Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2013 7:29:08 PM EDT
For .40 s&w. to be shot from... a glock.
I figured they would survive at least one cycle, and I won't care if I lose them. If the few I loaded are successful, I may load a box full for those matches where I don't want to pick up brass.

Anyone else here brave and reload aluminum?
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 8:01:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I thought aluminum cases used berdan primers, and thus were much more difficult to find the proper primer for the case.

Did these aluminum cases have boxer primers?
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 8:25:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I thought aluminum cases used berdan primers, and thus were much more difficult to find the proper primer for the case.

View Quote

Ayup. Cci cases.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 10:26:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I do 9mm for matches when we can't pick up the brass
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 5:17:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Ayup. Cci cases.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ayup. Cci cases.

Be careful with that.  I've seen CCI aluminum cases with both boxer and berdan primers.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 7:13:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Be careful with that.  I've seen CCI aluminum cases with both boxer and berdan primers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ayup. Cci cases.

Made sure before I loaded. Otherwise, I couldn't have decapped them.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 12:15:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I would not be brave enough to load them, especially in an autoloader gun where some of the case is unsupported.
I've shot some CCI 45 auto aluminum cased stuff and found at least 8-10 of them per box with split mouths. If they're going to fail that much with a low pressure load like 45 auto, no way would i try it in a high pressure round like 40 S&W.

In a revolver I might think about it and have a little less worry.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 12:25:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I would not be brave enough to load them, especially in an autoloader gun where some of the case is unsupported.
I've shot some CCI 45 auto aluminum cased stuff and found at least 8-10 of them per box with split mouths. If they're going to fail that much with a low pressure load like 45 auto, no way would i try it in a high pressure round like 40 S&W.

In a revolver I might think about it and have a little less worry.
View Quote

Using aftermarket lone wolf barrel, and these are very light target rounds.
4 grains of American select.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 3:07:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I did it like 8yr ago over at Glock Talk.. fired them in G17 with factory barrel and in my M11/9 SMG (stainless barrel with std SAMMI chamber)

Topic been around here couple time this yr already.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 5:23:53 AM EDT
[#9]
I reload CCI aluminum boxer primed 9mm, 40 S&W, 45ACP, and .380.  I try and use "freshly fired" cases that haven't been sitting out the elements very long.  Cases last 2-4 reloads before there are case neck splits.  Haven't seen any aluminum boxer primed 38 spec or 44 magnum cases to reload.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 6:13:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I did it like 8yr ago over at Glock Talk.. fired them in G17 with factory barrel and in my M11/9 SMG (stainless barrel with std SAMMI chamber)

Topic been around here couple time this yr already.
View Quote

I thought I remembered you doing this before.   Most of them split after a cycle or two didn't they?
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 7:05:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I reload CCI aluminum boxer primed 9mm, 40 S&W, 45ACP, and .380.  I try and use "freshly fired" cases that haven't been sitting out the elements very long.  Cases last 2-4 reloads before there are case neck splits.  Haven't seen any aluminum boxer primed 38 spec or 44 magnum cases to reload.
View Quote

These came from an indoor range. Just figured I'd try some for a cheap throw away case that I wasn't concerned with.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 12:42:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Aluminum 45 acp was popular here for a while and I reloaded some as they use small pistol powder.  A light load and they make a great winter round you can shoot and not worry about picking up your cases in the snow.    Only good for a few reloads before the neck splits but nice to have especially if you run out of large pistol primers.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 12:24:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Aluminum 45 acp was popular here for a while and I reloaded some as they use small pistol powder.  A light load and they make a great winter round you can shoot and not worry about picking up your cases in the snow.    Only good for a few reloads before the neck splits but nice to have especially if you run out of large pistol primers.
View Quote

I just do that with the brass cases with small pistol primers
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 1:48:27 AM EDT
[#14]
I did some 9mm and shot them out of a CZ75 (fully supported chamber)

no issues whatsoever
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top