Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/23/2014 3:45:36 PM EDT
Hey guys this is a tricky question and I hope it belongs in the reloading forum. I recently sent my BCG back to the manufacturer to get the carrier replaced because it is eating through gas rings like crazy. The armorer called me and said he was stumped why I was having this problem. The carrier was smooth inside and there was no reason for the gas rings to go bad as fast as they do. The only thing I can think of is my loads are too hot. I am using roughly 22-23 gr of X-Terminator with Wolf small rifle magnum primers. Has anyone had this happen to them? Does my load seem to hot? I am at a loss for what is going on.

Update:55gr projectiles. I do not know the exact charge weight because I am using the Lee Disc Measure.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 4:00:39 PM EDT
[#1]
What bullet weight?
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 4:20:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think thats the problem.
I have a BCG that has gone through 2 Bbls with nothing but HOT loads ( like getting 2950 with an 80 gr bullet)
I still have the same rings I started with.
By any chance is the inside bore of the carrier un-chromed lined?
Ran across a few of those and they can wear rings out fairly fast
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 4:27:32 PM EDT
[#3]
How fast do they go?

What are the specifics of your loads?

What Rifle?
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 4:30:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 4:48:15 PM EDT
[#5]
why are you using magnum primers on 223 loads?
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 4:53:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This was my question also.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 5:16:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Some loads call for magnum primers. Check the Speer manuals.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 5:29:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sir, reloading is about the details. You should know what your charge was.    

Your roughly 22-23 grs makes me nervous. Should have posted something like 22.4 grs for example. I hope you are away from your notes, and giving a ballpark charge.

I checked Ramshot's data (available on line for free) and 23.0 grs of Exterminator is fine up to and including 69 gr bullets.

We still need to know your bullet weight.

Yes you are in the correct forum.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey guys this is a tricky question and I hope it belongs in the reloading forum. I recently sent my BCG back to the manufacturer to get the carrier replaced because it is eating through gas rings like crazy. The armorer called me and said he was stumped why I was having this problem. The carrier was smooth inside and there was no reason for the gas rings to go bad as fast as they do. The only thing I can think of is my loads are too hot. I am using roughly 22-23 gr of X-Terminator with Wolf small rifle magnum primers. Has anyone had this happen to them? Does my load seem to hot? I am at a loss for what is going on.

Your roughly 22-23 grs makes me nervous. Should have posted something like 22.4 grs for example. I hope you are away from your notes, and giving a ballpark charge.

I checked Ramshot's data (available on line for free) and 23.0 grs of Exterminator is fine up to and including 69 gr bullets.

glad im not the only one who cringed when I read that.

I doubt your loads are too hot, probably something out of spec in the bolt. I would buy a new one if it were me and go from there if it turns out to not be the problem you have an extra bolt on hand during the next panic buying spree
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 5:47:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes. It seems hot and lacking details
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 7:16:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do not know the exact charge weight as I am using the Lee powder disk and do not have a scale yet, just the formula sheet that came with the kit. The bullet weight is 55gr.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 7:21:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Did you share this info with the Mfg.?
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 7:25:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I don't think thats the problem.
I have a BCG that has gone through 2 Bbls with nothing but HOT loads ( like getting 2950 with an 80 gr bullet)
I still have the same rings I started with.
By any chance is the inside bore of the carrier un-chromed lined?
Ran across a few of those and they can wear rings out fairly fast
View Quote

The inside bore is smooth and chrome lined. The armorer at the company even said he did not know why this was happening because everything inside was smooth.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 7:30:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I do not know the exact charge weight as I am using the Lee powder disk and do not have a scale yet, just the formula sheet that came with the kit. The bullet weight is 55gr.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

you shouldn't be reloading anything without a scale to check how much your actually throwing. get yourself a good beam scale or a nicer digi scale and make sure you're paying attention to what your throwing.... I'd also suggest getting some regular small rifle primers. pick up a few reloading manuals...Lyman is a great one....

Link Posted: 1/23/2014 7:32:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

xterminator is not one of them.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 7:34:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I went to buy some primers the magnums were on sale so I picked up 10,000 for $160.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 7:37:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

When I went to buy some primers the magnums were on sale so I picked up 10,000 for $160.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

there's a difference between magnum and standard rifle primers. magnums should only be used for magnum cartridges or special circumstances with light density loads.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 7:39:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 7:50:36 PM EDT
[#18]
There's no legitimate reason to be reloading without a scale. $30 is going to be money saved in the long run. Much cheaper than paying someone to reconstruct your hands or face......
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 7:51:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Double post
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 7:53:45 PM EDT
[#20]
You do need a scale, I use the Lee Auto Disc for pistol loading, the sheet that came with it is often no where near the charge weights I get in a given cavity with a given powder.
Is your brass showing any signs of pressure?
I have difficulty accepting hot loads damaging gas rings, bolt yes, barrel extension possibly, but gas rings? nah.
There is nothing wrong with using small magnum rifle primers in small rifle loads as long as you develop the load with them, lots of people use CCI 41s in 223/5.56.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 8:15:43 PM EDT
[#21]
What Disc's are you using? you should probably be using two to get the charge weight correct. what are the numbers?
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 9:19:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As an owner of the Lee double disk, I couldn't imagine using without a scale.  Although I haven't used mine in quite a while, I remember it requiring a pretty significant trial error procedure with fairly big variances depending on what powder I was using and usually it was not even in the same ballpark as the formula or suggested sizes.

Dude, you need a scale and should not be reloading without one in my opinion.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 12:08:21 AM EDT
[#23]
there's a difference between magnum and standard rifle primers. magnums should only be used for magnum cartridges or special circumstances with light density loads.  
View Quote

To the OP, I will refrain from telling you what I think about loading tiny little bombs without a scale, then setting them off right next to your head,face and eyes.  

I will comment on the quote above regarding Magnum primers.

Horse Hockey.  Magnum primers are used all the time in the 223/5.56.
Sierra data was developed with the Rem 7 1/2 primer, a Mag Primer, as was Nosler and Lyman 48.

The CCI #41 was developed for the AR type rifles with free floating firing pins and Yes, it is also a Mag primer.

Mag primers are like any other component, use-em-if-ya-got-em.  Just do as you always do and that is to "Start low and work up".  In the case of the OP, there was no work-up or even a load data check, so mag primer or not his ammo is unsafe.

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 1:50:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Also in OP's defense about the primers, he mentioned they are the WOLF MAGNUM primers,  which are specifically designed (according to them) for 5.56 loads.

Read here about this:

http://wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=8975&dir=278|284|737

The other concerns others have pointed out- he is on his own.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 3:57:11 AM EDT
[#25]
My experience with Lee's tables is that they are _usually_ conservative. IOW if the table calcs out to
23 grains the load will likely weigh a couple tenths or even a full grain less.  Notice I said likely. Sometimes
the tables are off the other way.

OP get a scale. If you cannot afford a scale IM me your address and I will mail you a spare Lee scale I don't
use anymore no charge.

Wolf SRMs are all I use in 223. They work fine. Use them.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 6:38:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
What Disc's are you using? you should probably be using two to get the charge weight correct. what are the numbers?
View Quote

I am only using one disc. It is on 1.46 hole.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 6:40:36 AM EDT
[#27]
From what information you have given, I'm concerned, like some of the others, that you didn't properly work up your load.  It sure sounds like you just picked a charge level and jumped on it - not a good way to do it.

I've not seen any information from you on how many rounds you have put through this rifle.  If it's 100, you've got a problem.  If it's 10,000 rounds....

The magnum primer isn't a problem as long as you develop the load properly.  I use the CCI #41 for my .223/5.56 loads and it is considered a magnum primer.

Who made the rifle?
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 6:56:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
From what information you have given, I'm concerned, like some of the others, that you didn't properly work up your load.  It sure sounds like you just picked a charge level and jumped on it - not a good way to do it.

I've not seen any information from you on how many rounds you have put through this rifle.  If it's 100, you've got a problem.  If it's 10,000 rounds....

The magnum primer isn't a problem as long as you develop the load properly.  I use the CCI #41 for my .223/5.56 loads and it is considered a magnum primer.

Who made the rifle?
View Quote

I was just about to post my round count. I have used this load for 800-1000 rounds and never a squib or kaboom. As far as the rifle goes I assembled the lower and bought a barreled upper from DSA and a BCG from Surplus Ammo.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 7:20:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

To the OP, I will refrain from telling you what I think about loading tiny little bombs without a scale, then setting them off right next to your head,face and eyes.  

Sierra data was developed with the Rem 7 1/2 primer, a Mag Primer, as was Nosler and Lyman 48.

The CCI #41 was developed for the AR type rifles with free floating firing pins and Yes, it is also a Mag primer.

Mag primers are like any other component, use-em-if-ya-got-em.  Just do as you always do and that is to "Start low and work up".  In the case of the OP, there was no work-up or even a load data check, so mag primer or not his ammo is unsafe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

+ many

Between ball powder recipes w/magnum primers, CCI #41 being in fact a magnum primer, Rem 7 1/2 being more or less magnum, shooting in the cold, as well as the whole fun slam-fire debate...I don't know why this 'debate' always comes up.
I wouldn't swap hot/max loads between non-magnum (charged) to magnum charge primers by any means, but I've yet to hear or see compelling evidence to not use magnum primers for .223/5.56 autoloaders.

Back to the original OP problem - please, get a scale.  Some people have needed to do some amount of 'tuning' to their Lee powder measures/disks, while occasionally someone will gripe about inaccurate or inconsistent drops, and the Lee charts being impossible to be valid across a range of powders and differing powder densities..you need a scale to know what's going on.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 7:27:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I was just about to post my round count. I have used this load for 800-1000 rounds and never a squib or kaboom. As far as the rifle goes I assembled the lower and bought a barreled upper from DSA and a BCG from Surplus Ammo.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who made the rifle?

800-1000 rounds of this load.  OK - but what kind of total round count does the rifle have?  A few years back I broke a piston on my Jeep on my way into town.  I was about six miles from home.  The piston broke after 175,000 miles, not six miles.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 8:05:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You asked a general question. You didn't specify a powder type.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 8:17:53 AM EDT
[#32]
USE A SCALE!!!!!

55,000 psi is nothing to mess with.

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 8:56:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

800-1000 rounds of this load.  OK - but what kind of total round count does the rifle have?  A few years back I broke a piston on my Jeep on my way into town.  I was about six miles from home.  The piston broke after 175,000 miles, not six miles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who made the rifle?

The rifle previously had 500-600 factory rounds through it before the reloads. I had just got it when I started reloading.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 9:05:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Wolf small rifle magnum primers (marked 5.56mm) have a magnum cup, not a magnum flame. They are actually one of the weakest flame primers on the market. The cup will withstand magnum pressures, that is all. They are very consistent but need to be seated firmly to the bottom of the pocket to insure reliable ignition.

Remington 7.5, Winchester small rifle primers and CCI's military 5.56mm primers are the hottest flame and create higher pressures because of it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 9:13:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
USE A SCALE!!!!!

View Quote

I am actually looking at scales right now online. I don't think my reloads are above the recommended PSI.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 9:15:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Thank God you are still alive !!!!!!!!!!!!
You have to weigh your charges to calibrate what your powder measure is throwing.
Start low from one of your reloading manuels,then work your way up to the safe power level.
John
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 9:31:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Not to make you feel good or anything, but I have found that my Lee Auto-Disk usually throws less than what the booklet says that it throws. However, that is also on 5-6 grn pistol loads. I don't know about how it throws 22-23 grn rifle powders.

You seriously need to think about getting a scale before you load anything else. It really is THAT important. It is one thing to load at max load. It is another to not know if you are at max load. The scale will be cheaper than replacing your rifle and definitely cheaper than losing your fingers/eyes/face.

Since being on this site, I have also invested in a chrono to help me figure out if I am faster/slower than normal(lots of variables there too), but I have always had a scale and I always continuously check to make sure I am loading how much powder I intend.

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 9:31:41 AM EDT
[#38]
For what it's worth, I have n AR-15 SP1 I purchased in 1981 that has around 10,000 rounds down the tube and it still has the original gas rings. It's 100% reliable and still accurate. I've never heard of anyone burning through gas rings like you have.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 9:41:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
You have to weigh your charges to calibrate what your powder measure is throwing.
Start low from one of your reloading manuels,then work your way up to the safe power level.
John
View Quote

This is really a true statement.
Whatever Lee's chart shows, different powders have different densities.  
The OP may be throwing well under or well over the 'expected' charge.

If you're going 'cheap' on a scale, check eBay - I picked up a NIB 505 for < $50.
I trust it far more than my crappy digital scale..
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 10:16:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 10:26:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
For what it's worth, I have n AR-15 SP1 I purchased in 1981 that has around 10,000 rounds down the tube and it still has the original gas rings. It's 100% reliable and still accurate. I've never heard of anyone burning through gas rings like you have.
View Quote

Me either I have a 20+yo Colt with I dunno how many cases of awful ammo, and a lot of hot reloads.  Still have original gas rings, even tho I have spare parts.

Did they mic the ID and OD ? In spec?

I also do no see what your real problem is?  Does the bolt carrier stand when placed vertical on a table on the bolt face?

Pic of problem ?

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 11:54:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Me either I have a 20+yo Colt with I dunno how many cases of awful ammo, and a lot of hot reloads.  Still have original gas rings, even tho I have spare parts.

I also do no see what your real problem is?  Does the bolt carrier stand when placed vertical on a table on the bolt face?

Pic of problem ?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pic of problem ?

No it does not. It cant hold its own weight. I do not have the BCG to get pics of.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 11:56:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The point is, there is no way to know this without a scale.

Because you don't really know what your powder charge is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
USE A SCALE!!!!!

I am actually looking at scales right now online. I don't think my reloads are above the recommended PSI.

The point is, there is no way to know this without a scale.

Because you don't really know what your powder charge is.

I have bought a powder scale. I only have 150 rounds of these loads left so I am going to pull the bullets and reload them when the scale get here.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 12:34:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 3:59:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
John
View Quote

+1  All I can say is you must have the Luck of the devil.  I also use the Lee Pro Autodisc system and love it.  I load 9mm, .45, .223, 30-06, 308 and I have never had the system throw the size of load as stated in the charts.  Normally it is a lighter load, but one combination of disks threw a heavier load.  I will play around with the disks until I get the load I want, record it in my book and I am set thereafter.  I still verify the load everytime I change setups and usually about every 10 rounds loaded.  I am very glad you are getting a scale and start checking your loads.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 4:21:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Do you ever lubricate your BCG?  It should be dripping wet at the start of a firing session. (this supercedes original instructions to keep it dry).  It does not hurt to squirt a little well-shaken CLP (1/2 sec. blast) through one of the gas vent holes of the BCG (looking out at you through the ejection port).  It may be a little snotty for first couple of rounds, but that is OK.

Do you ever use red rouge polishing compound on cleaning your brass?  Do not ever use red rouge polishing compound (iron oxide) on your brass.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 7:03:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Do you ever lubricate your BCG?  It should be dripping wet at the start of a firing session. (this supercedes original instructions to keep it dry).  It does not hurt to squirt a little well-shaken CLP (1/2 sec. blast) through one of the gas vent holes of the BCG (looking out at you through the ejection port).  It may be a little snotty for first couple of rounds, but that is OK.

Do you ever use red rouge polishing compound on cleaning your brass? Do not ever use red rouge polishing compound (iron oxide) on your brass.
View Quote

No I have never heard of that stuff. As far as lubrication I have been told to not run the BCG wet but I am hard headed and drench the bolt in clean 5w30 motor oil before I do a lot of heavy shooting. Then I clean it in a solvent tank and use light CLP when I put it away.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:35:28 AM EDT
[#48]
For what it's worth,

I have a NMA4 that I bought new.  I took it to the range and had just under 100 factory rounds through it when one of the gas rings blew.  I contacted the manufacturer and they replaced it ASAP.  The person that I talked to said that the finish on the inside of the carrier is so fine that an imperfection you may not be able to see or feel can catch the ring and  break it.  

I also have an M4 style rifle that has hundreds and hundreds of rounds through it on the original gas rings.

+1 for making sure the bolt is lubed.  Also make sure that your gas rings are offset when reassembling.  I little distraction when working on guns (or reloading for that matter) can cause the little things to get missed.  I don't know if that contributed to your problem, just adding that to help eliminate possible causes.

If you keep blowing rings, get a new BCG.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 7:31:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Also make sure that your gas rings are offset when reassembling.
View Quote

Waste of time - just like engine piston rings they will spin constantly during use, where you put them when you assemble is not related to their position after firing events.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 8:09:51 AM EDT
[#50]
I'd check the specs on your bolt. If somehow you got an undersized bolt and it is crooked (wouldn't take much) during extraction, it seems

to me that it would cause increased ring wear. There isn't a lot of bearing surface to keep it straight in the carrier. Kind of like running an

undersized piston in a car engine.

Just a thought.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top