Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2015 3:49:20 AM EDT
Hello.

I purchased a MagnetoSpeed V3 to do some MV recording on some factory ammo that I shoot (mostly FGMM).  Specifically, I am trying to capture the MV differences, based on the temperature of the cartridge.  This will help me dial in some ballistic firing solutions for my rifle at various ranges.  

I was curious if I could artificially introduce cold/hot temperature change differences to the cartridges and use that data?  For example, could I seal 10 baggies (5 rounds in each bag) and put it in a cooler of salt/ice, lowering the temperature of the cartridges to say 30o.  Then, remove one bag and shoot 5 rounds at the ~35o case temperature to record the muzzle velocity.  Then, grab another bag and let them warm up to say 40, and shoot them - record the results.  Repeating at each 10o F interval.

Ultimately, collecting a broad range difference in case temperatures.  Using 3 or 5 rounds each as a control test for MV (taking the average?) - should give me the necessary data I am looking for - right?

I am only trying to capture the initial MV - not the external ballistics atmospheric influence of the actual outside temperature.  Anyone see anything wrong with this approach?  I don't have the time to spend a year or travel to various different regions collecting this data.

Thanks,
Mike
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 6:41:06 AM EDT
[#1]
It will work a little bit. The temp of your action and chamber will influence it pretty quickly. If the ambient is pretty high the increase will be faster.

Do you have a laser temp meter? You will need one.

IM me your email and I will send you a file with MV temp curves. Not exact, but a really good start once you start plugging in data.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:28:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hello.

I purchased a MagnetoSpeed V3 to do some MV recording on some factory ammo that I shoot (mostly FGMM).  Specifically, I am trying to capture the MV differences, based on the temperature of the cartridge.  This will help me dial in some ballistic firing solutions for my rifle at various ranges.  

I was curious if I could artificially introduce cold/hot temperature change differences to the cartridges and use that data?  For example, could I seal 10 baggies (5 rounds in each bag) and put it in a cooler of salt/ice, lowering the temperature of the cartridges to say -6 F.  Then, remove one bag and shoot 5 rounds at the ~35o case temperature to record the muzzle velocity.  Then, grab another bag and let them warm up to say 40, and shoot them - record the results.  Repeating at each 10o F interval. The outside side of the case will probably be a different temp than the powder making it difficult to know what the temp is

Ultimately, collecting a broad range difference in case temperatures.  Using 3 or 5 rounds each as a control test for MV (taking the average?) - should give me the necessary data I am looking for - right?

I am only trying to capture the initial MV - not the external ballistics atmospheric influence of the actual outside temperature.  Anyone see anything wrong with this approach?  I don't have the time to spend a year or travel to various different regions collecting this data.

Also, the chamber will heat up your rounds quick! I suggest loading the rounds one at a time from the magazine. let the bolt slam shut, the fire immediately. You just want velocity as a function of temp correct?

Thanks,
Mike
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 1:17:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies.

I am looking for velocity changes due to cartridge temperature changes.  I figured if the action/chamber was hot, it would give me little time to work with, so this would definitely be a "take your time" sort of test.  I probably would wait multiple minutes between shots to try to keep the case as cool as possible or at the desired temperature.  I don't currently have a temp gun, but that is what I had planned on using to measure the outside case temperature.  

I figured that I would seal the rounds waterproof and let them sit in the cooler for 8 hours or so, to insure that the powder, primer, brass case, and bullet were all equally at the same temperature.  For the subsequent temperature tests, I figured I would remove a round and let it sit in the shade/sun and slowly start to warm.  As the brass came to the next temperature - I would quickly drop it in the chamber and shoot it.

Last night, I purchased a MAGNETOSPEED CHRONOGRAPH V3 KIT (ouch on the price!!) - so it should be easy to have setup and ready to go once each case is at the desired temperature.  I planned on using the following measured scale:

- 40o Fahrenheit
- 50o Fahrenheit
- 60o Fahrenheit
- 70o Fahrenheit
- 75o Fahrenheit
- 80o Fahrenheit
- 85o Fahrenheit
- 90o Fahrenheit
- 95o Fahrenheit
- 100o Fahrenheit

I figure, I would shoot three (3) shots at each temperature bracket and record that data.  I would average out the MV for each bracket and use that average for all ballistic calculations.

question: Muzzle Velocity changes, by case temperature differences, is not linear - correct?

For if it was linear, I could just do one or two measurements and calculate the chart line.  Yet, I figured it wasn't based off of some marketing stuff I have read.  I read one gun powder manufacturer state that they try to be more tolerant or less susceptible to Muzzle Velocity changes from a few degree of temperature swings.  This made me think it wouldn't be a linear change then, if they could control that?

Ultimately, once I have this information - it should be the final piece of the ballistics puzzle for my rifle.  I should be able to enter in the various inputs and accurately project terminus at very long ranges!

BTW, I am doing all this work for my new rifle:

TacOps XRay 51:

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:25:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 5:21:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice rifle!  Dry ice might be better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top