Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2015 6:56:00 PM EDT
I had been toying with the idea of switching over to a Dillon but after some research I decided to stick with the LnL and ended up ordering a case feeder.

Is it going to work as good as it looks in all of their video's?

Anything I should pay particular attention to during setup?
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:25:23 PM EDT
[#1]
google is your friend on this one , lots of information right here on AR15

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/354400_Hornady_Lock_N_Load_automatic_case_feeder_problem.html
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:45:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine's working pretty well.
I suspect that 2011 thread DF linked to is for the prior gen...Hornady has made at least one 'silent update' on them..some tweaks may be needed, calibers depending...will dig up my notes and post tomorrow if no one else has..
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 7:04:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I've had a few issues with mine, Ive got 3 calls into Hornady support, and theve done well helping me sort thru things.

Bigest fixes for me: Make sure the pivot block assembly fully contains the nut that holds it to the mounting rod. I thought I did this during assembly, but when i looked it was sitting up on top of the nut...

Put a mag level on the mounting rod, and attach it so its level.

Make sure that the pivot block is straight compared to the plastic tube, I had to file off a little flashing on the pivot block to make it sit flush.

Now I juts need to fashion something up to keep smaller cases from falling from the collator into the funnel sideways, causing the logjam and raining brass  issues. (this never happens when the press is not in operation, so I'm thinking it's due to bench shaking.) -- ETA this problem was greatly reduced today by borrowing a grease gun, and actually using the grease fittings. The grease in the joints seems to tighten things up a bit and reduces quite a bit of the shake that hapens at the collator from operating the press, Just cycled 1000 9mm cases without a single logjam, or having a case falling off the shellplate (the above mentioned level adjustments fixed the falling off the shellplate issue for me without the addition of the pvc piece that I see frequently added. I haven't had any luck finding thinwall pvc in any of the fish shops locally, so I was forced to fix it another way!)

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:38:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info, it should be here later today so hopefully I get it setup and running today.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:33:59 AM EDT
[#6]
A casefeeder is going to make any machine much more enjoyable.

Good luck with it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:45:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:15:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Here'e my writeup from another forum RE: the Hornady case feeder.. (using currently for 9mm, .223, .308):
Hornady did silently update their case feeder some time back (maybe a year or so?).  
Previously, there were some talking about 're-clocking' the collator vs the tube position, to line them up more properly...this is no longer an issue.  

The case feeder isn't perfect.  There is some initial adjustment that isn't terribly obvious, adjusting the effective tube length to ensure a pair of cases can't jam the sensor, like so:

Once adjusted, however, this issue is adjusted once and forgotten, and will fill the tube looking something like this:

As the 'pusher blocks' don't extend all the way downwards, I've added a 'pusher' made of a paper clip, to help push the shells from the bottom (much less chance of tipping for e.g. .223).  

Someone else has posted pics elsewhere of extending the drop tube with a piece of thin-walled PVC or other tube, which also helps.  I've done it with a piece of clear tubing, I think I got from Linen and Things online..no pic, but it just slips over the silver drop tube shown here:
ry4mABc.jpg

On the opening adjustment above the funnel - some people seem to tighten it up/make the opening smaller vs wider, but I've stuck with the Hornady instructions, just adjust it so a 'head-first' case hits the slider before it reaches center of balance.  I think I even leave the adjustment alone swapping between .223 and 9mm nowadays.

Last on my mods list...I believe Hornady really should have designed and included a few funnel tube inserts.  With shorter cases (e.g. 9mm), it's possible for the case to occasionally lodge itself in the funnel front to back, which will then result in 'brass rain' as it blocks off the funnel and tube.  I cut up a primer tray that sits on the front face of the funnel, which makes the front to back distance < length of a 9mm case, and eliminates that problem.  .223 could infrequently manage the same side to side, so - another cut up primer tray hooked into the left hand side of the funnel pretty much resolves that.  You can see that 'insert' in one of my pics above.  

With these things done, for me, for .223 and 9mm, it's pretty good.  Not perfect as in 100%, never any brass rain or jams at all, but pretty good, as in I can usually load for a session of 200-500 9mm with 0 or 1 issues, and similarly for .223.  It's reliable enough that I haven't quite become motivated enough to chase down that 'final few %.'  What will happen occasionally is a jam of sorts at the top of the tube, but still in the collator.  As the Dillon and Hornady collator plates are identical, maybe this happens on Dillon as well?  What I *think* is happening is you get multiple cases still on top of each other somehow at the top of the rotation, with one case in the correct 'ready to drop' slot/position, but then the motor's rotational speed is slightly too fast for the 'extra' cases, causing a jam.  If so, there seem to be two ways to solve it - adding a rheostat or fixed resistance to slow the motor down slightly, or maybe putting a slot in the side of the collator to put a 'wiper' on the inside of the collator, knocking back any 'extra' cases just before the case drop.  One of these days, I may get to it..maybe. :)

Pretty happy with it overall, but wanted to add some more info in case someone digs this thread up later..or, of course, if anyone has the 'last remaining issue' above solved already. :)
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:56:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Got the case feeder all set up yesterday and working. I was pretty surprised it all went together fairly easy. I am going to use that paperclip trick, I ran about 150 test cases through the feeder and that definitely looks like the biggest problem with it so far.

I hope to have time to load ammo with it later this week, between this and the manual bullet feeder system, I should be able to put out more than the 200 rounds an hour I was previously sitting at.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top