Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2015 9:48:18 PM EDT
Broke my trusty RCBS Kinetic puller tonite after many years of great service.

It has me thinking that there has to be a better way to pull a bullet other than beating it until your hand is numb.

What other methods are available?
What manufacturers are suggested?
Price range?
Any cons to the systems?

I am thinking a collet style puller, but I want to know if there is something better.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:51:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Kinetic pullers are the cheapest and work quite well.

I also use RCBS's collet style. It works fine, but cost much more because you have to buy a collet for every caliber you own.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:53:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the RCBS collet puller, it works good but needs to be set up in a separate press.  If I only have a few bullets then I use a kinetic puller, as its faster to use.  If you have to pull a bunch the collet puller is definitely the way to go.  If I would do it again Id probably get the hornady collet puller with the lever on top, it requires less movement to clamp down on the bullet.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:58:24 PM EDT
[#3]
A collet puller is the way to go, except for cast bullets.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:58:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:08:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
<a href="http://s250.photobucket.com/user/dryflash3/media/Tools/P1010366.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/dryflash3/Tools/P1010366.jpg</a>

RCBS and Hornady both make a collet puller. Of the two the Hornady is faster and easier to use.

You will need a collet for each caliber.

Even with a collet puller, you still need a kinetic every now and then for pistol rounds.
View Quote

will the rcbs collets work in the Hornady puller?
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:09:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep,  eventually you'll want both.

use a collet type for jacketed rifle rounds.  I have an older Forster but if I were to replace it I'd get a Hornady Cam lock.  They shine when you have to pull a bunch of the same thing, say when working up loads and hitting a max for your gun early.  When you have 10 charges per increased charge increment that you can't use it's the ticket.

You can never go wrong with a kinetic type, always works but it's more effort and slow but it's the only thing that will work on lead or wadcutters seated deep.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:12:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:13:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
No.  

Look at my pic again, the RCBS collets are belled on the end, the Hornady is not.

The collets are sitting in the die box.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
<a href="http://s250.photobucket.com/user/dryflash3/media/Tools/P1010366.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/dryflash3/Tools/P1010366.jpg</a>

RCBS and Hornady both make a collet puller. Of the two the Hornady is faster and easier to use.

You will need a collet for each caliber.

Even with a collet puller, you still need a kinetic every now and then for pistol rounds.

will the rcbs collets work in the Hornady puller?
No.  

Look at my pic again, the RCBS collets are belled on the end, the Hornady is not.

The collets are sitting in the die box.

Yeah, that's what I figured (dammit )

thanks
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:20:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, that was quick.

I am traditionally an RCBS-man, but I do like my Hornady equipment as well. I like that the Hornady has the lever on top.

What I have found in the past is that the kinetic puller does not work as well on rifle rounds, especially .223, since there is less bullet weight to create kinetic energy.  I may just get a new kinetic to handle the pistol stuff.

As a side note, do you think RCBS' great warranty will work on my broke puller?  That would save me enough there to get started on a new puller system.

Thanks everybody!
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:28:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:14:32 AM EDT
[#11]
dryflash,
Now that you mention that, I have heard of doing that, but it never occurs to me when I am pulling. Thanks for the reminder.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:04:05 AM EDT
[#12]
I've never been a fan of kinetic pullers, so I ended up with both the RCBS and the Hornady press mounted pullers.

Owning and having used both, I lean a little toward the Hornady because I like the quick lever actuation, but I have no criticisms for the RCBS either.

That's about all I can add.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:52:05 AM EDT
[#13]
RCBS collet puller. I bought one and wondered why I waited so long.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:07:13 AM EDT
[#14]
I've looked at both units and had decided I'd buy the RCBS when the time comes due to several negative views regarding breakage of the cam lever on the Hornady.  Have any of you guys had this issue?  I've looked through the complaints and looked at the parts / design of the puller, and can see how it could be an issue.  However, I also wonder if the folks making those complaints aren't misusing it or applying gorilla strength...

On that subject, how much force is required to operate one of those pullers?  Out of the bullets pulled, how many are lost to damage?
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 10:17:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've looked at both units and had decided I'd buy the RCBS when the time comes due to several negative views regarding breakage of the cam lever on the Hornady.  Have any of you guys had this issue?  I've looked through the complaints and looked at the parts / design of the puller, and can see how it could be an issue.  However, I also wonder if the folks making those complaints aren't misusing it or applying gorilla strength...

On that subject, how much force is required to operate one of those pullers?  Out of the bullets pulled, how many are lost to damage?
View Quote

Force depends on crimping force.  Its really not bad.  I have pulled lead bullets and reused them without issue.  You will get a line where the collet bites into the jacket.  Sometime the collet slips when you try to keep the pull damage to the minimum.  You can lose a few, but most of the time they come out pretty good.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 12:07:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I have the RCBS, the twist to lock/unlock is the same twist that causes the collet to adjust, and can be a bit of a PITA,
If it ever breaks, I'll get a Hornady, the lever would be Nice, (especially if your press were using LNL bushings)
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 12:16:29 PM EDT
[#17]
RCBS collet puller.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 12:34:31 PM EDT
[#18]
I use a pliers with rubber tips as a puller right now.  Run the round up, grab the bullet, run the press down.  Works pretty dang well, and most of the time doesnt damage the bullet.  If I scratch a bullet badly, I throw it in a bucket, and load it for blasting ammo for my kids.

Im going to throw a different option out there.

Grip N Pull

Being the redneck engineer I am, I can make one of these myself pretty easily.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:20:00 PM EDT
[#19]
I really like the Hornady one, just pulled 200 9MM FMJ bullets from some 1950's era ammo, The Hornady made it a fast and easy job.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:32:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Kinetic pullers leave the bullet in pristine condition with a bit of sponge in place to catch it.

Do the collet pullers leave all the pulled bullets unmarked?
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:37:53 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a Hornady puller works great.  I haven't noticed any marks, but i have prob only pulled 50
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 11:01:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 11:16:15 PM EDT
[#23]
The collet pullers are the way to go.  I've got the Hornady.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:05:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I use a pliers with rubber tips as a puller right now.  Run the round up, grab the bullet, run the press down.  Works pretty dang well, and most of the time doesnt damage the bullet.  If I scratch a bullet badly, I throw it in a bucket, and load it for blasting ammo for my kids.

Grip N Pull

View Quote

Any opinions on these grip-n-pull. They look pretty fast and awesome

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:48:35 AM EDT
[#25]
I use the RCBS collet puller for 223 only as it took to many whacks to get the 223 out if it came out at all.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:41:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Grip N Pull

Never saw that before. I like the simple idea, but the moment I look at it I think "pain". Arthritus, you see.

Due to that, I'll have to stay with the RCBS and Hornady collet pullers.

Neat idea, though. And simple. I'll just assume that it works as designed, and I were 20 years younger, I think I'd give one a try.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:46:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Made an order for a RCBS collet puller with .224, .30, and .270 collets.

Also, I realized that my broken kinetic puller was a Frankford Arsenal, not an RCBS, so I ordered another one of those as well to pop the occasional rifle and pistol round that needs pulling.

Midway had it all in stock and on sale. I ordered me a spare Gerber pocket knife with free shipping and it dropped my total shipping costs to $1.80.

Thanks for all the suggestions, but in the end, my affinity for green dies won out.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:00:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It has me thinking that there has to be a better way to pull a bullet other than beating it until your hand is numb.
View Quote

What are you hitting it against?  I used to have trouble when hitting against the carpeted floor.

You may want to try to find a 2'x2' sheet of plywood or something similar.  I got lucky and had a friend give me a piece of ballistic rated fiberglass wall board.  Perfect surface to hit the kinetic puller against.

Most of the time it only takes one or two hits to completely dislodge a bullet.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 12:19:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Never saw that before. I like the simple idea, but the moment I look at it I think "pain". Arthritus, you see.

Neat idea, though. And simple. I'll just assume that it works as designed, and I were 20 years younger, I think I'd give one a try.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Grip N Pull

Well, I use a pliers with rubber jaws, and I seldom damage a bullet.  Its fast and easy.  I dont pull that many bullets, so its an ideal solution for me.  Buying a collet puller to pull 2-3 bullets per 1000 just doesnt make sense for me.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 1:01:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

What are you hitting it against?  I used to have trouble when hitting against the carpeted floor.

You may want to try to find a 2'x2' sheet of plywood or something similar.  I got lucky and had a friend give me a piece of ballistic rated fiberglass wall board.  Perfect surface to hit the kinetic puller against.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use the end of a 4x4 post.
When pulling crimped in 55 gr bullets, it takes much more force and number of strikes to loosen the bullet. It is a kinetic puller and light bullets have little kinetic energy to be pulled. A big ole fat 230 grn .45 slug pulls relatively easy in it.

In any case I have ordered a collet puller and replacement kinetic so all is well in the world.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top