Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2013 5:35:27 PM EDT
Setting up my Hornady LNL. (setting up for 223) I had to adjust the pawls to make it index correctly as it was a bit off from the factory.  It indexes fine through the stages now, and even with an empty case just going through the positions.  

The problem is, when I set up the primer system, the primer is "rising up" prematurely just before the ball detent engages, and therefore, the case doesn't get into position for the primer to be seated.  Any ideas or will I just need to call Hornady?  I've tried messing with both pawls and nothing seems to get it to engage quite right before the primer starts to rise.

TIA!
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 6:35:23 PM EDT
[#1]
See if threaded primer ram is loose.

if not timing is probably off.
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 7:01:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Primer ram is tight.  I've played around quite a bit with the timing with the pawls, guess I'll keep trying and to give Hornady a buzz.
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 1:18:37 AM EDT
[#3]
You need to adjust the pawl more, the detent should be engaged before the ram is low enough to push up the primer.......small adjustments, make sure the detent holes and plate surfaces are clean and dry if there is debris under there it could be holding thins up.
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 3:27:45 AM EDT
[#4]
what popnfresh said.  If my memory serves me correct it should be the right prawl that needs adjusted if your timing is not right with the ram going down.  The manual has pretty good directions for adjusting the prawls.

The plate should have fully indexed by the time you start to push the handle forward for the priming stroke.
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 3:53:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Pawl likely needs adjustment.
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 11:45:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I had this exact same issue.  It was a timing issue, but not with the pawls.  It was an issue with the Primer cam rod adjustment(the black plastic piece on the top of the press)  The top of the primer cam rod mounts into this piece, and I had to adjust it fore and aft until I found the sweet spot where it needed to be.
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 8:29:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try the cam rod.  I called Hornady and the service guy could only help with adjusting pawls.  Nothing else looks chipped.  He thought maybe the actual drive shaft was off spec.
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 5:28:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Some details on Pawl adjustments, sounds like it may just need a finer adjustment.

First picture:

What it shows is if you rotate the pawl screw LEFT (counterclockwise), the shell plate will rotate more RIGHT (clockwise).

Next picture:

What it shows is if you rotate the pawl screw RIGHT (clockwise), the shell plate will rotate more LEFT (counterclockwise).

Rule 1:
Left pawl adjusts the shell plate when it comes down. This is the one that causes problems with cases feeding into the shell plate or priming problems (they both rely on the the downstroke of the shell plate).

Rule 2:
Right pawl adjusts the shell plate when it goes up. This is the area that causes problems with cases entering the dies (jamming on the sizing die is the big problem child).

The rest:
Now, another key point to keep in mind about the clicks.. The manual says to listen for clicks as the shell plate is locked into place at the end of the press arm stroke. They don't explain it very well though. When I was first fighting the left pawl (shell plate problems with priming and case feeding), the manual said to listen for 2 clicks. They didn't explain that the clicks are VERY soft and I was mistaking the releasing of the RIGHT pawl being the first click when in reality, the proper click is a very soft one. The clicks are first the sound of the pawl releasing and the second click is the sound of the 2 ball bearings locking the shell plate into proper place.

The key about that is you want the adjust the pawls so that the 2 distinct clicks merge into one click, that means the pawl is releasing exactly at the same time as the ball bearings are locking into place. If you are thinking that the loud clicking is the proper noise, then you are wrong like I was.

And when adjusting these pawls, you need to move the press arm VERY slowly.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 5:24:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Some details on Pawl adjustments, sounds like it may just need a finer adjustment.

First picture:

<a href="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/189/wf4.gif/" target="_blank">http://imageshack.us/a/img189/7870/wf4.gif</a>

What it shows is if you rotate the pawl screw LEFT (counterclockwise), the shell plate will rotate more RIGHT (clockwise).

Next picture:

<a href="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/543/zm7r.gif/" target="_blank">http://imageshack.us/a/img543/324/zm7r.gif</a>

What it shows is if you rotate the pawl screw RIGHT (clockwise), the shell plate will rotate more LEFT (counterclockwise).

Rule 1:
Left pawl adjusts the shell plate when it comes down. This is the one that causes problems with cases feeding into the shell plate or priming problems (they both rely on the the downstroke of the shell plate).

Rule 2:
Right pawl adjusts the shell plate when it goes up. This is the area that causes problems with cases entering the dies (jamming on the sizing die is the big problem child).

The rest:
Now, another key point to keep in mind about the clicks.. The manual says to listen for clicks as the shell plate is locked into place at the end of the press arm stroke. They don't explain it very well though. When I was first fighting the left pawl (shell plate problems with priming and case feeding), the manual said to listen for 2 clicks. They didn't explain that the clicks are VERY soft and I was mistaking the releasing of the RIGHT pawl being the first click when in reality, the proper click is a very soft one. The clicks are first the sound of the pawl releasing and the second click is the sound of the 2 ball bearings locking the shell plate into proper place.

The key about that is you want the adjust the pawls so that the 2 distinct clicks merge into one click, that means the pawl is releasing exactly at the same time as the ball bearings are locking into place. If you are thinking that the loud clicking is the proper noise, then you are wrong like I was.

And when adjusting these pawls, you need to move the press arm VERY slowly.
View Quote

Thanks, your post helped a lot for an issue I may be having.

Every once in a while when feeding a case into the shell plate it will not slide into and fall over.  It looks like the shell plate needs to be rotated clockwise a 1/16th of an inch to give the case feeder slide a more aligned entry point.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 8:42:53 AM EDT
[#10]
I just had mine not allowing shit to work right..... powder buildup under primer seat plug. Cleaned and all is good.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 11:47:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I just had mine not allowing shit to work right..... powder buildup under primer seat plug. Cleaned and all is good.
View Quote

Had the same issue time and time again, got my press during full craze this year (didn't over pay though heheh) and found that the plunger that seats the primer was actually getting stuck or gummed up with fouling. I took it apart, deburred everything and polished it. Now it's working like a cogs on a clock and my primer seating is much smoother.
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 9:35:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I've spoken to 2 hornady reps and it doesn't appear to be fixable with just pawl adjustment. We've tried adjusting every which way and no go.  I've sent a video in to them to see if they can figure it out, but they are both stumped.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 1:28:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've spoken to 2 hornady reps and it doesn't appear to be fixable with just pawl adjustment. We've tried adjusting every which way and no go.  I've sent a video in to them to see if they can figure it out, but they are both stumped.
View Quote

Does it do it at every position of the shell plate?
Are you sure you have the shell plate on correctly sitting flat?
Have you tried a different shell plate?
Is the "star" on the bottom in its' pinned slot, does each point on the "star" look symetrical and smooth and free of burrs?
Do the pawl rotate freely in their narrow range of movement(from 11:00 to1:00)?

Are the detents in the shell plate evenly spaced?
Are the detent pockets on the shell plate base evenly spaced and the same as the shell plate? Should be able to get a decent measurement with a caliper to rule out an obvious flaw.

The left pawl is the one that sets the down location, if the up pawl is doing its job I would take it out and switch it to the other side to see what happens. I would also switch the springs under the pawl maybe the spring is too short, maybe the spring pocket is too deep, so it wont push the pawl up as it is adjusted.

It is such a simple system I don't understand how you cannot see if the left pawl is pushing the "star" until it clicks into place and if not raise it up so it keeps pushing until it does rotate far enough.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 1:14:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Popnfresh - this only happens at the primer station when a primer is there.  It will go through all the other stations just fine when no primer is there, but i also need to push the handle forwardbeyond the neutral position to have the shellplate click into the detent.  I've tried other hellplateswith the same result.

The detents and pockets are spaced spot on.

The "star", or index wheel looks free of burrs.  I cannot tell if it is in it'sinitial pinned slot, but looking at it closely, I wonder if it is actually off several degrees.  If it was 20 degrees further clockwise than the current position, I think the shellplate would be further along and would theoretically be in the detent long before the primer seater starts to rise.

Any idea howto adjust this?  I took off the e-clip below it but that doesnt seen to free it up.

Also, I can only keep raising theleft pawl up until it starts to bind on the dowstroke and upstroke making me think it is then too high...

ETA:  After talking to the Hornady service guys again today and having multiple people review the video, they said it wasn't due to the indexing wheel.  They are having me ship the press back in - they said if an internal index is off by a fraction/out of spec, it can result in the issue that I'm having.  They don't think it has to do with any pawl adjustment either.  They are providing me with the UPS pre-paid slip, and if it's not repairable, they will end up replacing it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 6:09:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Thought I would post the update.  I sent the press back to Hornady and within 2 wks including the Thanksgiving holiday, the press came back functioning flawlessly and smooth.  They replaced the Toggle on the bottom of the press as it was apparently out of spec.  Great service, free return shipping, and fast turnaround.  Big kudos to Hornady!
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 6:19:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thought I would post the update.  I sent the press back to Hornady and within 2 wks including the Thanksgiving holiday, the press came back functioning flawlessly and smooth.  They replaced the Toggle on the bottom of the press as it was apparently out of spec.  Great service, free return shipping, and fast turnaround.  Big kudos to Hornady!
View Quote

Good to hear you got it back quickly even with the holiday!
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 9:01:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:13:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Glad to hear they took care of you so quickly, you wont find many places with such good service. Years from now they will still give you great service.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:49:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Glad to hear they took care of you so quickly, you wont find many places with such good service. Years from now they will still give you great service.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like my LNL and all the bullets for the price of S&H.  I did have to fine tune the primer feed a little bit to get it to work 100% but other than that.  If there would have been a local shop that was a Dillon dealer, I would have bought one
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top