Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2013 8:44:07 PM EDT
Looking at load data, Im seeing published loads that list 27.2gr varget.

My question is how do you load more powder than a case will hold?

Im not jumping to the hottest load or anything like that...

Is it that Varget isn't the best choise for .223?

Barnes lists a 62gr load @ 25.2gr min. / 27.2 max. Before I found this data, I tried 24.5gr, and the powder was crunching, and I was below the minimum.

If Im compressing the powder, at the low end of a load, would I be better off with a different powder?

Link Posted: 7/22/2013 8:45:52 PM EDT
[#1]
In for info on this.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 8:48:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Many published recipes show slightly compressed loads. A drop tube helps some with this, but you can stick with published recipes and get away without one most of the time.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:27:06 AM EDT
[#3]
If there is published data to support the charge, go ahead and crunch away.  Compressing powder is perfectly fine and preferred by many.  Varget is a good powder for the 223/5.56 and it performs very well when compressed.

As RRat has pointed out you can reduce the amount of "Crunch" by using a long drop tube.  It helps the powder settle in the case better.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:02:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

BING BING BING!!!

We have a winner!!!  

You can use a drop tube and get all the powder in there with no compression, but why not pick something that MAKES SENSE!
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:40:03 AM EDT
[#5]
There are good reasons for using Varget.  It's temp. stable, and it does provide very good load density.
I load 26.1 gr. using the Hornady 60 gr. SP, with an average MV of 3,100 fps from my 20" barrel.
Accuracy is right at 1 MOA, out to 300 yards.
I'd like to try Ramshot TAC, but it's disappeared from this area since the shortage began.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:00:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are good reasons for using Varget.  It's temp. stable, and it does provide very good load density.
I load 26.1 gr. using the Hornady 60 gr. SP, with an average MV of 3,100 fps from my 20" barrel.
I'd like to try Ramshot TAC, but it's disappeared from this area since the shortage began.
View Quote

There's way more downside than upside to Varget in .223.   Don't get me wrong... I love Varget.  It's just not easy for high volume match ammo.
I'm willing to use drop tubes and what not on magnum rifle ammo, but for .223???  Forget it.

You can get 3 other extrudeds that are temp stable and capable of sub MOA too...  Benchmark, H322, and XBR.  Any of those meter about as good as ball, and won't leave you compressing loads.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:28:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I used Varget in 223 for years. I now use XBR because of it's metering.

Compressed Varget is fine. I still use it for precision 308  and 30-06 rounds
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 12:20:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

There's way more downside than upside to Varget in .223.   Don't get me wrong... I love Varget.  It's just not easy for high volume match ammo.
I'm willing to use drop tubes and what not on magnum rifle ammo, but for .223???  Forget it.

You can get 3 other extrudeds that are temp stable and capable of sub MOA too...  Benchmark, H322, and XBR.  Any of those meter about as good as ball, and won't leave you compressing loads.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The question is where?  Where can these powders be found?  He has Varget, might as well use it cuz the chances of  finding any else are slim to none.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 12:43:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
 The question is where?  Where can these powders be found?  He has Varget, might as well use it cuz the chances of  finding any else are slim to none.
View Quote

Maybe...  Not sure about WA, but around here if you stop in Cabelas or Brunos or Sportsmans... you'll usually find something.  I mean.. you have to check in in the mornings... people are flocking to the ammo, but usually no one is waiting to see components.

A buddy and I bought four 8 lb jugs of H322 from Brunos two weeks ago.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:50:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks everyone for the input. Keep your thoughts coming.

I don't think I said its a 16" barrel, if that changes anything. 62gr +

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:11:39 PM EDT
[#11]
It seems odd, but load data for 16" barrels is hard to find.  This is where you find the excuse to get a chronograph.  I use a chrony, just because they're familiar, and it's what the store had.  Shooting Dynamics has one for just a little more that people like a lot.
While the difference between 16" and 20" is normally around 200 fps, with some informed development using slightly faster powders, you should be able to narrow that some.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:09:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Wanna see how much a drop tube can help with Varget ?

Thanks to "BobSeal223" !!

You can also attach the drop tube directly to your powder measure.... The longer the tube , the better the powder settles. There is of course a limit to the "settling effect".

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby=1&itemsperpage=42&newcategorydimensionid=11908

I am not a big fan of Varget in the .224 caliber, more trouble than it is worth trying to get it into the case.... but I love it in the .308, .458 cal.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:48:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Looking at load data, Im seeing published loads that list 27.2gr varget.

My question is how do you load more powder than a case will hold?

Im not jumping to the hottest load or anything like that...

Barnes lists a 62gr load @ 25.2gr min. / 27.2 max. Before I found this data, I tried 24.5gr, and the powder was crunching, and I was below the minimum.

If Im compressing the powder, at the low end of a load, would I be better off with a different powder?

View Quote

Are you confusing charge weight with case capacity?

One is not the other.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:08:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Varget has a lot of fans.....but I'm not one of them.
This doesn't mean that for some folks Varget doesn't work very well in their rifles; that may be.

Vhita Vuori N-135 also has a lot of fans....and I'm one of them.
In my rifles, N-135 does everything Varget will do and it does it better; equivalent accuracy with measurably better velocity across my chronograph.

And no compressed loads.

That's my suggestion; try N-135.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:39:37 AM EDT
[#15]
TAC would be a good choice instead of Varget if you don't like compressed loads.

I usually don't like compressed loads, but loading for my 6.8 SPC it seems to be pretty normal. So, I'm coming around to it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:05:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
TAC would be a good choice instead of Varget if you don't like compressed loads.

I usually don't like compressed loads, but loading for my 6.8 SPC it seems to be pretty normal. So, I'm coming around to it.
View Quote

Yup.  
TAC is real good, too.  Especially for the heavier bullets like the 69 gr. Sierra HTBT Match and the Hornady 75 gr. HPBT Match.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:34:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Nothing at all wrong with compressed loads. Varget shoots lights out in my .223AI, and even better when you cram it in there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top