Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2013 2:10:15 AM EDT
I have 2 different batches of pulled down lc brass one from Widners another from the local show . Should I resize these ? I tried a few in my rcbs small base die and even lived I stuck a couple in the die. I do not have a case gauge . I am just starting with .223 loading . The brass is mixed lake city in the second batch .thanks for any and all advice .

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:21:27 AM EDT
[#1]
You need a case gauge. I use the one from Dillon. They are cheap and I'd say definitely essential.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:44:01 AM EDT
[#2]
What lube are you using? Are you lubing the case mouth?

Sizing unknown brass is never a bad idea for an AR.  

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:57:16 AM EDT
[#3]
yes, resize.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:57:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes.  You will need to resize them, the necks get all wacked out of shape.  If you try to load them as the bullet may fall into the case or have seating issues due to zero neck tension or very little.  Also inspect the case to make sure there is no powder in them, I bought 8k of 5.56 pull down thinking it would be easy to load......  Ya about that, I had to scrape left over powder out of I'd say 80% of them before loading and use the sizing die without a decap pin installed.  

The only pain in the ass is the powder, I've recently done some LC 7.62 brass from widners that had powder stuck inside.  Also ran into the neck tension issue but easily fixed.

ETA....
The cases will be a bit too long or have different lengths, to be perfect they'll need to be trimmed.  I never trimmed mine as it was blaster ammo, if you're using bullets with the canalure (spelling?) it will look funny.  Just load to OAL spec and have fun.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:54:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Can't speak to the .223 pulldowns, but for the 308s...

Buy a neck sizing die and remove the decapping stem. No lube needed when resizing. Load with some cheap bullets for the first firing. Accuracy will decrease 1/8" to 1/4" over comparable loads when loaded with 147 gr FMJ.

If you want tack drivers, you'll have to go through the full decapping/resizing process.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:03:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Should just have to neck size.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:51:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I would re-size just so I knew everything was consistent.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:13:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks . Using Dillon spray lube . I have resized a few so far and stuck 3 in the die . I may back it off a little . I am going to load range for 3 gun with some of the brass and maybe do some 75-77 grain loads in other . Or is this brass better suited for up close under 150 yard loads .

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:31:00 AM EDT
[#9]
<Removed.  This is not GD--please keep all posts in the technical areas of the site businesslike, polite, and on topic.  --tbk1>

For the record OP, I was not being impolite to you or anyone in this thread.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:43:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:59:51 AM EDT
[#11]
I always FL resize all new to me brass.  And that includes virgin Lapua.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:29:15 AM EDT
[#12]
What others have said already:

-Stop what you're doing and reassess.  You are having too many stuck cases.

-I don't see the need for a small base die in 223.

-If you mean pulled-down, but unfired cases- I would just use a neck sizer.  If they are primed- remove the stem.

-If there is any doubt in your mind as to how many times they've been fired- full length resize with a regular die.

-You need a case gauge.  It would help a lot.

-LC Brass is LC brass. Once you get it uniformed, use it for whatever you want.  It's not bad brass- you're just having trouble getting set-up is all.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:58:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the advice guys . I do a little in other calibers . But this is my first foray into .223 . I don't have a case gauge in .223 which I will rectify. It is unfired brass .

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top