Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2013 12:31:26 PM EDT
I'm picking up a new RL550B on Tuesday and Dillon 9mm dies.
I've been reloading on a Rockchucker with Lee dies for a few months now with great success and feel I'm ready to move up into the Dillon world.

Can you link to some good/better videos to guide me through set up?
Any ticks or things to watch out for with the RL550B?

Also, which powder meters best though the Dillon?
I'm currently using Alliant Power Pistol.  I also have a pound of TiteGroup.
I was thinking of switching to a ball powder like Win 231.

thoughts?
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 12:56:47 PM EDT
[#1]
There were a few videos I found on YouTube that helped me when I upgraded.

One thing I think the videos helped me with the most was the tempo, and order of operations.

I had in my head how I thought it should go, but watching someone else do it helped.

Link Posted: 7/21/2013 1:09:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Great choice on the Dillion 550b, I had gone the same route some years back. I use W-231 for my pistol rounds(.40 s&w and .45apc). It meters very well (consistantly) as ball powders do. There are lots of videos on Youtube just search Dillion 550, some good some bad. I found the best way to learn is to ask questions like on this forum. Have a mentor as I did (my brother ln law) with at least 30 years experience. And I still come here for more answers. You never know to much.
Good luck and Happy loading !  
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 2:10:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Just remember that TG is a low charge wt and low volume powder. You may want to be extra vigalent went using this powder....
PP with jacketed bullets is just a good choice.... W231 or it's Kissing Cousin HP38 are a do it all powder similar to Unique works for most cartridges...but does not turn in best perforrmace for each individual round...

May sure you have the press mounted securely! or you will have priming issues.  Just go slow till you get the hang of things! It is great upgrade for you!
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 4:12:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Dillon has an instructional DVD that I found to be very useful when setting everything up.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 7:19:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 3:44:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I use Accurate brand powder in my 550.  It's the powder that Dillon sells in-store.  Coincidentally, they also have the best prices I've seen on it in-store.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:04:45 PM EDT
[#7]
here she is!
My royal baby has arrived!

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:03:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:12:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Read the directions and you'll be loading in a couple hours. Love my 550! I use true blue from ramshot for 9mm, can meter +/-.02 gr or so all day with an accurate enough scale to verify. Good luck, pistol ammo really shines on the 550 (not that its bad for rifle either!)
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:11:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Watch out for your wallet... You will love reloading soo much with it you will spend all your money on components
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:31:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Congrats on you're 550B!

Check out my "Cheap Tips and Tricks for Dillon 550B and XL650 Presses". It may give you some helpful pointers.  

Also, my article, "One Man's Reloading Steps for Both the 550B and XL650 with Casefeeder" may be of some help too.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top