Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2013 12:09:37 PM EDT
Following the load data given out by Ramshot, loaded some 55g Hornady Sp at 21.6g. When I fired them from my 6" barrel pistol it short stroked, shell ejected but failed to pick up the next round from the mag.

When I loaded these, I was a little concerned about the data given, 21.6g for 55g SP, and 22.5g for 62g FMJ. Seemed contrary to my previous experience with pistol loads,, heavier bullets used less powder. figured the shorter OAL made a difference.

My question,, what increments should I work up with on the powder?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:14:13 PM EDT
[#1]
load sounds way under powder

sierra (conservative) recommends start loads @ 24.7gr TAC for 223 in an AR.

I have no guidance for a pistol....
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:14:53 PM EDT
[#2]
.5 grain. 21.6 is low for a longer barrel. I'd start at 23.0. JMO, I don't have a AR pistol.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 1:57:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
.5 grain. 21.6 is low for a longer barrel. I'd start at 23.0. JMO, I don't have a AR pistol.
View Quote

This. Ramshot/accurate has data on their website for free.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 2:29:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Following the load data given out by Ramshot, loaded some 55g Hornady Sp at 21.6g. When I fired them from my 6" barrel pistol it short stroked, shell ejected but failed to pick up the next round from the mag.

When I loaded these, I was a little concerned about the data given, 21.6g for 55g SP, and 22.5g for 62g FMJ. Seemed contrary to my previous experience with pistol loads,, heavier bullets used less powder. figured the shorter OAL made a difference.

View Quote

You may be looking at the load data for an SPSX bullet (Soft Point Super Explosive)?  That's showing 21.6gr-24.0gr.
I load my Hornady SP (soft points) the same or very slightly lighter than Hornady FMJ-BTs (up to half a gram).  Hornady 55gr FMJ-BT w/TAC ranges from 23.2gr-25.8gr.

I'm guessing you're way low on that load.  
SBRs should be fine with regular rifle loads, but not sure with your pistol barrel how much burn rate (and how fast/how much gas is generated) may come into play here... ??
I'd start with a higher load, or better yet, give Hornady or Ramshot a call or email and see what they say.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:43:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You may be looking at the load data for an SPSX bullet (Soft Point Super Explosive)?  That's showing 21.6gr-24.0gr.
I load my Hornady SP (soft points) the same or very slightly lighter than Hornady FMJ-BTs (up to half a gram).  Hornady 55gr FMJ-BT w/TAC ranges from 23.2gr-25.8gr.

SBRs should be fine with regular rifle loads, but not sure with your pistol barrel how much burn rate (and how fast/how much gas is generated) may come into play here... ??
I'd start with a higher load, or better yet, give Hornady or Ramshot a call or email and see what they say.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's it right there. I used the data for SPSX. The SP fooled me.
I had asked before about rifle/SBR loads and was informed no difference, so I'll start at the 55g FMJ load and go from there. 23.2g sounds better following what I have experience with(pistol ammo), heavier bullets take less powder.

Gentlemen, I thank you for your help.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:37:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 12:28:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Dryflsah's load for his FMJ will very likely be too hot for the softer 55 SP.  Like he says, work up and find the sweet spot.  I use 24.5 for both FMJ's and SP's in 55 gr. bullet loads.  Very accurate, easy on brass and cycles all variations of my AR's.  You can go for more velocity...just work up to it as pointed out.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 2:56:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top