Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2015 10:38:59 PM EDT
Who the hell has the $$$ to buy ammo at these prices!?

Even reloading isn't as cheap as it once was, but Damn. I can't believe there are people that would pay nearly $400 for 55gr 223 plinking ammo.

Decent 30-06 hunting ammo for $30 a box of 20, when I can hand load something better for about $6 per 20.

Buying dies is a must for any new caliber I buy, its factored into the purchase price in my mind.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:50:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I personally have not bought any ammo in 2+ years.

Buying it cheap and stacking it deep back in the day was one of the wisest things I ever did.

Do I shoot as often as I would like ? No ... but at least I can do it 1-2 times a month and not be squeamish about what it costs me.

I shoot a lot more .22 than I would like as I have tons of it. But still have more AK ammo and AR15 ammo than I will likely shoot in my lifetime.

Years ago when I was buying it I predicted internet ammo would be illegal by now. Thank goodness I was wrong on that account .... but many other predictions I was correct on.

Yea prices are crazy if you are forced to pay the going rate these days.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:13:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Haha yeah I laugh at the prices of factory ammo when I see them.  The only ammo I pirchase is SD ammo for my carry guns and that's all.  

Shoot roughly 40 rounds each of SD ammo from my two carry calibers a month just to stay familiar with it.  40 S&W and 45 ACP.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:54:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Happiness is looking at old price tags on the existing inventory. I took an 8 pound keg out the closet to load with the other day and noticed the dust on it along with the 79.99 price tag....
Buying most ammo at today's prices would  result in great wailing and gnashing of teeth.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:42:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:44:34 AM EDT
[#5]
There's a whole island of ammo?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:46:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Only factory ammo I've bought in many years has been 6.5 Grendel. The reason for buying factory ammo for it was because of the price of new brass. For just a little more I could buy the factory ammo and reload the brass. When they want outrageous prices for new brass for some calibers buying factory ammo just for the brass is practical. Other than this one caliber the only factory ammo for rifle or pistols has been 22 rimfire. Lot's of shotgunners buy bulk pack because lead shot and components have made loading not practical. Still I load my own shotshells but with components I bought before the price increases.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:52:38 AM EDT
[#7]
There is a new ammo store opening close by and we went in the other day.  WOW, it was a true 'candy store' with all kinds of different flavors of ammo!!!!!!  Prices, OUCH!!!!!!  They did have a good supply of powders though, just not the pistol powders that I needed.  Like others here, I reload as the wife and I shoot about 200 rounds a week for each of the handguns we shoot(1- 9mm; 2-10mm's and 1-45ACP).
I see a lot of people shoot a lot of factory ammo and wonder how they can afford it.  One couple told me that they do not drink or smoke and seldom go out for dinner.  Shooting was their relaxation.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:20:01 AM EDT
[#8]
I've bought 3 boxes of factory ammo (not including SD ammo or shot shells).

1 Box of 223 to use as a baseline for reloading for my AR.

1 Box of 9mm for CHL class (they didn't allow reloaded ammo for liability reasons).

1 Box of 300BLK subsonic to use as a baseline.

I don't mind that everyone else at the range buys it though. I enjoy the consistent supply of once-fired brass

-Millbarge
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:25:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:31:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Happiness is looking at old price tags on the existing inventory. I took an 8 pound keg out the closet to load with the other day and noticed the dust on it along with the 79.99 price tag....
Buying most ammo at today's prices would  result in great wailing and gnashing of teeth.
View Quote

What was it and what year was it from?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:51:32 AM EDT
[#11]
I think that and say,

if I just would buy factory ammo I would be thousands richer and have a whole lot of extra time and space in my basement and a happier wife.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:04:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Yes.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:57:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Ugh, I remember when those UMC boxes were yellow and $12.99.  

I got into bullet casting but that's another whole level of tooling investment aka another rabbit hole to go down.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:46:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Where is this island? "Ammo Isle"

I walk down the ammo aisle regularly and see the prices are coming back down but some ammo is still priced high. .22LR is still nearly non-existant and when found is over priced.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:03:01 PM EDT
[#15]
I handload 16 different caliber now.  Most of my firearms have never seen a commercial round, only my handloads.  I too can't believe the prices as I bought components really heavy some 7 years ago and I'm still sitting pretty.  E.G. I still have components for 9,000rds of 55grn 5.56 @ 8.1
¢ rd ($81/K).  That said, I recently added 45 Colt to my mix so I had to get brass and bullets for it.  Coupled with my extensive stash of primers and powder, I'm able to load 45 Colt 255grn Rainier Plated @ 16.6¢ rd ($8.30/box of 50) 255grn Elmer Keith style lead @ 17.4¢ rd ($8.70/box of 50).
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:03:09 PM EDT
[#16]
I remember when you could get a 100 round box of Federal .45 ammo for less than the price shown for 50 and that was just a few years ago...
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:51:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Buying it cheap and stacking it deep back in the day was one of the wisest things I ever did.

Do I shoot as often as I would like ? No ... but at least I can do it 1-2 times a month and not be squeamish about what it costs me.

I shoot a lot more .22 than I would like as I have tons of it. But still have more AK ammo and AR15 ammo than I will likely shoot in my lifetime.

Years ago when I was buying it I predicted internet ammo would be illegal by now. Thank goodness I was wrong on that account .... but many other predictions I was correct on.

View Quote

You prediction came true for NY. No more online ammo ordering.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:19:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Was at walmart and a guy was buying a $45 box of .44 mag. JHP. I about shit.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:53:28 PM EDT
[#19]

I just bought 10 boxes of this 45 UMC for $16 and change a box a few days ago.....
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:58:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What about buying from a private seller ? Like a Gunbroker auction where a lot of ammo is sold ?

That totally sucks BTW ... sorry to hear that's the situation there. I knew about the 7 rounds per mag thing and some other BS stuff.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:22:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

What about buying from a private seller ? Like a Gunbroker auction where a lot of ammo is sold ?

That totally sucks BTW ... sorry to hear that's the situation there. I knew about the 7 rounds per mag thing and some other BS stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Must be shipped to a few now
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:26:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I just bought 10 boxes of this 45 UMC for $16 and change a box a few days ago.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I took that pic at a Gander Mountain in PA the week after Christmas.  I had a gift certificate burning a hole in my pocket.  I still didn't buy any.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:29:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Even reloading isn't as cheap as it once was, but Damn. I can't believe there are people that would pay nearly $400 for 55gr 223 plinking ammo.

Decent 30-06 hunting ammo for $30 a box of 20, when I can hand load something better for about $6 per 20.

Buying dies is a must for any new caliber I buy, its factored into the purchase price in my mind.
View Quote

Look at current prices on components and reloading plinking 223 rounds costs more than $.20 per round. You can get plinking $223 for about $.30 per round shipped.

Depending on the box of hunting ammo you looked at, if it used premium hunting bullets, some of those are $.50 a piece.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:02:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Whenever I look at ammo at the store, I compare the price to that of new brass and wonder why anyone would buy factory ammo. The only reason to buy ammo is to get the empty brass.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:41:15 PM EDT
[#25]
In 2012 whenever I had any extra cash I'd pick a few boxes of Tula .223. My rifle loves them and I don't need the brass. Have enough LC mil brass to last me a life time.

Anyway. Everyone thought I was crazy. I'd buy anywhere from 5-20 boxes at a time whenever I could. Along with a few 30 round AR mags as well.

Then Obama got reelected and Sandy Hook happened. Suddenly I didn't look so bad.

The only regret I have about the purchases is that I didn't pick up more .22 LR when it was $1.50 a box.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:37:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Was at walmart and a guy was buying a $45 box of .44 mag. JHP. I about shit.
View Quote

I remember pricing .45 Colt ammo when I bought my SAA copy.  One box of ammo cost more than the reloading dies. Needless to say I've never bought factory .45 Colt ammo. (or .44 Magnum for that matter)
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:11:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
There's a whole island of ammo?
View Quote

Hahaha thank you, spelling was never my strong point.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:27:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Seems like this site has some decent prices, 12.99 for 50 115gr 9mm http://libertyguns.com/summit-9mm-115gr-fmj-50-rd-box/ I know .25 a round is not what it used to be. I don't think it will go much lower.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:57:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Some calibers such as the 6.5 Grendel, you can buy factory ammo cheaper than reloading for it.  Buying 100 pieces of Hornady brass, 100 123 SST bullets, 100 primers, and approximately 3000 grains of powder.
Approximate figures:
1. 100 rds new brass----$78.00
2. Powder -------------------12.00
3. 100 bullets----------------31.00
4. primers---------------------. 3.00
  It shouldn't ever cost more to reload the same factory load than to buy the factory ammo but in today's market it happens. It's hard to reproduce Hornady factory 6.5 Grendel accuracy and velocity but it can be done. Once you shoot the factory ammo you still have the Hornady brass to reload several more times and this savings isn't even included in the original costs. There are  other calibers that the cost of new brass makes buying factory  ammo a thing to consider. Just one example.  And I agree that the only reason I buy factory ammo is the price of new brass.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:58:04 PM EDT
[#30]
I wish I had peeled the price stickers off of some of my reloading components I bought years ago (some decades).

I bought some Sierra bullets for my .30-06 and put them on the shelf next to the (nearly depleted) box I had purchased years ago.  The replacement bullets were 3x as much.

OUCH.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:31:44 PM EDT
[#31]
After looking at freedom munitions, I've decided that's the only place I will buy factory ammo from here on out. I don't load 223/556 bc it's a hassle with all the prep work involved and using a single stage just makes it worse. I do load 9mm and .270win though
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:44:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I wish I had peeled the price stickers off of some of my reloading components I bought years ago (some decades).

I bought some Sierra bullets for my .30-06 and put them on the shelf next to the (nearly depleted) box I had purchased years ago.  The replacement bullets were 3x as much.

OUCH.
View Quote

I was going thru some ammo cans looking for some 22mag and came across a box of Winchester .22 Rimfire not magnum not LR the sticker price was $3.19. I gave it to a guy I work with because he has a Winchester Widner Musket that someone rechambered to WRF. I also have some primers I bought the last time there was a run on components 1986-89 $8.99 M
I should have invested in primers powder and loaded rounds instead of Lucent and Sirius!
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:35:48 PM EDT
[#33]
I'll buy 10mm occasionally just because I don't have much brass for it. I have been on such a 9mm and 45 kick lately I haven't had an urge to load 10mm though.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:12:49 PM EDT
[#34]
I found an empty Winchester brand 44 magnum box at the range recently, price tag was $50.00 for 50 rds, this was from an Ace Hardware store. I almost fell over!
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:23:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Where is this island? "Ammo Isle"

I walk down the ammo aisle regularly and see the prices are coming back down but some ammo is still priced high. .22LR is still nearly non-existant and when found is over priced.
View Quote

Most ammo AND semi versions of .mil rifles we've seen the last 2 months was in CA. Turners had their ammo shelves STOCKED. The i looked at their CA compliant AR's, SHOCKED .
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:38:07 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Only factory ammo I've bought in many years has been 6.5 Grendel. The reason for buying factory ammo for it was because of the price of new brass. For just a little more I could buy the factory ammo and reload the brass. When they want outrageous prices for new brass for some calibers buying factory ammo just for the brass is practical. Other than this one caliber the only factory ammo for rifle or pistols has been 22 rimfire. Lot's of shotgunners buy bulk pack because lead shot and components have made loading not practical. Still I load my own shotshells but with components I bought before the price increases.
View Quote
Same here.

Prvi Swedish Mauser. Midwat had a nice sale.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:14:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Look at current prices on components and reloading plinking 223 rounds costs more than $.20 per round. You can get plinking $223 for about $.30 per round shipped.

Depending on the box of hunting ammo you looked at, if it used premium hunting bullets, some of those are $.50 a piece.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this is what gets me.......I only been shooting and reloading pistols because of it........keep telling myself...it will get better.....but its not.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top