Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2016 7:03:18 PM EDT
I want to put roller handles on my 650's.  I don't use a strong mount (the ceiling in my reloading room is too low).  Should I just get the ends, one of the aftermarket "ergonomic" handles or the Dillon handle?

Handle replacement:

Ergonomic handle:

Dillon's roller handle:

Link Posted: 2/18/2016 7:16:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I got the Ergo.  Puts you right up near the press so you can see what's going on.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 7:52:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm going to be the odd man out and say that I really don't care for the roller handles.    They just feel awkward to me.

I find the shifter knob to be much more precise feeling in my fingers.  I can really feel what the primers are doing with the standard ball.  

I've also had a ton of problems with them coming loose.  I'm sure there's cures for that but I didn't have much luck with my attempts.    

If I had to pick through one of the examples you've shown I wouldn't mind trying the second one down in your pictures.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 8:00:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 8:10:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the Dillon Roller on a  650 and 1050. Neither is on a stand and are mounted directly to my bench. I really like them better than the ball on my 550. I do want to try an ergo handle someday.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 8:14:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm going to be the odd man out and say that I really don't care for the roller handles.    They just feel awkward to me.

I find the shifter knob to be much more precise feeling in my fingers.  I can really feel what the primers are doing with the standard ball.  

I've also had a ton of problems with them coming loose.  I'm sure there's cures for that but I didn't have much luck with my attempts.    

If I had to pick through one of the examples you've shown I wouldn't mind trying the second one down in your pictures.

View Quote
I want a roller handle because I'm blistering my hand on the ball if I run very fast.

Link Posted: 2/18/2016 8:55:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I really wish I'd have bought the ergo roller from Inline Fabrication.  I have one on my LCT and its an great accessory.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 9:10:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the Dillon one on both of my 650s.  Both are on strong mounts, and for my table height and my height, it is comfortable,  I've not tried an Inline Fab one, but the round ball sucked.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 9:26:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Personal choice on what fits you.

My case it's the Dillon aluminum handel.

The ball is horrible even with a baby sock on it, however I never used it on the XL650 press.

I think the handel end that screws on would not offer the egonomics that the offset Dillon roller handle has.

I did take the aluminum handel sleeve off and applied lubriplate grease on the shaft to end the squeak and it also made it much smoother.

Link Posted: 2/18/2016 10:03:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Dillon roller handles on 550 and 650.... but for some strange reason I did not order one with my first 1050... second 1050 came with a it however (probably order one to replace the OEM plastic roller handle that my first 1050 came with).

~g

Link Posted: 2/18/2016 10:06:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I have the inline and the Dillon... get the Inline Ergo.

It's not a night and day difference but I definitely prefer the Inline.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 10:43:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I like my Inline Fabrication roller for my 650. It's very comfortable. It does come loose sometimes. Still worth it for the comfort as I like to stand to reload.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 10:11:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Another vote for Inline Fab.  I use one on my LnL.  Well worth the $50.  I never thought that something as simple as handle would make loading more enjoyable.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 10:14:26 AM EDT
[#13]
I have Dillon rollers on my 550s and 650.
They are directly mounted to the bench.
I like them very much
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 10:59:32 AM EDT
[#14]
i have Dillon rollers on my 550 and 650

550 is plastic and I like the alloy better
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 11:23:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Especially if you do long runs, the roller handle is much easier on the palm of your hand.  I prefer the aluminum version over the plastic.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 10:50:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I like my Inline Fabrication roller for my 650. It's very comfortable. It does come loose sometimes. Still worth it for the comfort as I like to stand to reload.
View Quote

Ditto on the Inline Fabrication roller handle.  It has a much different arc to the shaft which stopped shoulder pain for me completely.  Mine has shown no inclination to come loose.  But loose parts on hand operated things can usually be stopped with Permatex Purple thread locker.  It's the low strength stuff, not as strong as blue, but strong enough to hold even AR-15 handguards in place.  

Link to Permatex Purple  The Permatex website says that the bolt size is limited to 1/4 inch or 6 mm.  In my experience, it has worked well on hand operated things of any size.  I think that using it on a Dillon XL-650 handle should not be a problem unless the nut falling off could cause a safety hazard.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 10:53:52 PM EDT
[#17]
If it comes loose I'll just apply some blue thread locker.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 11:55:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I want a roller handle because I'm blistering my hand on the ball if I run very fast.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try a tennis ball over the round handle
I use these on my Al dillon rollers. Had some takeoffs in a parts bin,  figured why not. I turned them inside out, less spongy (foam) then as intended use.

http://www.amazon.com/Grab-Motorcycle-Foam-Grip-Covers/dp/B003PDUHF2/ref=sr_1_2/182-7041843-0609443?ie=UTF8&qid=1456113140&sr=8-2&keywords=motorcycle+grip+cover
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top