Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2014 9:51:51 AM EDT
Hey all, anyone use cooking spray to lube cases before sizing? Couldn't find lanolin locally so a guy told me to try this(he uses it). tried it on a few cases, seems to work. Anyone know if this is GTG?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:02:48 AM EDT
[#1]
No one?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:15:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Sure, it will lube. Any oil will lube.  What you want is not an oil but a heaver body like a WAX.  Actually a wax has TOO much body sooooo one compromises and mixes a little oil with the wax.  I have used shampoo to some success, make sure you use a clear shampoo.  Its hard to regulate.  I have had very good success with Huberd's Boot oil with paraffin wax.  I have not had a case stick.  I have tried the lanolin/bees wax and it works great although a little pricey.  The end result:  you still have to remove the lube.  If the lube is a petroleum product you will need some kind of a solvent.  If it can be removed with soap and water it is a cheaper product to use.  Also vegetable oils will ROT unlike synthetic.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:47:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sure, it will lube. Any oil will lube.  What you want is not an oil but a heaver body like a WAX.  Actually a wax has TOO much body sooooo one compromises and mixes a little oil with the wax.  I have used shampoo to some success, make sure you use a clear shampoo.  Its hard to regulate.  I have had very good success with Huberd's Boot oil with paraffin wax.  I have not had a case stick.  I have tried the lanolin/bees wax and it works great although a little pricey.  The end result:  you still have to remove the lube.  If the lube is a petroleum product you will need some kind of a solvent.  If it can be removed with soap and water it is a cheaper product to use.  Also vegetable oils will ROT unlike synthetic.
View Quote

?

Just did 100 cases, worked great. put them in a ziploc bag, used a quick spritz of cooking spray, massaged cases around, all had an equal thin layer of spray. sized flawlessly, now in the tumbler to see how it comes off. cut my lubing/sizing time in half vs doing each case individually with Lee resizing lube
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 1:08:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

?

Just did 100 cases, worked great. put them in a ziploc bag, used a quick spritz of cooking spray, massaged cases around, all had an equal thin layer of spray. sized flawlessly, now in the tumbler to see how it comes off. cut my lubing/sizing time in half vs doing each case individually with Lee resizing lube
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

?

Rot?  Perhaps more elaboration on my part.  The natural oils are subject to decay and infection from microbes at a much faster rate than petroleum or synthetic materials.  Congrats on liking a faster way to lube your brass.  My shampoo experiment was similar but I used 300+ cases at a time.  I found it hard(time consuming) to wipe off the necks and therefor had lots of shoulder hydraulic dents, which of course shot out fine.  I have found that it's a trade off of time and/or material costs.  I use paint thinner to wash my lube(boot oil/wax) off and while still wet after draining, I put them through the tumbler  again this also speeds-up my tumbling time.
   My bolt action rifles do not get pretty and polished brass as I just neck-size for as long as possible.  Trying to cut down the reloading steps is my goal, as long as quality still remains. Oh, I'm always looking for suggestions to eliminate and "qualitize" reloading steps.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 1:23:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I have many tubes of lee lube.  I put a dab in a ziplock bag and squirt in 10-20 drops of water. add brass and shake. 1 tube lasts years this way.  let dry and tumble or water bath.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 1:59:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have many tubes of lee lube.  I put a dab in a ziplock bag and squirt in 10-20 drops of water. add brass and shake. 1 tube lasts years this way.  let dry and tumble or water bath.
View Quote

Never thought of doing this. Hmm. might have to try it out my next batch of brass that needs sized, i just finished off all my brass with the cooking spray. Worked great, the second batch is in the tumbler now.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 2:22:39 PM EDT
[#7]
This is all I use (Pam).
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:20:07 PM EDT
[#8]
How does the Pam come off in hot water?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:42:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I use it on blasting ammo with certain dies and rifles. It's super slick, it needs to be wiped off the upper 1/3 of the case or shoulder dents will ensue. I tumble it off, only use it for .223, not as magical for .308.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:04:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How does the Pam come off in hot water?
View Quote

comes off in the tumbler just fine in about 30 minutes.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:05:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I use it on blasting ammo with certain dies and rifles. It's super slick, it needs to be wiped off the upper 1/3 of the case or shoulder dents will ensue. I tumble it off, only use it for .223, not as magical for .308.
View Quote

308 take too much torque or what?
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 2:04:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 4:21:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Ensure you have a stuck case kit before you try your make shift lube in 308.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

308 take too much torque or what?

Ensure you have a stuck case kit before you try your make shift lube in 308.

There are quite a few "natural" lubes out there. The problem with many of them is that they are easily attacked by "bugs". One of the finest natural lubes ever discovered is Castor bean oil. High lubricity with an extreme affinity for metal. It is still used in many extreme stress motorsports applications.

I have started using the Isopropyl/Lanolin mix and had great luck with it. After sizing over 1k 5.56 cases there was not even the first tight one. Maybe it was the dab of Castor oil I put in the mix?

Wait, wut?

;)
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 4:40:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Buy a jug of Canola oil and make your own spray.  Keep us posted.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 4:58:43 PM EDT
[#15]
As soon as I can find lanolin i will be using that. But, this canola spray works great. Have lubed about 200 ish cases already and ZERO issues. All came out clean as a whistle after tumbling for an hour.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 5:12:23 PM EDT
[#16]
have been told pledge also works decent if you have nothing else.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 5:50:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
As soon as I can find lanolin i will be using that. But, this canola spray works great. Have lubed about 200 ish cases already and ZERO issues. All came out clean as a whistle after tumbling for an hour.
View Quote

$8 delivered from vendors on Amazon. Hardly worth the effort to drive around looking for it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:23:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

This has come up many times over the years.
It's generally frowned upon.
I have given in nearly every time and admitted I use PAM for some .223 brass.
Use whatever makes you happy until it doesn't, it does sort of gob up your media, but I have washed media to nearly new and others just buy more, so there's that too.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:02:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Hey all, anyone use cooking spray to lube cases before sizing? Couldn't find lanolin locally so a guy told me to try this(he uses it). tried it on a few cases, seems to work. Anyone know if this is GTG?
View Quote

It is all that I use. It's cheap and abundant and works like a charm. I always tumble after sizing so it doesn't add any extra steps for me. A little goes a long damn way!

ETA I don't get a clumping of anything. I throw about a 100 cases or so at a time in a Walmart bag, spray a one second blast and rub the cases in the bag. I won't use anything else for here on out...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top