Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2013 4:42:43 PM EDT

I just return from a year long deployment and all of my reloading gear was stored at a buddies house in Rubbermaid boxes.

I set everything back up and clean all my dies before I tried to use them again.

I seem to be having a problem with my brass sticking in my carbide dies.

I put a little Dillion Case Lube on a q-tip and ran it around the carbide ring.

This worked for a couple of cases then I started having the issue again.

Any help would be great on this.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 4:46:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Just in your sizing die?  May have to run lubed cases.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 4:46:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I just return from a year long deployment and all of my reloading gear was stored at a buddies house in Rubbermaid boxes.

I set everything back up and clean all my dies before I tried to use them again.

I've had folks say you don't need lube with carbide dies......After 2 stuck casings, I still lube, just a tad but it still needs to be done.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 4:52:56 PM EDT
[#3]
You still should lube bottleneck cases IMO  Just use less of it:)  I even do it for pistol cases because it just makes everything smoother, less effort and more consistent.  Easier to feel when something is actually wrong.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:15:29 PM EDT
[#4]

This is on 9mm right now.

I've never had to lube before.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:36:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:39:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've had folks say you don't need lube with carbide dies......After 2 stuck casings, I still lube, just a tad but it still needs to be done.

Technically, you don't as in it won't f'k up the die. IN reality, if you don't want stuck cases etc.. you need to lube the brass...
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 6:59:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Your dies need to be dry. Clean them with a nylon bruch and good solvent. Hopes9 worksm then wipe them down dry. You may have something still crudding up the die and it can't hurt to clean them again.

I clean my brass with crushed walnut and add Dillon's shine product to it. It gets the brass shiney and has a slick feel due to the walnut dust and or the Dillon shine product.

Running the casings in my Dillon machine & dies has been no problem. Never added case lube for the 9mm.

I do case lube the .223 and other bottleneck casings :)
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 7:00:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 8:18:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Also, check your shell holder ... I have seen some that became damaged, where the "lips" that pull the shell back out of the die had gotten chipped ... it gradually worsens, until just about every case sticks.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 2:26:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

What brand of dies? RCBS

Headstamp of cases?Mixed

Method used to clean cases, and how clean/dirty were they?dry tumbled for about 3 hours

If dry tumbled, what media?lizard litter with flitz

Cases sit for a year in what condition?seat in a rubbermaid bucket with a top on it

I am going to retumble the brass before I try the next run on 9mm.

I will double check the shellplate tonight.

Press: Hornady LNL AP

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 6:01:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 6:03:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:05:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I assume it's pistol brass, if you're talking carbide.

Put your brass in a container, like a big plastic potato salad container [Cost-Co size]. Add a few drops of "GB Wire Lube". This is a water soluble wax lube for pulling wires through conduit etc. It dries up and isn't corrosive. I've actually used multiple coats of this in place of Lee Liquid Alox as a cast bullet lube. Anyway, shake up the brass, and you'll have tiny droplets of lube on the brass. Resize and you shouldn't have ant more stuck cases. GB wire Lube is cheap, about $7.00 for 500cc from a hardware store, and a little goes a long long way.
I think I read somewhere it was actually the base ingredient for Lee Liquid Alox, except the Lee product is cooked down GB lube.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:33:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 5:58:34 AM EDT
[#15]
RCBS dies may not need to contact the shell plate. Old instructions say to leave the thickness of a nickel between the shell holder & bottom of the die. Trying to size the web area may be the problem? How about a "Glock Bulge" in the brass?  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top