Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2013 5:49:07 PM EDT
I just got back from the range. I fired my very first rounds that i have ever loaded. I got to tell ya, that first one made me nervous, but after seeing that the gun didnt become a pipe bomb in my hands I calmed down. I loaded four batches of five rounds in order to see what the gun liked before I start to mass produce. Loading 55gr. Hornady soft point 5.56 w/c and Varget powder with cci no400 primers. I loaded a batch of 23.7gr, 24.6gr, 25.5gr, and finally 26.4gr. which my hornady book calls the max charge. All four batches performed equally well which brings me to my question. If you are loading 55gr. bullets for your AR, what charge do you like to go with? BTW..... I was nervous about using the No 400 primers due to the fact that I've heard stories of them being too soft and flatening. However, my primers show no signs of flatening or backing out. They worked great.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 6:16:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Go with the charge that groups the best.  Personally,  I like .5 increments to start to see what groups best,then find the best two and work in .2 increments.   So if 22 and 23 grains grouped the best, start .2 between the two.   Those are what grouped best for my powder.

If yours performed equally well, would you mind posting pictures of your groups?   I'd say save powder and go with the lowest best performer to save powder, case fatigue
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 6:17:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Congratulations!

I remember my first reloads
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 6:37:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Varget worked fine for me and so does Win 748, H322, IMR 4320 and CFE223 was ok but took a higher charge to cycle my rifles.

Glad you enjoyed your day at the range, rolling your own is very rewarding. What type of press are you using?

Link Posted: 7/26/2013 6:45:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 4:00:22 AM EDT
[#5]
As others have stated go with the one with the highest velocity AND best accuracy.

About your loads.
By your comments it appears to me that you used the Hornady manual and only the Hornady manual?  Nothing wrong with that, but it is always a good idea to get data from more than one source before you proceed.  The powder manufacturer's all have free online data.  

Hodgdon online data lists Start=25.5gr  and Max=27.5gr Varget 55gr SPR SP.  Knowing this, I would choose between the most accurate of 25.5 and 26.4 if you are done testing.  If you are not done testing I would test for accuracy , 25.5gr, 26.0gr, 26.5gr, personally I would continue testing 27gr and 27.5gr, but that just me, I also run with scissors.

Good Luck
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 4:00:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Making your own ammo is fun, ain't it !!
Gives you a big sense of pride.

In the beginning I had to go from the garage through the living room to get into the ammo storage room. I would show off my fresh newly made ammo to the G/F who was sitting there watching TV.
Me: Look at what I made, babe (huge beaming smile on my face).
Her: (hardly even glancing into the container) Yep, looks good.
Me:
8 years later I had to get rid of one hobby because it was too expensive...
I don't miss her very much.

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 4:24:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

In the beginning I had to go from the garage through the living room to get into the ammo storage room. I would show off my fresh newly made ammo to the G/F who was sitting there watching TV.
Me:

View Quote

My gf deprimes and sizes brass sorts it labels it tumbles it.

Congrats on your first loads. When I pulled the trigger on my first load. All I heard was click.:-(
I chambered it again and bang.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 5:18:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I know what you mean by "equally well" I had a similar experience with the 55gr Hornady FMJ. Unless you are a very skilled shooter or at least using a solid rest and 9x or higher scope it is sometimes difficult to tell which loads actually shoot better.

I like your load selection. Many waist time and components by loading in too small increments.

As far as "what load to go with" like the others said its really up to you. I found 2 accuracy nods for my parts gun. One low and one high. Both functioned perfectly. The rifle will be used for general plinking as in clay pigeons to 200 yards and a 12x12 gong at 300. I see no reason to use 3gr more powder for the same accuracy for this type of shooting so I went with the low load.

You have a really good start. (YOU'RE HOOKED !!!!!!!)
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 6:20:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Congrats on your first successful reloads, it is a great feeling.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 7:31:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Welcome to the addiction!

I find that shooting is fun, reloading is therapy.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 8:36:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Accuracy first assuming function is a given.

If for hunting or longer range work velocity next.

For fun plinking loads I go with the lighter charge  weight
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:27:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Since my wife learned how to use the kinetic bullet puller, I haven't had to use my collet puller.  Sometimes she comes looking for bad ammo to take apart and is disappointed if I don't have any that need to be taken down.

I haven't got her to the point that she's helpful MAKING ammo yet, but I'm working on that.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:24:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Since my wife learned how to use the kinetic bullet puller, I haven't had to use my collet puller.  Sometimes she comes looking for bad ammo to take apart and is disappointed if I don't have any that need to be taken down.

I haven't got her to the point that she's helpful MAKING ammo yet, but I'm working on that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like she has alot of pent up frustration!
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 5:19:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Me:

View Quote

Exactly!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top