Manufacturer's Website Link

Do It Yourself Versions

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 7:39:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Ok that's awesome .

I will be making one.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 8:47:17 PM EDT
[#2]
These work great! I built mine with a Harbor Freight drill press and a old swamp cooler motor. It will clean and shine 400 pcs of 9mm brass in 15 minutes.

" />
" />
" />
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:04:19 PM EDT
[#3]
That's awesome.

Just got done doing about 500 cases the "hard" way.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:10:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 12:45:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Go figure...
I just finished building a home made wet roller tumbler

Now that I see this, I want to rip it all apart and make one of these!

15 minute clean time for is fantastic!!!!

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 7:39:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Go figure...

View Quote

the short clean time is great but the quantity per batch is a lot lower than what our rotary tumblers can do, i would guess my large tumbler can do 5 or 6 times as much per batch and is done in 1.5 hours. so it all equals out in the end.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 9:44:59 AM EDT
[#7]
WoW that is awesome for sure! Have to agree with BigD though, unless there is a way to make larger batches. Although by watching the videos i guess the only way would be to add a whole lot more media in order to be able to do larger amounts? Regardless this thing is awesome!!! Specially for those doing smaller batches!!
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 9:48:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

the short clean time is great but the quantity per batch is a lot lower than what our rotary tumblers can do, i would guess my large tumbler can do 5 or 6 times as much per batch and is done in 1.5 hours. so it all equals out in the end.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Go figure...

But for $50 versus.....$$$? Not so equal. No offense intended, just pointing out economics are not close to equal.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 9:58:19 AM EDT
[#9]
That is pretty awesome!

are you just using the regular stainless steel pins that everyone is using for the rotary tumblers?

I may have to look into building one of these.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 12:14:37 PM EDT
[#10]
So, for smaller scale, used ebay magnetic stirrer, stainless media, and a few magnets in with the media?
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 12:19:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 12:37:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Very cool,... but it's probably about $450 delivered, just for the green unit.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:23:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Very cool,... but it's probably about $450 delivered, just for the green unit.
View Quote

This. I like it I think i'll stick with my thumbler for now.

An idea though for a home brew method. I have a lot of oddball motors are work we can't sell. You could build your own with a random motor that would use the bottom of a 50 gallon drum to hold brass and larger magnet. You could get some quantity then. Probably use 2 50 gallon drum bottoms as pans and bascially clean brass as fast as you can sort pins and dry it, have one drum bottom cleaning as you process the other. Not sure if the drum bottom would be too thick. You maybe could make one cheap out of pvc or abs if you have a plastic welder that would be thinner so the magnets would work.

Not sure what big magnets would cost but this is appealing to me. The reason I didn't make my own tumbler was the insane cost of 24" pvc pipe and fittings I wanted to use for the drum.

I may try this during the winter.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:31:56 PM EDT
[#14]
I like the one at the very top of the OP. Website says they are in Italy and it costs 342.00 euros.  No idea how much that is in American money.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:58:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:16:40 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm all for building one of these. The only issues I can see are batch size is dependent upon the size and speed of the magnetic disk and amount of pins in a tub large enough.

Also, with some of the speeds shown in the videos you must make sure the magnetic disk is balanced...or else it will shake itself to pieces or though things across the room.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:54:15 PM EDT
[#17]
$471 is a total rip off.
American ingenuity is king!
I'm sure any one of us can build a bigger and better one for a fraction of the cost.

Looks like batch size is easy to increase with a bigger tub and a bigger disk with more magnets.

For myself, I'm envisioning:

1/4hp 1725 rpm electric motor
5-10 gallon tub
12-18 inch wide magnet disk (depending on the width of the tub's base)
10lbs of SS media
5-7 lbs of brass
1-2 gallons of water
15-30 minute run time

thoughts?

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 9:51:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, I ordered some media off ebay, some magnetic stirrers and a glass beaker off amazon, and I'm watching a vintage magnetic stirring machine on ebay. Maybe it will be good for small lots of pistol brass?
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 10:12:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 12:18:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 12:46:00 AM EDT
[#21]
My questions would be, do the pins magnetize and stay that way?
Does this method clean out the inside of the case and the primer pockets like the tumblers?
Only people that have one and used it for a while need to answer, no guessing.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 9:36:50 AM EDT
[#22]
the kind of stainless they use for the pins is magnetic.
I think it's 300 grade "surgical stainless" that's not magnetic.

The video in the first post shows brass being cleaned.
It did clean out the pockets and everything just like a rotary tumbler.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 11:30:55 AM EDT
[#23]
9 minute quick wash. A little more time will polish to a better shine

http://youtu.be/ODp9yh1QhfU
" />
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 12:51:09 PM EDT
[#24]
I had to laugh out loud.  Not in derision mind you, I'm just amused at how the state of the art changes faster than I can build something.  Very cool!  The neat thing is the simplicity.  Anyone who knows me knows that simplicity is my #1 attraction for any tool.  Because of this new development, I'm glad I bought a Thumlers instead of making a super neat Bigdawg Special.  That project, though simple enough for an average projecteer like me, would have used up time I haven't been able find right now.  And I was waiting for another 7gal chlorine tablet container to empty.  (they have screw-on water tight lids, you know)

But this project is too simple not to do......but with a Thumlers working, I don't have to be in a hurry.

I'm wondering.........what if you could run 3 or 4 batches at once....you know, multiple smaller motors, multiple turntables, multiple calibers or head stamps  you won't have to separate again.

Also seems to me that this could be a perfect fit for some nice wood working....dryflash3.

Link Posted: 10/24/2013 1:30:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 1:55:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This is an interesting concept.

I am on the lookout for a motor, and motor shaft adaptor. The disc part and box will be easy.

But I'm in no hurry. Still have 4 dry and 2 wet tumblers that I use.

Should have mentioned in my previous post, by setting the "toggle", that means this thread will no go into the archives.
View Quote

You will want a motor that turns pretty slow (200-400 rpms) This is why I used pulleys and a belt. My first try was with a whirlpool bathtub motor. Turned so fast that the pins would just stay on the bottom, slower speed lets the pins get up off the bottom and clean the brass. Tractor supply is a good source for pulleys, belts, and shaft adapters.
HERE is the best deal on the magnets.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 7:42:21 PM EDT
[#27]
It looks like you use a lot less pins than for tumbling which is a big plus, as well as the time.

How do you determine the magnetic polarity and layout? Also, is there a specification/source for the pins?

Link Posted: 10/24/2013 7:46:33 PM EDT
[#28]
PanhandleAR

Those the same pins used in the rotary tumblers? How many lbs of the media are u using?
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:33:05 PM EDT
[#29]
The pins are standard from STM. I ordered the 2 lb refresher kit for $20. I probably used 1/4 to 1/2 lb, does not take much. If you put too many pins, the motor loads up and does not want to turn. Small primer cases do best with the old primers still in, pins get stuck in flash hole {side by side}. Large primer works best with primers out (pins stick in old primers like a dart). I just received some bigger pins .062, these are supposed to be a better size, I need to try them.
For magnet placement, you want to alternate polarity. Be very careful with these magnets they are very strong and will pinch the s!@# out of your fingers or anything else that gets between them. I used JB weld to glue them to the steel disc.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 9:18:23 PM EDT
[#30]

It’s a cool method but I think really only good for pistol brass.  

The thing to keep in mind is there are much less pins used with this method and there is a lot of heavy collision between brass which in the regular tumbler is soften with the significantly higher pin brass ratio.  The more collision there is between the brass, the more peening there will be for the opening in the bottle neck brass and this can cause problem for neck tension.  With the regular wet tumbler, we started using 2x the amount of pins i.e. 10 lb and this speeds up cleaning and minimize the peening.

Link Posted: 10/24/2013 9:51:17 PM EDT
[#31]
I have not noticed any problems with rifle brass, have been using this setup for a year with good results. I load 4 different rifle calibers with no signs of any peening or neck tension problems. I size my brass after cleaning, keeping neck tension consistent
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 10:11:43 PM EDT
[#32]
It's a well documented problem.......
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 10:15:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
9 minute quick wash. A little more time will polish to a better shine

http://youtu.be/ODp9yh1QhfU
http://<a href=http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o734/PanhandleAR/iphone090_zps6c53f1bf.jpg</a>" />
View Quote

Looks good, but I think you need more SS media or less brass.
How much SS media was in there?  

Also looks like the plate needs to spin faster, but it may just be the video.

What motor & pulley are you using?
RPM?

Link Posted: 10/24/2013 10:20:23 PM EDT
[#34]
how about these magnets... here
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 10:41:14 PM EDT
[#35]
I think the magnets need to be neodymium type rare earth magnets. The motor I used is from a old swamp cooler, I think it is 800 rpm. I tried it direct drive and it was way too fast. The pulleys are from Tractor Supply, Motor pulley is 1" and the other one is 5". Not sure what rpm this slows it down to, but you don't want it to turn very fast.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:25:25 PM EDT
[#36]
1:5 ratio means the RPM is divided by 5, so 800/5 = 160 RPM. Torque will be 5 times that of the motor at 800 RPM.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:42:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:58:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:16:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Any one else make one? How to they hold up?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top