Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2014 5:14:50 PM EDT
Going to start reloading since I live in the lovely state of NY. Plus, I have been wanting to start reloading for years. Going to start with 223 and 30-06.

Thought I would post here and see what you guys think of my list to get started with? Welcome any opinions on items you think I may not need or ever use.

Hornady Lock-N-Load Classic Single Stage Press

Hornady Lock-N-Load Die Bushings Package of 10

Hornady Beam scale

Lyman Universal Case Preparation Kit ( inlcued all the tools for deburing and primer pocket prep)

Hornady Shellholder Package of 5 ( covers all the major case sizes)

Hornady Cam-Lock Case Trimmer Kit

RCBS Primer Turning Tray

MTM Universal Reloading Tray x2

Lee Powder Funnel 22 to 45 Caliber

RCBS Small Base 2-Die Set 223 Remington

Lyman Case Length Headspace Gage 223

Lyman Case Length Headspace Gage 30-06 Springfield

Lyman Magnum Impact Bullet Puller

Hornady Shellholder #16 ( for hornady case trimmer )

Lee Universal Shellholder #2 (308 Winchester, 30-06 Springfield, 45 ACP)

RCBS Hand Priming Tool

Frankford Arsenal Powder Trickler

Frankford Arsenal Dial Caliper 6" Stainless Steel

Lee Collet 2-Die Neck Sizer Set 30-06 Springfield

Hornady One Shot Case Lube

Lyman Case Lube Pad

Lyman Scale Weight Check Set

Hornady M-2 Case Tumbler 110 Volt

Lyman Turbo Brass Cleaning Media Corn Cob 6 lb
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:23:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:17:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Going to start reloading since I live in the lovely state of NY. Plus, I have been wanting to start reloading for years. Going to start with 223 and 30-06.

Thought I would post here and see what you guys think of my list to get started with? Welcome any opinions on items you think I may not need or ever use.

Hornady Beam scale

Lyman Universal Case Preparation Kit ( inlcued all the tools for deburing and primer pocket prep)

Hornady Cam-Lock Case Trimmer Kit LE Wilson Case trimmer

RCBS Primer Turning Tray

RCBS Small Base 2-Die Set 223 Remington

Lyman Case Length Headspace Gage 223

Lyman Case Length Headspace Gage 30-06 Springfield

Hornady Shellholder #16 ( for hornady case trimmer ) bushings for Wilson Case Trimmers

RCBS Hand Priming Tool

Lee Collet 2-Die Neck Sizer Set 30-06 Springfield[/a] Hornady set, better dies and free bullets

[s]Hornady One Shot Case Lube
google "case lube for cheap bastards", make your own

Lyman Case Lube Pad

View Quote

Formatting is screwed Up, but you get the idea. This stupid ass ipad with fat fingers makes it impossible to highlight and strike through crap!
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:32:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Hornady Beam scale

Hornady Cam-Lock Case Trimmer Kit

RCBS Primer Turning Tray

RCBS Small Base 2-Die Set 223 Remington Why small base? Regular full length dies work just fine even for AR's.

Lyman Case Length Headspace Gage 223 Never had the need but if you must.

Lyman Case Length Headspace Gage 30-06 Springfield You have a neck die set on your list for this caliber. If your not changing it why do you need to measure it?

Hornady Shellholder #16 ( for hornady case trimmer )

RCBS Hand Priming Tool

Lee Collet 2-Die Neck Sizer Set 30-06 Springfield

Hornady One Shot Case Lube

Lyman Case Lube Pad

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 4:28:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the input guys. I see now there are a few things I don't need or can swap out for another brand. Probably saved me some money.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 5:44:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the input guys. I see now there are a few things I don't need or can swap out for another brand. Probably saved me some money.

Thanks again.
View Quote

My advice...

Forget the Hornady trimmer and go with the RCBS trimmer with the three-way cutters. Saves LOTS of time for just a slight bit more money invested.

Forget the RCBS primer turning tray thing. If you are getting an RCBS hand primer already - It COMES with a tray that has ridges that will 'flip' the primers. You are NOT going to 'ruin' a primer by touching it with your fingers once in a while to turn it over if needed...

Get the RCBS collet puller setup if doing rifle bullets. MUCH easier and faster. The little hammer-type puller things are good for pistol bullets but not so great for rifle...

Get the Dillon gages for headspace and case length and forget the Lyman stuff here. Make sure to PHONE in the order to check if ALL your items are in stock before placing order with Dillon lest you may only get half your stuff and charged for ALL the shipping on it. They do not update their website for shit when it comes to things being 'in-stock' or NOT...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top