Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2013 6:10:50 AM EDT
Do you have to size brand new Remington cases straight out of the bag when reloading?

THanks.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 5:51:12 AM EDT
[#1]
At the very least, check them in a case length/head space gauge.

You may find only a few out of a thousand really need resizing,

but I like to ensure consistent head space on all my brass and

size everything regardless if new, 1x, 2x, etc.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 3:58:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I asked this very question yesterday.  

I looked at the cases and you can see where the necks have been deformed from bouncing around in the bag.  

I did 100, .308 last night and they resized really easily.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:17:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Yes, all new cases should be sized.
View Quote

This^
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:53:52 PM EDT
[#4]
So the 2000 brand new Lake city 5.56 brass I just picked up... I have to resize all of them?  Does Lake City resize all their new brass before loading?
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:12:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Brand new brass should be sized correctly.  If they've never been fired, you don't need to resize them, but I've seen a lot of case mouths get dinged out of round during packaging and shipping.  I would definitely run an expander ball through the case mouths.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:21:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Brand new brass should be sized correctly.  If they've never been fired, you don't need to resize them, but I've seen a lot of case mouths get dinged out of round during packaging and shipping.  I would definitely run an expander ball through the case mouths.
View Quote

I don't know what point you tried to make, but you missed the target.  Plus, that belongs in General Discussion, not here.  AeroE

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:13:59 AM EDT
[#7]
All new brass, I run through the sizer, trim to length, and run a Lyman flash hole tool into the case, as several out of every batch, no matter what brand, will have a slight web of brass on one side of the flash hole from the manufacturing process.  As mentioned above, some case mouths will come dented, and I have found new cases very rarely are the same length, I trim them to 1.750".
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:32:33 AM EDT
[#8]
What's the point of full-length sizing brass that hasn't been fire-formed to the individual gun?
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 12:22:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I do
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 12:39:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes, all new cases should be sized.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 6:13:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes I do.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 6:31:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What's the point of full-length sizing brass that hasn't been fire-formed to the individual gun?
View Quote

To make sure it is Round.  It's a long way from the manufacturing plant to your door step.  New brass can be perfect as if it just came off the line, it can also have dings and dents, missing flash holes, plugged flash holes, etc.

Not only should new brass get a trip trough the sizing die it should also get de-burred and chamfered.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 6:33:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Only brass I would trust is Lapua.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 6:57:20 AM EDT
[#14]
I do, not so much because they require full length resizing, but because the case mouths may be out of round.  In order to straighten out the case mouths, you may as well just resize the whole case.  It takes the same amount of time and is all part of the same operation.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 8:10:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 8:34:36 AM EDT
[#16]
You should.

Most of the time the case mouths are dented and running them through the sizing die ensures all are sized correctly and the case mouths are kept uniform.

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 9:11:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Yes. I bought 5k of new lake city brass from midway a year ago when they had it for 100/k.

I pulled some of them out to load in a hurry for a precision rifle class. Long story short, the neck tension was all over the place which led to trash can accuracy. I ended up having to just shoot my lmt 308 instead.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 9:58:17 AM EDT
[#18]
New Lapua. in my experience, does very well with just using an expander ball, flash hole reamer and then I turn the necks. After that we go right to loading as we need a "stable" of about 600 fireformed brass before we can switch over to using ONLY fireformed brass at matches.  We have achieved EXTREMELY good results with this process. After fireforming we then add MANY additional steps as others have mentioned above. I don`t think I`ve found more than two or three dented cases from Lapua out of over 2000 we`ve used so far.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 11:09:28 AM EDT
[#19]
I just learned my lesson last week.  

Brand new bag of 100 Winchester 10mm brass.  All of them are a bit too big.  I loaded them before checking with my case gauge and they don't plunk.  Luckily my chambers are more forgiving and they plunk just fine in the actual barrel.

Lesson learned, I will at least check sizes before loading from now on.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 5:43:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Like others have stated today's bulk packed brass almost always come with dented necks.

I used to short size it to fix the necks in calibers that I didn't have a neck only size die for but readjusting dies is sometimes a PITA so now I just simply full length it.

Since going to this I have noticed that the neck is usually all that touches the die anyway.

So the way I see it is: It don't hurt and for dinged up necks it helps.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 7:15:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Do you have to size brand new Remington cases straight out of the bag when reloading?

THanks.
View Quote

Welcome.

No you don't have to size new Remington brass ( or any other NEW quality made brass ).

If there is any question, check the size by chambering a case.
Then after you load a couple of rounds, check the chambering to insure head space and reliable feeding.

eta: I load rifle cases with small neck dents - no problems at all with boat tail bullets.

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 7:31:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 2:42:14 AM EDT
[#23]
I do full case-prep on new cases, just like if I got 1x.  I take that back, I do full case prep on new brass with the exception of annealing, because I assume the mfr did that for me.  OCD is a bitch, I guess, but it helps ensure the most consistent cases.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 5:33:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I do.

Then I trim and debur before loading.
View Quote

You are trimming brand new cases?  
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 10:43:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 12:42:09 PM EDT
[#26]
I hate doing it but, I size and trim and debur all my new rifle brass

just size the pistol stuff tho, Toolhead is already set up to size in the first step on pistol anyway, on the 650
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 12:57:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Correct, after sizing.

Have you ever measured the case length on new cases?

If you haven't that's ok, I trim bottleneck cases every time I load anyway.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I do.

Then I trim and debur before loading.

You are trimming brand new cases?
Correct, after sizing.

Have you ever measured the case length on new cases?

If you haven't that's ok, I trim bottleneck cases every time I load anyway.

Yes, but I was shooting Lapua and didn't need to trim, or size.  I consider them GTG right out of the box.  
I've had a  couple of batches of IMI, REM, and WIN that a " few " could have used a little shave.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top