Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2015 12:40:33 PM EDT
If you had it to do over again, which wet tumbler would you choose?  I'm looking at the Thumler Model B and the Frankford Arsenal.  I like the screens on the Frankford, but the Thumler seems to be built to last the ages.  Is there another option I should be looking at?
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 1:02:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 1:54:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Plastic never rust, easy on /off caps. I love my FA
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 3:25:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 5:42:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 7:47:58 PM EDT
[#5]
On my list to replace my RCBS sonic cleaner.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 10:28:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Tumblers. Have had it about 2.5 years now.. Still running great..
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 10:38:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I have one Model B and the Harbor Freight two drum tumbler. I use each about the same. The HF are great for small amounts.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:03:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I elected to build.  If you have the means to do it, I think this is best route.  Might cost you more up front, but your capacity will be higher if you need it, and it should never break because they generally over built.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 9:52:43 PM EDT
[#9]
When originally searching for a wet-tumbler to fit my "new-to-the-sport" reloading adventures, I looked very closely at the Thumbler-brand.

Recently, I'd posted questions about reloading equipment.  Was interested in knowing what the community suggested on particular items, and was directed to the STM Website for their Rebel 17 wet-tumbler, (StainlessTumblingMedia.com).  Since Christmas, I've tumbled literally thousands of cases ranging from .223, 45 ACP, 44 Mag, 9mm, and 300 Win Mag brass.  Also, I was told to order an extra belt for the machine if some catastrophe ever ensued - although, it hasn't skipped a beat - I went ahead and ordered a couple of extra belts and a seal for the tub itself.  It's very solid-built, has a heavy-duty rubber-encapsulated liner within the tub, and appears to have the ability to replace whatever particular part or piece may wear out over time with a couple of hand-tools.

I believe the Thumbler and the STM are very similar in many specifics.  In my case, I needed a complete setup to begin this experience of reloading... and, STM offered a package deal that contained everything that would fulfill my needs.  It's been running every other day since it's been received - again, literally.  And, I've been extremely happy with the device overall.

Hopefully, I've offered some insight as to my experience with this particular wet-tumbler.  Unfortunately, I have no experience with any other product - but, please do take a look at the STM Rebel 17 for consideration in your search, as well.

Respectfully,

Skinnable
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:28:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:38:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought the Frankford Arsenal tumbler a week ago, and it is great.  The barrel is big enough.  They say 1000 223 cases, and it does hold that many.  I've been polishing all my garage brass over the past several days, and I will head to the basement to get the stuff on the pallet.

We will see how it lasts over the long haul.  If it croaks, I'll buy or make something similar.

There is no going back to dry media for cleaning.  I may use it to put Turtlewax on cases, though.

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 3:45:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you had it to do over again, which wet tumbler would you choose?  I'm looking at the Thumler Model B and the Frankford Arsenal.  I like the screens on the Frankford, but the Thumler seems to be built to last the ages.  Is there another option I should be looking at?
View Quote

I did not go either way but I looked hard at them.  Between those, I would go Frankford Arsenal.

That said, I still like the HF model and would replace it with same.  Lets see what happens when I add the PVC drum...

I ran a load in the old dry vibratory cleaner for "fun" and to see if the bling was just in my head.  Never going back to dry as the only way.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:34:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Make one or buy a bigdawg     and you won't have to do it all over again
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:56:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Make one or buy a bigdawg     and you won't have to do it all over again
View Quote

Likely the best solution, but honestly not everyone needs to be able to run that much volume.  My drums are big enough that if I dont have at least 1/2 a 2lbs coffee can, I get some light peening from the SSTL media on my cases.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 4:09:20 PM EDT
[#15]
If Extreme Tumbler were around
when I purchased my Thumbler's Tumbler I would have went with them, if only for the
base.  Extreme's base has actual bearings, and a beefier base and rollers.

That being said, my Thumbler's  Tumbler is still chugging along, although the rollers are
starting to shred.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 4:40:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If Extreme Tumbler were around
when I purchased my Thumbler's Tumbler I would have went with them, if only for the
base.  Extreme's base has actual bearings, and a beefier base and rollers.

That being said, my Thumbler's  Tumbler is still chugging along, although the rollers are
starting to shred.
View Quote

Bushings for Thumbler

Or measure your shaft diameter, go to McMaster Carr and buy some bearings to replace the bushings forever. Something like this...
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:54:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Mail Ordered a Rebel 17 for my Christmas present and was absolutely disappointed.
Have read about improvements having been made  to this tumbler and would say
that many improvements still are needed.  From my purchase, I would say the
Chi-Coms building the Rebel 17 have NO QC and or have adopted the old style of Detroit
auto manufacturing...Never buy a car built on Friday or Monday.  My Rebel 17 was
put together on both of these days.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:16:10 AM EDT
[#18]
I've had the FA for a few months and like the quality and size of the double plastic layer drum. Seems like it will last.

Not sure about motor or how long it will last. Screw off ends are great.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top