Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2014 12:21:53 PM EDT
So I have been having issues with federal ae223 ammo. had a squib load last weekend. on most of the bullets you can easily move the bullet into the casing if you have strong fingers like mine. would it be a bad thing to run the rest of what i have through my lee factory crimp die?
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 12:23:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 12:29:10 PM EDT
[#2]
not taper crimp lee factory crimp. collet die.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 12:33:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Crimp affects bullet pull - the energy required to start the bullet out of the case and into the barrel.  I wouldn't crimp a round I hadn't personally loaded, because I wouldn't know how that might affect pressure.  If the rounds have loose bullets, I'd send them back to Federal.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 1:11:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 3:35:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Given your responses in the Ammo forum, I would insist that Fed. exchange the ammo.  Squib loads are not acceptable in factory ammo.

Phone Fed. again and tell them about the others that have had squib rounds on AR15.com.... if the guy on the other end won't do it... go over his head and talk to the supervisor.

Get names and times from every contacted person at Fed.

A better crimp will not fix faulty ammo.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 5:17:53 PM EDT
[#6]
i know lot number SMQ14E816-006 is bad, thats the lot number to the shit ammo that squibbed out on me and then i bought 1 box of ae223 today but on the box the only numbers that were visible were the SMQ14***-100 which is weird but thats all i could make out and all those bullets were very easy to push into their cases and had horible next tension. What the fuck federal?!
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 5:47:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Crimp affects bullet pull - the energy required to start the bullet out of the case and into the barrel.  I wouldn't crimp a round I hadn't personally loaded, because I wouldn't know how that might affect pressure.  If the rounds have loose bullets, I'd send them back to Federal.
View Quote

This. If they're loaded near max pressure and you crimp he crap out of them.... Boom

Send them back to federal or pull the bullets and use the components (except powder).

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 9:43:18 AM EDT
[#8]
i know they arent loaded any where near max pressure because its ae223. and through the chrono out of my 14.5 (pinned) the average was around 2600 fps
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 9:44:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This. If they're loaded near max pressure and you crimp he crap out of them.... Boom

Send them back to federal or pull the bullets and use the components (except powder).

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

if i did this i would have to neck size the case right?
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 12:34:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can just full length resize, it won't resize the case but will resize the neck. Or you can neck size if you want? But the problem is neck tension now, so not doing anything is going to yield the same problem.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 12:45:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top