Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2015 1:38:01 PM EDT

edit: just received email from Troy and they will be issuing a refund and also pay return shipping.  Aside from my bad experience with the product, the company seems to be stand up about it.  I do hope they can rectify the issue.

Posting up as a warning to people considering the Trim It tool.  I think I read a thread on this forum and saw some good reviews for this device on youtube.  I was considering a WFT prior to my purchase of the Time IT tool.  I bought the package with .223/308(2 dies included) and an additional 300blkout die.  Product arrived in a reasonable amount of time.  To back up a bit, the reason I chose this device is that instead of having a dedicated tool per caliber as in the WFT, you could change out the dies at the end and for a nominal fee trim multiple calibers.  Users also reported that the tool produced very nice case mouths with no "need" to debur unless the user was so inclined.  Similar to how people talk about the Dillon case trimmer.  Maybe not perfect, but definitely good enough unless you need that last little bit of OCD scratched.

So once I setup the shipped product, I was immediately disappointed in how the unit trimmed.  Case mouths looked like a rat had chewed on them.  Granted I'm frustrated, and the tale will tell this, but there is NO WAY in hell you could take any of these cases and load them.  Brass shavings were still attached to the case mouth.  Some strands of brass were several mm long hanging off of the case mouth.  There was a lot of wobble/imbalance in the mechanism.  At first, I thought maybe I was doing something wrong.  This was the first trimmer I had ever used.  I emailed the company and within a couple of hours I had received an email from Troy at ACT.  He gave me some recommendations which I tried.  They did not help.  Further correspondence happened, and I mentioned the wobble and he then diagnosed the trimmer as a defective part which evidently they had some that were out of tolerance where the cutting bit/end mill passes through the base.  Fair enough, he offered to send a new base out.  Another week or so after receiving the first part, I got the replacement base.  I took apart the original unit.   Re assembled with the new base, and things got WORSE.  The new base was more out of spec than the original, and looking where the end mill passes through the base, it looked as if someone took a dremel to it to clearance something.  Emailed Troy that night and was offered the option of waiting for the next batch of parts, or a refund.  Since they had been very good in communication and had tried to make an honest effort to assist me; I chose to wait for the new parts.  A couple of weeks go by, and I get an email to send the old parts back minus the dies.  They paid for return shipping, actually offered that, I didn't have to complain or moan about it; which is good of them.  Parts got picked up a couple of days later, as I forgot to put them out the first day or two.  Another week or so later and I then emailed them to ask about new parts arriving etc... Troy stated they had gotten them in, and it should ship out that day or next.  Another few days to a week and I got  a new box, and new unit.  Problem is no end mill/cutter was included.  Still down for the count.  I had originally ordered this Nov 12th, and here we are as of 1/5/15.  Another email.  Troy replied they would send a new cutter which they did and it arrived a few days later.  Assembled everything and guess what????  Same issues.  This one has less wobble, but still cuts very poorly.  Still has a "beard" of brass around the case mouth.  That night 1/15/15 I sent an email notifying them of the new units apparent issues.  I had tried several drills including a high speed drill thinking maybe my other drills were not cutting fast enough.  No better.  At this point I just wanted my money back.  I do have Murphy's luck, and maybe this unit is fully capable when in spec and in the right hands.  That said, I don't think it's rocket science to trim a case in these types of units.  Put it in, let it cut, and try not to goober up the alignment; should be pretty easy right?  I tried different techniques as well, trying to correct any possible issues I was introducing.  No joy!  

I wouldn't write a post like this even if this all happened to me and I sent it back for refund.  What is really chapping me is that there has been no reply since that last email.  Now maybe Troy is on vacation or something like that.  I dunno.  I am concerned though as I paid through paypal through their website and since I wasn't getting any replies, I wanted to explore as a worst case scenario, what I might have to do to dispute this in paypal.  while I was able to open a dispute in an effort to restart communication, I may be hosed in getting my $ back.  I've never had to get paypal to refund my $, so I'm not super familiar with the process and I could be wrong with how in interpreted the policy.  Plus my kids were being kids, fighting, creating chaos while I'm trying to accomplish this.  But it appears that there is a limited window in which to get a refund and I may be over that timeframe due to all of the back and forth "trying to fix" bad product shipments etc....  If that is the case I'll really be pissed.  Not so much about the $.  Granted I could piss away $120 or $140 on this deal, but the thought that maybe I was strung along on "hope" until that refund date expired.  Hopefully that isn't the issue and it will all be resolved.

In the meantime though I would caution anyone considering this trimmer to maybe wait and see.  I commented on a video review on the trimmer on youtube and my experience with poor cutting and 2 other people replied within a day or so to my comment, that they too have wobbly trimmers that don't cut well.  

My next cutter is likely to be a cheap Lee quick trim pro with power adapter.  I can't afford the Dillon like I want.  I will end up with the Dillon, but I've been stuck with 1k of brass waiting for trimming for several weeks now.   I hope Trim IT gets their act together b/c it really is a nice idea that should work well if the product is not out of spec.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:06:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Never tried a Trim IT. Sorry I cant help you with that.

Why don't you try a WFT2. You can buy the trim heads to trim all the calibers you listed.

I have an original WFT in .223 and the WFT2 in .30-30, .308, 30-06, .277 Wlv calibers. Other than a set up issue I had that was totally user caused, it has been awesome.  I will warn you, though, that if this trimmer does not work for you, the problem may not be the trimmer tool. It could be your technique. Take that fwiw as you will not find many(if any) negative reviews from newbies thru experienced reloaders. There may be fancier and much more expensive ways to trim, but it doesn't get much easier than WFT.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:30:08 PM EDT
[#2]
thx for the reply and I'm not 100% sure it couldn't be partly me, but I have tried and tried and tried to get these things working right and the best I can get is one case out of 20-30 that only needs "some" deburring.  The others looked like a rat chewed on the end of it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:46:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I danced around the point of technique not to offend as there is a few things to watch out for(likely on any rotary powered trimmer):
-Do it the same every time - same pressure and no tilting the case
-Rotate the case some - don't just stick it straight in

Any of the cutters can become dull. I wore out the bit while converting 500+ .277 Wlv brass from .223(I was taking off more than .25" off each case which is the equivalent of doing 5-6k cases of normal trimming). It did a lot of what you complained about with the shredding and chewed up look. Bought a new bit and it cuts like butter again. When you buy a replacement cutter bit, buy carbide.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:50:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a Trim-It that I use for 5.56 & 308 . I haven't had any issues with mine and just ordered a 300 blackout die . Sorry you got a lemon ...or two .
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:45:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I danced around the point of technique not to offend as there is a few things to watch out for(likely on any rotary powered trimmer):
-Do it the same every time - same pressure and no tilting the case
-Rotate the case some - don't just stick it straight in

Any of the cutters can become dull. I wore out the bit while converting 500+ .277 Wlv brass from .223(I was taking off more than .25" off each case which is the equivalent of doing 5-6k cases of normal trimming). It did a lot of what you complained about with the shredding and chewed up look. Bought a new bit and it cuts like butter again. When you buy a replacement cutter bit, buy carbide.
View Quote

+1 on your instructions above

My hand drill has 2 speeds.  At low speed the case mouth would be jagged when using the Trim It.  High speed was fine.  I ALWAYS chamfer/deburr after trimming, so having to do that doesn't bother me.  I have my chamfer/deburr tool in a drill press at low speed, so that part is easy.

I am not familiar with replacement cutter bits.  Are they sold by "size"?  If yes, what size/name would I order in order to get a carbide cutter bit for my Trim It?  Any recommended vendors for ordering same?  

Thank you for any carbide cutter info you can post.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:32:50 PM EDT
[#6]
WB,
I will have to pull out the bit to check the size, but keep in mind that I am using and talking about the WFT, not the Trim It.  

With the WFT, you can go to their website and order replacement cutters.

I don't even know what a Trim It looks like. I certainly won't knock the name brand because there are evidently a lot of people happy with them. I just happen to get on the WFT bandwagon when it was pulling thru the station so now it is easier to stick with them. There is a couple more manufacturers of similar(and maybe better) trimmers now.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:49:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
WB,
I will have to pull out the bit to check the size, but keep in mind that I am using and talking about the WFT, not the Trim It.  

With the WFT, you can go to their website and order replacement cutters.

I don't even know what a Trim It looks like. I certainly won't knock the name brand because there are evidently a lot of people happy with them. I just happen to get on the WFT bandwagon when it was pulling thru the station so now it is easier to stick with them. There is a couple more manufacturers of similar(and maybe better) trimmers now.
View Quote

Thank you for the reply.  I tried looking at pictures of cutters on the Internet.  There sure are a lot of styles.  I think I'll simply go to a local machine shop, take along my cutter, and ask them what to order to duplicate it in carbide.  In the next town over, there is a Granger Supply...they ought to know.  Or maybe I'll just ask Trim It what to order if I want to go carbide when it's time to replace the cutter part.  I've been using my Trim It for the final trim when converting .223 to Blackout.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:44:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a Trim-It and have not had the problem you are having. I have the .223 and 30-06 dies. I did notice that if the set screw for the securing the die is tightened too tight the bearing in the die will not rotate when a case is inserted. I run mine from a variable speed drill at a pretty fast click so no jagged edges, but I still must chamfer and de-burr. I have discovered I can skip that process if I wet tumble the brass which will soften the edge of the case mouth. Sorry you are having the problem with yours but I feel it is a solid piece of engineering that does what it is intended to do.

V
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top