Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/23/2013 2:34:22 PM EDT
finished trimming over a K of brass today with my WFT.

Typically, I use Hornady One shot lube but ran out and had to use another type during sizing.

After sizing I went straight to swagging then trimming,

After trimming, I tumbled all the brass in corn media ( 2 batches ) to remove the slimy lube.

Any who... I realized that after tumbling the cases they require NO debur or chamfer!  and if they do... I cannot see it or feel it with my fingernail.

I typically never tumble after trimming and this time I did because of the lubrication.  Has anyone else come across this ?

And should I still Chamfer and Deburr ?

Link Posted: 11/23/2013 4:51:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I've used the WFT for a while now too but I still chamfer and  deburr as a matter of habit. It makes loading flat based bullets just a little easier.
Link Posted: 11/23/2013 5:35:55 PM EDT
[#2]
When my tool was new I didn't have to, as long as I was loading boat tail, but had to at least chamfer it if not.  After about 5000 to 6000 Rounds the bit wore and required the chamfer and  deburr.  Just got a new bit in,  I'm hopping to be able to skip a step again. Don't get me wrong the bit was still usaable, just want to skip a step id I can, and the bits are cheap.

I read some where that trimming with lube is not good for the bit. I not sure how true that is, But I plan to remove the lube first this time around to see if the bit last longer.

Link Posted: 11/23/2013 5:38:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I trimmed a couple hundred 223 cases today with my WFT. I never have to deburr but always chamfer the cases a little bit.
Link Posted: 11/23/2013 5:49:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I had sized a pile of brass last winter and didn't tumble it immediately after sizing. Fast forward to this summer when I got my WFT - trim, chamfer, debur, then into the wet tumbler that I set up this spring. I noticed that wet tumbling with pins seemed to "soften" the mouth of the case a bit, instead of being close to sharp. I like it, but don't know that it will warrant two runs through the wet tumbler on future batches.
Link Posted: 11/23/2013 5:50:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When my tool was new I didn't have to, as long as I was loading boat tail, but had to at least chamfer it if not.  After about 5000 to 6000 Rounds the bit wore and required the chamfer and  deburr.  Just got a new bit in,  I'm hopping to be able to skip a step again. Don't get me wrong the bit was still usaable, just want to skip a step id I can, and the bits are cheap.

I read some where that trimming with lube is not good for the bit. I not sure how true that is, But I plan to remove the lube first this time around to see if the bit last longer.

View Quote

Would you give us a link to the bit for the .223 WFT.  thanks.
Link Posted: 11/23/2013 5:59:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Does anyone know why these trimmers do not come with a three way cutter - trim, chamfer and deburr.
Link Posted: 11/23/2013 6:42:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Does anyone know why these trimmers do not come with a three way cutter - trim, chamfer and deburr.
View Quote

Cost. There are other tools that will do that for you, but they also come with a hefty price tag. The WFT seems to hit the sweet spot for speed and simplicity for the price.
Link Posted: 11/23/2013 7:06:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote

Trimming with lube is hard on the trimmer's cutter.  High speed steel (HS6) is subject to wear with the lube and brass as brass by itself is abrasive.  Lube just enables it to wear instead of cut.  I'm surprised you made 5000 pieces as I wore one out in 2000.  Switched to full carbide (not HS6 steel), wash my formed/sized brass in hot water and dawn... no problems since.  Last cutter I replaced had equiv of 40K+ pieces on it before it wore out.

Link Posted: 11/23/2013 7:07:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote
Cost... and it's not needed.  Take a look at Federal Gold Metal Match ammo.  No inner or outer chamfer.  A square case mouth releases the bullet uniformly.

Link Posted: 11/23/2013 8:19:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Cost. There are other tools that will do that for you, but they also come with a hefty price tag. The WFT seems to hit the sweet spot for speed and simplicity for the price.
View Quote

IMO, it is a poor trade.  The incremental cost for a 3 way cutter would pay for itself immediately in time saved by NOT having to handle the brass three times - trim, chamfer and debur.

Link Posted: 11/23/2013 8:23:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Cost... and it's not needed.  Take a look at Federal Gold Metal Match ammo.  No inner or outer chamfer.  A square case mouth releases the bullet uniformly.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As the cutter dulls, you will get an ever-increasingly large burr.  At some point you will need to deal with it.

Perhaps this is an opportunity for someone to make a 3 way cutter accessory for the WFT.  This is the type of thing little specialty shops love (like UniqueTech).

I'm pushing this issue because the Giraud trimmer has a 3 way cutter but the machine's cost is very, very high.  WFT would live up to its name if it could do all 3 cuts at a reasonable price.
Link Posted: 11/23/2013 9:02:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I trimmed a couple hundred 223 cases today with my WFT. I never have to deburr but always chamfer the cases a little bit.
View Quote
This was badically my experience while I used the WFT. I was prepared to deburr every case, but on examination very very few needed it.

I don't belong to the sect that believes square, unflared cases allow all bullets to seat easily.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 2:16:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

IMO, it is a poor trade.  The incremental cost for a 3 way cutter would pay for itself immediately in time saved by NOT having to handle the brass three times - trim, chamfer and debur.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're talking about an order of magnitude in increase of cost of the cutter, not to mention having to redesign the whole unit. The main attraction is that it is relatively cheap and easy to replace cutters. Still a lot faster than a trim pro, even with the 3 way cutter.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 6:09:52 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I bought mine from Dale at Little Crow Gunworks web site. But after, it donged on me that it's just a stander 3/8 end-mil bit. the model he sent me was HTC 120-4375.  But you can fine other bits on websites like www.mcmaster.com or even ebay for less.  I think Little sells them for $25for the carbide, but you can fine them for around $15 for carbide and $7 for stander steal.

Link Posted: 11/24/2013 7:03:34 AM EDT
[#15]
I ordered mine from Midway. I think it was around $10.00....

I don't need to replace mine yet, but I was getting some ammo boxes that were on sale, so I had them throw that in too.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:55:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I can confirm 1st hand that using the WFT with lube still on the cases does infact wear the cutter faster.  I got through about 800 before i noticed a difference, but after 900 it degraded quickly and by the time i finished 1200, the cutter is pretty much done.

Quik
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top