've been looking at some of the DIY annealers and this one looks like one I'd like to try to build.
Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 9:36:22 AM EDT
[#16]
You betcha! Keep an eye out for my other vids and future vids !! :)

Originally Posted By warkittens:
Very slick OP. I've been looking at some of the DIY annealers and this one looks like one I'd like to try to build.
Thanks for posting.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/24/2016 10:24:02 AM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

I'm gonna watch the vid and then see if one of my spare plastic milk crates will work, maybe a little creative fabrication.

Gives me a box to start with, anybody see how that might work or be a no-go.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 11:07:17 AM EDT
[#18]
The case I used in the video is only $35 bucks. Steel and painted already

Originally Posted By smashedminer:

I'm gonna watch the vid and then see if one of my spare plastic milk crates will work, maybe a little creative fabrication.

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 6/24/2016 1:38:58 PM EDT
[#19]

View All Quotes

My thing is to use materials I already have around the house. I got plywood,  I need to find the motor my son left behind to see if it will work, I have some old power supply's laying around maybe they'll  work.  I think my wife may have a cake pan she'll donate to the cause. Maybe my dad has some angled stock I can use,  I'll scrounge around and see what I can use and not buy and spend less.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 2:36:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Now that sounds like a good idea!! Keep us updated!!

My thing is to use materials I already have around the house. I got plywood,  I need to find the motor my son left behind to see if it will work, I have some old power supply's laying around maybe they'll  work.  I think my wife may have a cake pan she'll donate to the cause. Maybe my dad has some angled stock I can use,  I'll scrounge around and see what I can use and not buy and spend less.
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 6/24/2016 3:40:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#21]
Got it.  Just ordered the motor, controller, and prop adapter.  Looks like I might have this for around $30 when the dust settles.  

I will make the rest out of stuff I already have.  I am going to try it with 1 gallon metal tomato cans that I have laying around.  I have sheet metal and a brake for the enclosure if I decide to get that fancy with it.  

I just got my refund from my Fluxeon and this looks like what I am going to go with.  Thanks  
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 3:44:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#22]
View Quote

Start with just the face plate and adjust the angle to see what works.  I am going to use a metal face with an adjustable kick stand.  I won't package mine so neatly since it is all low voltage.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 5:24:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Awesome!!!

Originally Posted By wildearp:
Got it.  Just ordered the motor, controller, and prop adapter.  Looks like I might have this for around $30 when the dust settles.  

I will make the rest out of stuff I already have.  I am going to try it with 1 gallon metal tomato cans that I have laying around.  I have sheet metal and a brake for the enclosure if I decide to get that fancy with it.  

I just got my refund from my Fluxeon and this looks like what I am going to go with.  Thanks  
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/24/2016 5:49:11 PM EDT
[#24]

Start with just the face plate and adjust the angle to see what works.  I am going to use a metal face with an adjustable kick stand.  I won't package mine so neatly since it is all low voltage.
View All Quotes

Another good idea!  Doesnt matter if the the motor sticks out the back but I have a question.  If you want to install another motor to drive a case feeder can you go off the same power source with another speed control.  I know its getting away from the original model shown but doesn't seem like much more of an expense.  Failing using another motor some other videos have given me ideas for a case feeder actuated by the cake pan, more brain storming to do.  You can really get carried away with this stuff.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 6:03:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Elfy] [#25]
if using another motor, then it's a total gamble but I'm sure it would be fine... I think the key is to make sure it falls in the 25 to 35 rpm range? and the propshaft adapter needs to match that of the motor shaft.. if the motor shaft is 8mm, then the adapter needs to match... if motor shaft is 6mm, then the adapter neds to match and so on. ... the motor I'm using is 12volt and 1amp, but I boosted my amp up to 2amp as i'm sure the digital display sucks up some of this amp i'm guessing the the 2amp power works great so far... so I would say as long as the motor is 12v, and the power supply is 12v, personally id make sure the power supply is approx. .5 to 1amp above the rating of the motor IF USING A DIGITAL DISPLAY

Another good idea!  Doesnt matter if the the motor sticks out the back but I have a question.  If you want to install another motor to drive a case feeder can you go off the same power source with another speed control.  I know its getting away from the original model shown but doesn't seem like much more of an expense.  Failing using another motor some other videos have given me ideas for a case feeder actuated by the cake pan, more brain storming to do.  You can really get carried away with this stuff.
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 6/24/2016 6:54:56 PM EDT
[#26]

and i just added part#4 to my reloading series on how to use it! well, at least how i use it! LOL! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d_8vDFLP9c
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By Blowout:

Link Posted: 6/25/2016 12:43:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Good video which brings up a question.  Does the u-bolt get hot enough to where it gets too hot where you attach it to the box or is the box pretty heat resistant?
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 4:50:41 PM EDT
[#28]
i haven't had an issue with it at all so far

Good video which brings up a question.  Does the u-bolt get hot enough to where it gets too hot where you attach it to the box or is the box pretty heat resistant?
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/25/2016 7:25:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bedlamite] [#29]
Looks like a simpler version of Skip's annealer. I need to repair mine since it was knocked off the bench a while ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-C-i0Kr2jU
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 11:19:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Yes good video. I seriously don't mind manually feeding mine as it only takes approx 5seconds per and it doesn't take long at all to do a batch of brass and you still kinda feed the hopper anyway. Plus I feel like I have more control over the process this way

Originally Posted By bedlamite:
Looks like a simpler version of Skip's annealer. I need to repair mine since it was knocked off the bench a while ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-C-i0Kr2jU
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 2:38:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: downrivertrash] [#31]

I'm getting away from using a case feeder to keep it simple. Made the box today with particle board I had laying around.  Not pretty but should work.  Wish I had a table saw, not all my cuts were as precise as I wanted.  It's probably a little bigger than the store bought box but it'll do.  Also found a round U bolt, straightened it out and later I'll bend some corners into it. I also used a piece of flashing the roofers left behind for the feeder.  Thinner than angled aluminum but should work.  The cookie tin is bigger, 6 1/2 inches so I may need to run it a little faster.  

I plan on using a round diamond blade on my drill press to cut the tin.  I'll just rotate the tin against the blade to make the cut.   If nothing else it will be good practice and ill use the baking pan instead

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:22:15 PM EDT
[#32]
sounds good bud! keep us updated! :)

I'm getting away from using a case feeder to keep it simple. Made the box today with particle board I had laying around.  Not pretty but should work.  Wish I had a table saw, not all my cuts were as precise as I wanted.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/5/2016 2:13:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Has anyone made the Annealer yet? Just wondering..
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 5:05:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: djryan13] [#34]
Great video. I would be all over this if I didnt already have a Bench Source. I love the bench source BUT hate manually feeding brass. If you come up with a hopper, please let us know. Then my Bench Source will be on Ebay. ;)
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 5:39:47 PM EDT
[#35]
When the funds come in I plan on building one.  How are things with you?  I've been praying for you.
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 6:28:38 PM EDT
[#36]
I feel good! I just got done with my first PROTON treatment! 10 more to go, surgery, recovery for 5weeks, then 11 more PROTON treatments

Originally Posted By Gimpy_AK:
When the funds come in I plan on building one.  How are things with you?  I've been praying for you.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/8/2016 11:34:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 1:55:33 PM EDT
[#38]
I've finally gotten around to ordering what I need to finish my annealer.  I was just going to do the manual loading but may upgrade later to the feeder.  In looking around to see what I could use for the feeder wheel I came up with this idea, hole saw and 2x4.

I used my hole saw for cutting doors for door knobs and cut a nice 2 inch diameter wheel out of a 2x4.  I punched out the wheel, ran a bolt through it and tightened it with a nut, then used my drill press to sand it smooth.  Now I just need to cut the slot for the case to fall into and attach the prop adapter for the motor.

I'll post pictures later, I want to finish first to make sure it works.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 2:12:24 PM EDT
[#39]
OST

for after work
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 11:53:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 1:57:19 PM EDT
[#41]
PHOTOBUCKET I've been trying to edit and add my pictures but either my computer is too slow or Photobucket is Photof****it!  I wish you could add pictures like on Ebay, lots easier.

Anywho, I finished my annealer.  Did a practice run on some scrap cases and it worked really well, I just need to get some Tempilac to set the speed right.  I went off script from the OPs video but his instructions really helped a lot.  Its not pretty but it works.  Aside from the cake pan and internals, the box was made from some scrap I had laying around.  I put in a case feeder so I can upgrade later to another motor and speed controller.  For now I can load the hopper and with a flick of my finger rotate the feeder and drop the next case onto the slide.  

I was going to cut another notch for .308 but since I shoot more .223 I can just forego the feeder since I'll do small batches of .308 and not hundreds like .223.

I'll try to post the pictures from another computer, my iPad wouldn't let me either, couldn't get the picture to link.  Thanks for looking (well reading since there're no pictures).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top