Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2015 11:12:48 PM EDT
Any .45-70 reloaders in here?

Black or smokeless, I'm gearing up for both.

Wanted to see if anybody has done any work with this great old caliber.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:22:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:49:04 AM EDT
[#2]
One on my favorite calibers... RE7 is your friend with lasercast bullets if you have a marlin. 40gr. of reloader 7 with the 405gr bullet is magic!  This is for marlin or stronger firearms. I got this load out of the lasercast loadbook. Verify before trying.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:06:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:15:10 AM EDT
[#4]
12gr of Trail Boss with a 405gr lead pill makes a great plinking load in my Guide Gun.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:45:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
12gr of Trail Boss with a 405gr lead pill makes a great plinking load in my Guide Gun.
View Quote

12 grains in a .45-70 case?  That sounds way low but to be fair, I know not what I'm talking about yet, lol.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:27:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

12 grains in a .45-70 case?  That sounds way low but to be fair, I know not what I'm talking about yet, lol.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TrailBoss is a very high volume powder, so even at 12g it will fill the case enough to be safe.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:17:11 AM EDT
[#7]
It is a great caliber to reload! You can make plinking rounds with cast bullets that have barely any recoil or you can load up 500gr rounds that will take down dinosaurs. It can also be amazingly accurate, even at long range where you feel like you are lobbing in rounds like a mortar. Tool up and get to work!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:43:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:56:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It is a great caliber to reload! You can make plinking rounds with cast bullets that have barely any recoil or you can load up 500gr rounds that will take down dinosaurs. It can also be amazingly accurate, even at long range where you feel like you are lobbing in rounds like a mortar. Tool up and get to work!
View Quote

Sir, FWIW I use a Lyman 525gr cast bullet with about 68gr of ffg BP.  My range only goes to 300yd but with my Sharps it's consistently inside the ten ring of the SR3 target.  I also have a 1886 Win with the same cartridge but I use 4198 with a 405 cast bullet with gas checks.  Very accurate at 300yds but not quite as good as the Sharps. JMHO, 7zero1.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:28:31 AM EDT
[#10]
I have done some 45-70 BP with hollow base bullets for my trapdoor.  These I usually do with hand tools and a portable press at the range.    

I also do some BP for my 45-90 on the bench for my rolling block.  ( maybe 100 rnds a year or so)
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:52:43 AM EDT
[#11]
I really like cast bullets in the 45-70.  Here is a Lyman hollow point design that works very well.  Recovered a slug from a whitetail buck, in the center of photo.  No need to use heavy loads for deer hunting.  Mine are around 1700 fps, comfortable to shoot and do the job.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:50:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

TrailBoss is a very high volume powder, so even at 12g it will fill the case enough to be safe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Think heavy for caliber 45 Colt loads
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:21:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I shoot cast bullets for light loads, jacketed for heavy hunting loads. A Remingtom 405 JSP over a stout charge of H335 will ...

... Get your attention
... Make a very impressive fireball at dawn and dusk
... Hit like Thor's hammer

I've owned a 1975 vintage Marlin 1895 for about 25 years. It's got a 22 inch micro groove barrel and shoots jacketed bullets so well that I haven't seriously tried cast in it.

I've had a variety of other 45-70s, from other 1895s to Browning 1886s, a Ruger #1, and a Shiloh Sharps. Never shots hem much except with cast bullets. The only one I still own is a stainless guide gun that's been to Brockmans for some TLC.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:21:11 PM EDT
[#14]
1895 Talo STBL stainless big loop, pistol grip.
1895 Ltd3 1 of 1000 octagon barrel blued straight stock.
Both18" barrels

350gr laser cast 50 or 52gr. 3031
405gr with 45gr. 3031
I've also got 2lbs of reloader 7  I've yet to try.
Seller&Bellot large primers work well for my hammer fired guns and are reasonably priced.
I've got about 170 Winchester cases.
Next time I'll buy starline brass.
Nothing wrong with win. Brass just starline is more affordable.

New ammo is +/-$1.75 reloads are way cheaper my 1895 's no longer gather dust
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:15:27 PM EDT
[#15]
I would not have gotten into 45-70 reloading had I not gotten into casting last year (for 12ga slugs). It's an expensive round even when reloading if you don't cast. I like cheaper bullets for "plinking" guns and most of my guns are just for plinking.

I run a 350gr gas checked load with imr 4198.

I run trapdoor loads in my Springfield trapdoor and henry lever. No need to rattle my head anymore than it already is.

It's a fun load but if you plan to run a lot, you can easily talk yourself into starting a new hobby.. casting.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:28:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I would not have gotten into 45-70 reloading had I not gotten into casting last year (for 12ga slugs). It's an expensive round even when reloading if you don't cast. I like cheaper bullets for "plinking" guns and most of my guns are just for plinking.

I run trapdoor loads in my Springfield trapdoor and henry lever. No need to rattle my head anymore than it already is.

It's a fun load but if you plan to run a lot, you can easily talk yourself into starting a new hobby.. casting.
View Quote

Funny thing is I taught myself how to cast (or sort of did, anyway) before ever actually loading up and .45-70 rounds.  Check this out.  How do they look?

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:32:42 PM EDT
[#17]
By the way, does Ruger still offer their "No. 1" rifle in .45-70?

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:34:25 PM EDT
[#18]
IIRC I used to load a slightly heavier gas checked bullet - 385 gr (maybe, don't think it's made anymore) over a charge of IMR 3031.  I think you could load anywhere from about 30 grains to over 50 in a ruger no.1.    The whambo loads almost duplicate .458 win mag. - on both ends.  Calculated recoil was about 3x my .300 win mag.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:37:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
IIRC I used to load a slightly heavier gas checked bullet - 385 gr (maybe, don't think it's made anymore) over a charge of IMR 3031.  I think you could load anywhere from about 30 grains to over 50 in a ruger no.1.    The whambo loads almost duplicate .458 win mag. - on both ends.  Calculated recoil was about 3x my .300 win mag.
View Quote

Holy cow.  Did you have to have your shoulder surgically repaired on the way home from the range?  Dang.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:19:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Look good enough to shoot to me.

I prefer gas checked though.. More money but less time cleaning. hehe

Quoted:

Funny thing is I taught myself how to cast (or sort of did, anyway) before ever actually loading up and .45-70 rounds.  Check this out.  How do they look?

http://i.imgur.com/sZH3HMV.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/sZH3HMV.jpg

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:36:22 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a Marlin 1895 Guide Gun. It's a ported one. I use IMR-4198 and 300gr jacketed hollow point for deer and black bear.

I never considered shooting cast because I don't want to lead foul the porting. But I have very recently started powder coating my cast bullets this is proving to be a game changer. I think I'll be shopping for a .458 mould soon.

BTW: The 300gr jacketed hollow point, weather it's the Sierra or Remington brand is simply devastating on whitetail deer.

Motor
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:31:11 PM EDT
[#22]
I just load for a NEF Handi Rifle at the trapdoor/black powder pressure equivalent level.

IMR 4198 works great with 300 - 405 grain jacketed and cast bullets.

I think I can load to lever action pressures, but these loads are powerful enough for my needs.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:52:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I've owned a 1975 vintage Marlin 1895 for about 25 years. It's got a 22 inch micro groove barrel and shoots jacketed bullets so well that I haven't seriously tried cast in it.

View Quote

Don't.  Unless you like hitting your targets (maybe) with sideways flying bullets, then spending a couple of hours scrubbing lead out of those microgrooves when you're done shooting.  Don't ask me how I know these things.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:59:12 PM EDT
[#24]
So does anybody know if Ruger still makes a No. 1 chambered in this caliber?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:07:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:20:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Think you meant Ruger. I would check their website.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So does anybody know if Marline still makes a No. 1 chambered in this caliber?

Think you meant Ruger. I would check their website.

Wow.  Yea, I meant Ruger.  And I do actually know how to spell "Marlin".  Late night.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:22:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top