Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2013 11:12:23 AM EDT
Shot my Master Beta Chrony.  Just caught the back sensor but glass is broken and metal bent on one side.  Will it cost more than a new one to get repaired?
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 11:24:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Call them up, their customer service is most helpful.

Oh, and I found that my shot up Chrony was not worth the repair costs over buying the same unit used.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 11:37:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Pics or it didnt happen!
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 11:39:46 AM EDT
[#3]
good shoot

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 11:44:55 AM EDT
[#4]
We've all done it
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 11:59:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't feel bad.  

I shot my 15 year old chrony.

I was trying to use it at a public range, which is a real PITA.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 12:08:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt and the new chrony....
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 12:21:41 PM EDT
[#7]
RIP Chrony

Master Chrony Housing with Sensors (front and rear), rods and diffusers $69.95
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 12:41:00 PM EDT
[#8]
It wasn't all in vain.  I did get a few rounds over the sensors before I shot a tad low.  Trying the new .44-150 CEB Raptor bullets in a Timberwolf carbine.  16.4 gr of Power Pistol clocked 2022 fps.  If the accuracy is there I may have a new threat on the deer lease.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 12:44:23 PM EDT
[#9]
My roomie shot his twice in the same day.

First shot the antenna rods off, then put one right through the readout display.

He didn't listen to me about aiming his sub-compact XD.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:05:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Time to upgrade.
http://www.magnetospeed.com/
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:36:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm on my third, or is it my fourth, I forget.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:44:44 PM EDT
[#12]
One of the range officers at our club has shot one if these twice http://www.neconos.com/details12.htm

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 2:22:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Was charged only 10$ to fix my pro chrono that I shot.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 2:38:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We've all done it
View Quote

It's not a matter of if but when.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 2:50:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Shot mine first time out, only the diffuser rod which I had switched to wooden dowels. Replaced with another one from the range bag and kept on.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 3:13:19 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm always scared when I shoot pistols over my chrony.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:25:08 PM EDT
[#17]
I shot mine also. Have yet to replace it
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:50:45 PM EDT
[#18]
yup shot mine day one. I had fired about 10 rounds was getting used to it, decided to double - tap and see if it would measure both rounds. well...guess the tripod got loose cause the muzzle blast made the chrono flip upwards and next round went through it at an angle. Still usable believe it or not but shattered the plastic clear glass in the rear.

I like that magnetspeed one. maybe someday i'll get myself that one.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:36:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Shot mine first time out, only the diffuser rod which I had switched to wooden dowels. Replaced with another one from the range bag and kept on.
View Quote

That's what I did after shooting my first diffuser rod.  Changed over to really thin wooden dowels.  I haven't shot one of the dowels yet...but they won't bend and get stuck in the holders.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:54:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Popped mine the other day with a large caliber pellet.

First time for a hit to the chrony.

Still going and didn`t totally penetrate the metal.

If it would have been a firearm, things may have been different as far as functionality.

I have hit the fan rods before. The replacement cost for them was cheap.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:15:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:25:51 PM EDT
[#22]
I've hit mine, but it still works.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:46:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It wasn't all in vain.  I did get a few rounds over the sensors before I shot a tad low.  Trying the new .44-150 CEB Raptor bullets in a Timberwolf carbine.  16.4 gr of Power Pistol clocked 2022 fps.  If the accuracy is there I may have a new threat on the deer lease .
View Quote

Im betting you had one flier. Not sure of the deflection of a crony but it has to be alot.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 5:09:43 AM EDT
[#24]
I actually did fine with the 44 Mag Timberwolf carbine, it was a 10 inch contender barrel with a hot Federal 240 gr hollowpt that I pulled low.  SNAPPY!
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 5:15:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Man, you guys need to learn how to AIM.

I have never shot my Master Gamma Chrony; after years of use and thousands of rounds, many of them pistol rounds from everything from .44 Mag (scoped) to G26 and Beretta Tomcat.

Repeat after me:  sight picture, front sight, breathing control, squeeze............
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 5:55:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I have never shot my Master Gamma Chrony; after years of use and thousands of rounds, many of them pistol rounds from everything from .44 Mag (scoped) to G26 and Beretta Tomcat.

Repeat after me:  sight picture, front sight, breathing control, squeeze............
View Quote

Really? It has nothing to do with that. Its mostly the offset between scope and barrel that causes a hit. But it must be nice to be god and never screw up.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 6:40:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Actually I have never shot mine in about 500 rounds over it (all pistol).

However I do agree that it is like having an unexpected dismount on a motorcycle, it is not a matter of if but when.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 6:58:16 AM EDT
[#28]
I am keeping my mouth shut(no smack talk) for safety, I have had mine for about 7 years and probably a couple thousand rounds have been sent over it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 7:00:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Really? It has nothing to do with that. Its mostly the offset between scope and barrel that causes a hit. But it must be nice to be god and never screw up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay, so figure out the offset.  It's pretty Goddamn obvious.  Take a ruler and measure it.  Then make sure you account for that when you shoot over the crony.  BTW, the same concept holds for the offset for the raised irons on an AR15.
This ain't rocket science.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 8:06:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Okay guys, look, here are a couple of tips:

You want the bullet path over the Chrony to be about 3” directly over the sensors.  So, you have to ADD to that 3 inches, the height from the weapon’s bore to the front sight.  THIS VARIES FROM WEAPON TO WEAPON, scopes, raised irons, etc. all affect this measurement.

Once you have this measurement, set up your Chrony and using a ruler, measure the vertical distance you need above the Chrony sensors. Now, take a length of masking tape and string it level from one sun shade upright to the opposite upright at the height where you need to set your weapon’s front sight or scope crosshairs in order for a bullet to clear the Chrony sensors at 3”.  Tear the tape in half and wind each half around the corresponding upright.  Now you have a permanent reference point at each sunshade upright that you can use to establish your sight picture.

I do one better.  Depending upon where you live and what time of day you like to shoot, you may not need to use the sunshades.  I almost never need the sunshades.  So, what I do is replace the steel uprights with 1/8” dowel rods.  Guess what happens to the Chrony if you accidentally shoot a 1/8” dowel rod upright?   Nothing.  The dowel rod breaks, not the instrument.  I have marked off a black band on my set of 1/8” dowel rods (using a “Sharpie”) so I have a permanent marker on my uprights for use in establishing my sight picture.

Stop shooting your Chronies…that’s just too damn expensive.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 9:18:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Yup! blew mine apart too. The range where I am a member has a covered shooting area, benches with a apron out in front of it for prone shooting, so have to set chrony up under a cover, constantly getting error messages due to light conditions, was trying to get the bullet path over the sensors, and raised the chrony up incrementally till I tagged it. So my solution to not doing it again to my replacement is I take a target and glued it on a piece of cardboard 8X11. Depending on the sights I'm using I will either use the target long side vertically or horizontally. and either bore sight on the target [oh yeah - use clips and clip it to the second skyscreen supports - when I have it lined up remove the target] or use the sights. Also I sight in the downrange target first. This way bullet path is correct height and the sensors are lined up, One really big help to cure the error messages - I bought the LED sky screens - these babies really work, No more error messages.  Compared my beta master chrony to my friends Ohler, it's amazingly close, and now with consistent light conditions my std. deviations and ES are reading either single digits or low 10's.

Like I was told - THERE ARE THOSE THAT EITHER HAVE OR WILL SHOOT THEIR CHRONY
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 3:44:26 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

We've all done it

Not a Chrony, but yeah, it will eventually happen!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top