Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2013 12:52:22 PM EDT
Are any other reloaders out there using these bullets and experiencing jacket separation issues?

Myself and two other 3 gun shooters recently loaded over 4k of these bullets and have had nothing but problems.

We have adjusted powder loads, made crimp adjustments and shot these bullets through numerous AR's varying in barrel length from 18" down to 11.5 and consistently experience the same jacket separation issues.

Needless to say we are all pretty pissed, almost all 7K were loaded in 2 sessions and are sitting in our safes. We contacted Montana Gold several times to make them aware of the issue and see what they could do to make it right.

Basically we were told to send the rounds back, (Yes, to pull them all and send them back!!) for a refund as they have no .224 bullets to replace our order with.

Further emails to Montana Gold were left unanswered by them. So much for customer service.

If anyone else is having the same issues, please post up. We can't be the only ones experiencing this problem.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:28:44 PM EDT
[#1]
We ran thousands of these with no issues ? I keep checking for them instock status.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:27:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We ran thousands of these with no issues ? I keep checking for them instock status.
View Quote

Same here, that's what's frustrating. I don't know how many thousands of these bullets I have loaded and shot. The last 4k or so have been total crap.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:20:40 AM EDT
[#3]
It may be interesting to know just how the separation is happening and what bullet? I see they make a FMJ &  SP.  If there are 4000 rounds fired in 1 rifle, i would think the throat is rough, with heat/fire cracking. This may damage a thin bullet jacket. Add a fast  1-7 twist barrel and bullets may come apart.  
 "A rough throat in a barrel compromises the bullet jacket’s integrity as it travels down the barrel  When the throat becomes rough enough to tear or mar the bullet
jacket the barrel’s accuracy will deteriorate."
View Quote
  Page 3 There is more proof of bullet blow up from a throat condition & heat in the barrel online, from Berger Bullet Co.  See if a good cleaning makes a difference. Some use JB bore paste.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:35:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Seach over on brian enos fourm. There have been several with jacket separation issues. Think it was a bad run of bullets.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 11:37:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Seach over on brian enos fourm. There have been several with jacket separation issues. Think it was a bad run of bullets.
View Quote

Yup. Last fall /early winter.

I got a bad batch too. Comp strikes and all.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 1:07:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 5:32:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Has a good cleaning made any difference?  Just wondering?  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top