Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2016 3:21:30 AM EDT
I've just started using CFE 223 on a regular basis and I've noticed after a hundred rounds or so I get a blue powder like dusting on the flash hider and blast shield.

It isn't the greenish blue color that's associated with copper, it's definitely blue, slightly lighter then the blue on the label.

Anyone ever see this before? Not really worried about it (unless someone has information otherwise) just kinda wondering what in the chemistry would burn off and give a blue color?
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 4:06:37 AM EDT
[#1]
May very well be the copper and other residue that IS NOT being allowed to deposit in the bore, as I was lead to believe that is how the powder works. Maybe it appears as a dust of a different color in the presence of more oxygen outside the barrel. I am sure a chemist or someone from the powder company will be along shortly to fill us in. Sorry, but my last chemistry class was a long time ago.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 8:13:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 8:31:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I had the same problem/results and stopped using it. It's the dirtiest powder I've ever seen in .223. The accuracy results weren't too bad but I've developed better.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:08:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I use it a lot for .308 and 6.5 grendel with excellent results and I love the way it meters.

I think there is a tin compound in it that supposedly keeps copper from coating the bore as much. I know it's not a new concept. I'm sure someone on here can name a few other powders that had the"feature".

With the exception of the funny colored residue( which I always figured was copper) I find it to be pretty clean in my 6.5 and .308 loads atleast.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:39:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use it a lot for .308 and 6.5 grendel with excellent results and I love the way it meters.

I think there is a tin compound in it that supposedly keeps copper from coating the bore as much. I know it's not a new concept. I'm sure someone on here can name a few other powders that had the"feature".

With the exception of the funny colored residue( which I always figured was copper) I find it to be pretty clean in my 6.5 and .308 loads atleast.
View Quote

Your are correct.  In Hatcher's notebook there is reference to adding tin way back when circa WW1 or so.    They had problems with cupro nickel building up in bores.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 10:25:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 10:33:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Same, I'm getting good results with It in my 223 using 26.2 gr couldn't really tell much for dirty tho cause it's suppressed and everything I shoot seems dirty
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 1:42:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm using 26gr under a 55gr FBHP. I had noticed this before but the color wasn't as pronounced so I assumed it was copper.

Link Posted: 6/15/2016 1:44:12 PM EDT
[#9]
The actual color is a little darker then the pic.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 2:03:37 PM EDT
[#10]
That is a common color of copper residue.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 2:16:51 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote
That's what I thought at first when it was lighter and more of a greenish color.

The pic is from a brand new barrel with only 750 rounds thru it and 600 of those rounds were loaded with CFE.

ETA the other 150 rounds were with Varget or RL15 (can't remember) and a 77ge Nosler.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 2:25:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That's what I thought at first when it was lighter and more of a greenish color.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Color will vary from green towards blue depending on the make-up of the reside.  Copper carbonate is green, other species (e.g., copper(I) oxide, copper(II) oxide) mixed in will vary the hue, but you can safely assume that's copper-based reside.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 3:10:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 3:28:53 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Was CFE 223 used after other powders were fired?

So I'm thinking it is cleaning the copper out of the barrel. That's my guess.

View Quote
It was alternated. I shot some of the 55gr loads with CFE, then some 77gr with reloader.

My main concern after seeing this is using CFE with a suppressor, seeing how it builds up so fast.

All 750 rounds weren't shot in one day, the pic was taken after about 200 to 250 rounds.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 3:40:33 PM EDT
[#15]
I was just looking inside my Omega.

It doesn't appear to be making it past the blast baffle.Meh, I'm not worried about it anyway.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 3:49:19 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I was just looking inside my Omega.

It doesn't appear to be making it past the blast baffle.Meh, I'm not worried about it anyway.
View Quote
Right on. I just cleaned the blast shield over a plate to collect the participles.

It does seem to be mostly colored carbon on the outside, under the white and blue it's normal black/grey.

It cleaned up easy and if it's just collecting on the blast baffle that's easy to clean.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 4:28:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 4:58:05 PM EDT
[#18]
CFE does not use tin.  It uses bismuth.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:25:38 PM EDT
[#19]
My flash hider is the same color. I thought it was rusting.

26.7 gr CFE under a 55gr sp w/ cannaluer. PMC .223 brass and rem 7 1/2 bench rest primers.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 12:28:16 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

26.7 gr CFE under a 55gr sp w/ cannaluer. PMC .223 brass and rem 7 1/2 bench rest primers.
View Quote
I think I may switch to a different powder for my suppressed rounds.
It's a shame, I get great results with it, but I'm concerned now that the build up in the can may be excessive.

The one thing I noticed was that it cleaned up off the flash hider and blast shield pretty easily, the amount of build up in relation to the small number of rounds fired is worrying.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 12:33:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Haven't fired a round of CFE and both my A2 and FSC556 have often had blue oxide in them, figured copper, never worried about it, cleans far easier than bore fouling.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 1:19:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I think I may switch to a different powder for my suppressed rounds. It's a shame, I get great results with it, but I'm concerned now that the build up in the can may be excessive.

The one thing I noticed was that it cleaned up off the flash hider and blast shield pretty easily, the amount of build up in relation to the small number of rounds fired is worrying.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think I may switch to a different powder for my suppressed rounds. It's a shame, I get great results with it, but I'm concerned now that the build up in the can may be excessive.

You should send me all your CFE 223 just to be safe
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 1:33:31 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll just use it for Unsuppressed loads.

It's good stuff, I've been really happy with the results I get with it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 11:31:37 PM EDT
[#24]
just as a follow up, I finished out that pound and started another.. The rounds from the new pound do not create that blue powder coating.

It may have just been that one pound had something different to it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top