Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2015 10:33:09 AM EDT
When I say affordable, I mean under $100. I still have to get a tumbler, and I have a kid coming in a few weeks, so I'm trying to budget here. The Lee zip trim seemed affordable for $20, but after reading reviews, I think I'm looking the other way. I was trying to narrow it down to the Lyman accutrimmer vs Lyman universal vs the RCBS trim pro. I was looking at the Wilson, but it seems you have to buy these fancy case holders that aren't super cheap. I thought about the Hornady cam lock, but reviews were saying its gets annoying when you have to make adjustments. I want to essentially line the trimmer up with good cut brass to get my spacing, then start trimming cases.

No, I'm not going to get a Giraud, or any other really expensive trimmer, so please save your breath. I'm just looking for a good hand cranked trimmer that will last me a few years until I have more capital to burn on my hobby.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:49:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I have one of these...

http://leeprecision.com/quick-trim/

...I don't do massive amounts of reloading, but it's faster than the little hand-trimmer i was using, and it chamfers, too.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:50:04 AM EDT
[#2]
AVOID the Trim IT tool.  I'm on my 3rd unit(replacements) and still is a flaming POS.  Trying to get a refund now.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:52:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Lee Quick Trim is probably your best best.  The cutter is about $25, and the dies are about $10 a piece.  Pretty inexpensive option that seems to work pretty well.  Probably not as fast a WFT, or something similar, but far less expensive.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:53:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
AVOID the Trim IT tool.  I'm on my 3rd unit(replacements) and still is a flaming POS.  Trying to get a refund now.
View Quote

I was thinking about a TrimIt.  Whats wrong with it?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:00:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm also looking at a Forster. It got pretty awesome reviews on Midway
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:45:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Not a hand trimmer, but who wants to hand trim? It is also under $100. I have the WFT, same thing just does not chamfer, and it is awesome.

http://www.giraudtool.com/Tri%20Way%20Trimmer.htm
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:50:24 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm getting rid of my Lyman Universal.  I've replaced it with a Giraud and Hornady Cam lock.  If you want it cheap send me a PM.        

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:51:04 AM EDT
[#8]
WFT2.. cheap and u can add calibers relatively cheaply. Not sure if Giraud has that.

For me, time is money. I went from WFT to Dillon and my fingers have thanked me. I bought a cheap HF drill press for WFT.. Worked well but dont need it. Should have save money from that and all my lee trimmers and gone Dillon right away..
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:54:26 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

WFT2.. cheap and u can add calibers relatively cheaply. Not sure if Giraud has that.

For me, time is money. I went from WFT to Dillon and my fingers have thanked me. I bought a cheap HF drill press for WFT.. Worked well but dont need it. Should have save money from that and all my lee trimmers and gone Dillon right away..
View Quote
Dillon is pretty nice, especially if you want to bulk process brass.  Their are some calibers you can't do with the Dillon though.  Currently my Dillon is just for .223.  

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:56:01 AM EDT
[#10]
I have the Hornady case trimmer, no problems with it, you have to use their shell holders when using this tool.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:57:03 AM EDT
[#11]
I have the Hornady case trimmer, no problems with it, you have to use their shell holders when using this tool.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:00:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I use Lee gauges with a cutter and the holder that I can use with a drill, it's very cheap, but far from fast.
Really looking at the Tri-Way for .223
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:09:26 PM EDT
[#13]
No idea what type of volume you are running. Have you considered the cost effectiveness of using one of the many brass processing services offered in the equipment exchange?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:18:34 PM EDT
[#14]
CH hand case trimmer at ch4d.com. Excellent quality and reasonably priced.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:11:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I've had quite a few trimmers.  I never cared for most of them but they all work.  

Have you considered used equipment?  It minimizes your investment and can satisfy the safety mandate to trim cases.  

I think a Wilson Trimmer is a very good value.  It is the most accurate trimmer on the market, bar none.  The basic trimmer is pretty inexpensive.      

The case holders cost less than $15 a piece.  How many different cartridge types do you need to trim?  

All told, you can get the trimmer, a couple of case holders and a deburring tool for under $100.  If you find a used one, perhaps even less.  You will not be disappointed with the performance.

Have you looked at the World's Finest Trimmer (WFT)?  They are about $70 per cartridge.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:37:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Not what I use anymore, but it's affordable and does the job.

This   plus This     each additional caliber after that costs $6 'ish

After that.....If you have a lot to do.... you will soon want one of these

After that...if you still have a lot to do ....you will want hook up one of these to the lee case holder

and ultimately, if you still have a pile to do.... one of These   which is where I am now when talking 223
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 3:01:56 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm starting with 223 and 308, but will soon go to .30'06, .30-30, and 8mm.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:08:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm starting with 223 and 308, but will soon go to .30'06, .30-30, and 8mm.
View Quote

I shoot a ton of 223 and 30-30... less of the others. Figure time and quantity into decision. For 30-06 and 303, I could get away with a lee hand trimmer. For 223, 30-30, 300BO and 308, Dillon..

WFT2 is the best intermediate trimmer factoring speed and price that with work for multiple calibers.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:35:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:56:19 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't have this yet, but read great reviews on it. Cash strapped at the moment. It's another option that fits your "under $100" price point. It has collets for different calibers and a carbide end mill option.. can't make the decision process too easy on you ya know

Dead on trimmer

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:48:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Another vote for the RCBS Lathe type trimmer.
I have one of the Giraud trimmers now, but I still keep the RCBS around for oddball calibers I don't have caseholders to do in the Giraud.

The nice thing about it is that it comes with the pilots and case holders for pretty much everything. down the road, you can spend a little more and add the 3 way trim heads for your common caliber sizes, to eliminate the debur steps. You can even pick up an adapter to replace the lathe handle with a hex bit, so it can be driven by a power screwdriver, and reduce a little wrist motion.

And of course, you can keep it when you upgrade to one of the caliber specific tools, to use on stuff that you don't want to invest in the caliber specific trimmer parts.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:51:20 AM EDT
[#22]
The lee Quick trim has a drill adapter out now.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:35:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I don't have this yet, but read great reviews on it. Cash strapped at the moment. It's another option that fits your "under $100" price point. It has collets for different calibers and a carbide end mill option.. can't make the decision process too easy on you ya know

Dead on trimmer

View Quote

Recommending this trimmer assumes the OP has a drill press with a 1/2" chuck.  OP, do you own one?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:47:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Of course. I'm a man
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:20:03 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I'm also looking at a Forster. It got pretty awesome reviews on Midway

View Quote
I use a Forster and love it. My dad has the RCBS and, to be honest, all the hand-crank trimmers are about the same.

With the Forster I hook up a drill to it when I'm trimming massive amounts of brass.

I tried to use the Lee Pull-Cord Trim thingie - I got it in a package deal from Craigslist. I trimmed maybe 3 cases with it before I started looking for a different trimmer. YMMV.

-Millbarge
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:20:07 PM EDT
[#26]
The Lyman E-ZEE Trim works fine for me to chuck up horizontally in an old 1/4" electric drill held in a bench vice.   Maybe 5 seconds or so each,  tighten the base in the holder with a twist. push to bottom of the pilot, untighten, throw in the case prep bin and done.  Cutters do eventually dull, but are cheap.  I never have more than about 100-120 at a time to do.  For low volume, no need to spend more. I think the set was only $25-30.  Pilots for most popular cases included.  Not the fastest, but accurate and cheap.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:57:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Lee cheapie trimmer and a 1/2 inch drill with a twist. I use a Lee hand priming tool to hold the case. Much easier on the fingers and pretty fast compared to using the Lee shell holder.
If you don't have a priming tool, you'll need one so it can serve double duty by purchasing an extra primer tray to modify for case trimmer duties.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top