Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2015 10:50:20 PM EDT
Trying to work up a load for my SSG 69,  So far the only thing I got an acceptable group with with Win match 168g SMK ammo

I tried some of the various loads I had put aside after working up a load for my PSS years ago..   Mostly all with IMR4064, BR2 primers, and Win brass.     All of them shot around 1-1.5" groups @ 100.  Which followed suit with some GMM I had and tried as well.        The Win ammo did two under 1/4" groups.    So clearly the gun like whatever they used.       AFIK the only difference would be the powder and the primer since most of my loads were win brass, and a good # of them 168g SMK.  

Would it be a safe bet they are using 748?  

Anyone have and experience loading for an SSG?  If so what did you find worked well in it?

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 11:14:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I am tagging this because I have wondered this too.  I seem to remember something about them using a proprietary powder that is not available over the counter and is used exclusively but I could be mistaken.  I would think it to be true because if it was a standard available bulk powder everyone would be loading these rounds up themselves and the company wouldn't be able to sell the manufactured rounds as fast as they can crank them out.  IMO of course.  If anyone has any definite info on this I would love to know also.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 11:30:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I've read that the manufactures have powders which are not available to reloaders.  Further, each lot of a specific ammo might not have the same powder but a powder which gives the same performance.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 11:42:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've read that the manufactures have powders which are not available to reloaders.  Further, each lot of a specific ammo might not have the same powder but a powder which gives the same performance.
View Quote

Yeah, that is pretty much what I have read in the past.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 11:44:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 5:47:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Would it be a safe bet they are using 748?      
View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:46:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Try Reloader 15.

IMR4895 was the standard target load powder for many years.   Always worked fine for me.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:27:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 6:10:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for info,  Will play around and see what I can come up with..    Next couple days I may have some time to just try some various charges of various powders I have on hand ( within my books of course )    and drag out the chrony next trip to the range.    My gut feeling says the Win is a bit slower than GMM.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:35:47 PM EDT
[#9]
As stated above OEM use powders call NON-Canister grades of powder, while similar to say IMR 4895 it may not be the same exact thing. Translated, there is greater lot to lot variance in NON-Canister grades of powder then that destined to the LGS store shelves!

As stated, above also, what is good advice...Chron to benchmark and then find a powder that you match the velocity  and you should be golden!
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:48:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Try Varget if you can find some
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 10:15:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Try Varget if you can find some
View Quote

LGS has it..   I can pick some up this weekend.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 10:18:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I think I have read that it is 4064 and that loads with it are closest to duplicating the GMM. Don't hold me to it but 4064 works well for me
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 10:19:32 PM EDT
[#13]
MR4895 and H4895 started off as different batches of the 'same' powder.

Once they became 'canister grade' they have slightly different load data.

Commercial reloaders (and the mil) buy powder by the multi-ton lot.
They use a pressure receiver and ballistic chronograph to develop a loading that meets the specs for the cartridge.
Then then load using that lot of powder until there is not enough left for the next ammunition batch.

The remains of these lots occasionally show up from sources like Accurate powder company.
Accurate calls the 'data' powders.
They provide some suggested load data for cartridges the powder is suitable for.
A hand-loader is left with working up a final load in their gun.

The powder is less expensive than canister grade.
It is not better or worse it just has more variation from lot to lot than canister grade.
Powder manufacture is not that exact a thing.

Even canister grade has some lot to lot variation.
If you switch to a new powder lot your 'pet' load may need some adjustment.
At the very least it needs to have a 'work up' repeated.

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 10:27:05 PM EDT
[#14]
5 shot group SSG69 100 yards
Shot by my nephew a few weeks ago. he was home on leave and wanted to shoot the SSG.

after 3 shots, I decided to mess with him a little. Told him to pull the rear trigger first. (this sets the Set Trigger, that is about 10 ounces)

He pulled it right a little, but not bad for never having pulled a set trigger before.

lines are 1 inch

The load

Varget 44.0 grains
Mil "Match" cases
Nosler 168 grain custom competition seconds
CCI LR primer

My SSG likes bullets right up to the rifling
(loaded long)

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:00:03 PM EDT
[#15]
I second 4895.  It is our primary rifle powder for calibers over .223.  Start with a listed starting load, and work up, and see how it does.  We've had great results in 30.06, 308, 7.5x55 swiss, 6.5 swedish, and .35 Whelen.  Varget has a great rep also in .308 and 30.06, but I  never used it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:27:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I think I have read that it is 4064 and that loads with it are closest to duplicating the GMM. Don't hold me to it but 4064 works well for me
View Quote

It does..  And out of my PSS It makes little cloverleafs all day, and even at 300y (furthest I can shoot at the range) 3/4" to 1" is pretty common.    .       Even out of the SSG,  the groups are almost Identical,  but no where near as good as the PSS.  ,
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:36:55 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

5 shot group SSG69 100 yards

Shot by my nephew a few weeks ago. he was home on leave and wanted to shoot the SSG.

after 3 shots, I decided to mess with him a little. Told him to pull the rear trigger first. (this sets the Set Trigger, that is about 10 ounces)

He pulled it right a little, but not bad for never having pulled a set trigger before.

lines are 1 inch

The load

Varget 44.0 grains

Mil "Match" cases

Nosler 168 grain custom competition seconds

CCI LR primer

My SSG likes bullets right up to the rifling

(loaded long)

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af149/codesmith/5%20shots%20ssg69%20connor_zpsyulfdh75.jpg
View Quote

Nice!    I have the 2-stage single trigger on mine.    My Dad got his a couple weeks later with a double set trigger.

I didn't think to check the OAL on this one,  probably be a good thing to look at too.   Thanks
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:04:58 AM EDT
[#18]
I use Varget.  It's consistent, and I achieve great results with it and Sierra 168gr SPBT bullets.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:25:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I use Varget.  It's consistent, and I achieve great results with it and Sierra 168gr SPBT bullets.
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 6:33:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Back from range.  

Tried a few different combos

Varget 43g and 44g with SMK and J4 bullets with both 210M and Win WLP in new brass and neck sized brass.   All seated about 5thou off the lands.  

Also did the same with 43g of IMR4320.  

Varget groups were all about 3/4-1"  regardless of primer or brass.  

4320 was a 1/2" with the 210M and a cloverleaf with the WLP.

SO it looks like slower powder is the way to go with this gun.    I am happy with the 4320 group,  but may even play around some more over the long weekend with some 4350, N150 and N540

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:09:36 PM EDT
[#21]
IMR 4064 is the powder currently in FGMM 168/175.

Since Lapua 167s outshot FGMM 168s from my 308, I chose to go primarily with the 167s.

IMR 4064 and N140 produce similar high-quality results for me with the 167s.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:40:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

The batch I have makes a funny stench on the firing line.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top