Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2014 4:46:12 PM EDT
The videos don't look all that hard to do and was wondering if anyone has tried it.

Instead of tossing these in the trash, I guess I'll just hold onto them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0jxpLH8FtY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXnwuNegPaY
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 5:15:15 PM EDT
[#1]
No thanks.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 5:16:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 5:20:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Easier to buy a lifetime supply of manufactured primers.

Link Posted: 3/8/2014 6:09:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Modern primer mixture is considered a Class 1 Explosive.  It is a tedious job that requires special equipment and training.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 6:17:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I remember an old issue of American Survival Guide that had an article where they used matches for both primer and propellant in a test. Not great, but IIRC, it did function and was repeatable. They used the white tips in the primer and the red for the propellant.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 6:27:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Modern primer mixture is considered a Class 1 Explosive.  It is a tedious job that requires special equipment and training.
View Quote

Now, if the videos covered how to make a reasonably facsimile and do so safely, that would be worth watching.  

Match heads, on the other hand, are a method of last resort, a desperate measure.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 7:03:37 PM EDT
[#7]
this is one of those things what if you have to ask, you should not do it.
if you had the knowledge, you would already know that this is a BAD idea.

primers use a Primary explosive, think Blasting cap. very good at turning
fingers and hands into pink mist. Not to mention all the cool licenses needed to
manufacture explosives. (you are not going to do this at home are you?)

if you are referring to taking a used primer and using a match, how are you going
to be sure that it will not go off if dropped? what if you bump your gun? Drop you gun?
Since this is AR-15, what if the round goes off as it is cycling? Will recoil set off the
others in the gun?

long way of saying "very bad idea"
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 7:06:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, of course it's a bad idea.

The thing is, in desperate times, desperate measures are needed.  If this approach were needed, the maker would not be looking for licenses from anyone.  

We are nowhere near that, ... yet.

I subscribe to the approach given by pepe-lepew - stocking up on primers and powder.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 7:38:40 PM EDT
[#9]
If you like your fingers, don't dick with primer compound in large (larger than a box of primers) quantities.

The people who load the priming compound in .22 are often paid quite well, seeing as they could be blown to shit in their blast enclosure.  

Link Posted: 3/8/2014 8:43:10 PM EDT
[#10]
If it ever gets that bad, and there is no more "where to buy" tacked thread, I will go to flint and blackpowder...  Still can cast round balls  
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 9:15:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If it ever gets that bad, and there is no more "where to buy" tacked thread, I will go to flint and blackpowder...  Still can cast round balls  
View Quote

Can you make your own black powder?
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 9:34:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah, its not to difficult if you are into the whole mountain man thing... charcoal, saltpeter, sulpher.  It is cheaper to buy at walmart however, and you won't blow yourself up...
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 11:13:35 PM EDT
[#13]
this is how I make all my primers...

Sure, it takes my 25 minutes to make something that costs others 3-5 cents, but hey, I made it. Not some "know it all explosives licensed SOB". If you're serious about reloading, you'll make your own primers, powder, and bullets. But just steel the brass from a range

Cool concept, very impractical. IF you needed 1-5 rounds to kill your food for the next month, as all civilization has gone to hell (or zombies!!!), then it's good to keep in the back of your mind. But for now, buy often, stack deep.
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 10:03:55 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm all for doing things just for the sake of doing them, but this is a terrible idea.

If you're worried about the end of the world, spend $30 for a box of 1000 primers and stick it in your closet.  You're not going to survive enough post-armageddon gunfights to go through 1000 rounds anyway.
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 10:11:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Someone lock and archive this thread before someone loses a finger... Bad bad idea.
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 12:35:05 PM EDT
[#16]
It's not feasible  
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 1:05:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 6:10:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 6:10:38 PM EDT
[#19]
System Message
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top