Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2013 7:36:57 PM EDT
Has anyone  tried loading anything with this powder? My local shop has some in stock and I picked some up but can't find any info on it. Thanks for any and all help. Billy
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:41:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 8:32:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry I shouldve explained myself better. I've looked at Hodgdons website and at other forums. I've found some loads but not in any calibers I load. It seems that this powder should be called superspecific not superformance as u can only load it for a small variety of calibers with odd bullet weights. I was hoping someone on here might've found more info or worked with this some in more calibers. Looks like I bought a pound of it for nothing.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 1:02:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sorry I shouldve explained myself better. I've looked at Hodgdons website and at other forums. I've found some loads but not in any calibers I load. It seems that this powder should be called superspecific not superformance as u can only load it for a small variety of calibers with odd bullet weights. I was hoping someone on here might've found more info or worked with this some in more calibers. Looks like I bought a pound of it for nothing.
View Quote

What cartridges were you looking to use it in?

Contrary to what many people believe, Superformance Powder is not the powder Hornady uses in all of it's Superformance Ammunition. Some yes, maybe, all, no way.

Hornady manufactures Superformance ammo in many cartridges from 223 up to and including the 375 H&H.   Superformance powder like all powders has a specific burn rate. It's burn rate is slower than the 4831's.  It's impossible for a powder as slow burning as Superformance to work  in cartridges like the 223 and the 308, yet we see Hornady Superformance Ammo in both. These two cartridges work well with powders in the Medium burn rate and a super slow powder like Superformance just will not work.

It's another myth that all one needs to do to get the performance of Hornady Superformance Ammo is to load up some Superformance powder and you are all set.  Some cartridges this may indeed be true, most not so much.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:28:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Well I was looking to load it in all my rifle stuff but I didnt research it first. I made the mistake of thinking that since they offer so many rds in the superformance line that I could use it in my 308s 223s and 7mm Rem Mags but only thing that comes close to it is 280 rem. I wonder if I could start loading my 7mm to the 280 specs and go from there on developing a deer load for my rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top