Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2015 6:10:50 PM EDT
After a couple broken decapping pins, on the Dillon I had to go to plan B to resize  and decap a volume of .38 special brass. Out of 1000 or so pieces of brass, I encountered four or five pieces of brass that had rims so thick they would not fit into the shell holder on the T7. ( Redding shell holder)  If I had been loading on the 550, I may not have noticed this.

Have any one ever seen this before?  Brass was either Winchester or Federal.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:36:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Lately I have seen more of this.  It seems that  all of the major manufactures  have let quality control slip over the last few years.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:51:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:33:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I had this issues with range pick up 38 SPCL brass, it was Herters.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:22:38 PM EDT
[#4]
The SAAMI 38 Special drawing spec lists the rim thickness as 0.059" -0.011" for future reference. I have found the PDF files for the Cartridges & Chambers very valuable to keep handy by simply downloading them.
E.G. You will find the true minimum or trim lengths of cases and not just the recommended that the reloading manuals list.
http://www.saami.org/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top