Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2013 6:15:26 PM EDT
I had heard mention in the past that Redding dies should be used for reloading 7.5 x 55 for the K31.  I thought it had something to do with the Redding dies being machined specifically for the K31 chamber dimensions, while all others were for any 7.5 x55 and may be a bit undersize and work the brass excessively.  Is this good info?  Or will RCBS dies work just as well?  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 7:24:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Dunno.  I have only used Lee dies for my K-31.  They work fine.  Doubt they are undersized, because FL resizing effort is moderate, and in line with .308 and other calibers.

I read the "Redding are best because of ...." threads.  But My K-31 keeps eating my Lee-made ammo...

Link Posted: 4/22/2013 8:18:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep.    Spend the extra for the Redding dies.

When I first got my K31, II bought the Lee set and tried to set it up to leave the shoulder alone and neck size only, but ran into the brass not wanting to chamber without a lot of effort.

The Redding sizer die I bought solved the issue and I'm a happy camper.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 8:26:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been using the RCBS dies for my K31 for several years with no complaints or issues.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:11:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Some years back there were a series of threads on the Swiss Rifles.com message boards about problems with lee dies.  I cannot recall the gist of the issues, but I bought a set of RCBS to replace my Lee and have had no problems.  Perhaps the threads are still in their archives and you can check them out.  Redding dies cost considerably more (although they are all too expensive these days) and in my view, diminishing returns set in above the RCBS level.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:21:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought a set of the Redding dies years ago and couldn't be happier.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 10:14:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I had heard mention in the past that Redding dies should be used for reloading 7.5 x 55 for the K31.  I thought it had something to do with the Redding dies being machined specifically for the K31 chamber dimensions, while all others were for any 7.5 x55 and may be a bit undersize and work the brass excessively.  Is this good info?  Or will RCBS dies work just as well?  

Thanks!

I have the Lee collet die set and an RCBS set. I mainly use the collet die because I load the 7.5 so much, I don't want to wear out my brass. Mine was loaded for High Power competition so I loaded and fired 85-90 rounds per month not counting load development and practice. The Lee dies were fantastic, but if I felt the need to full-length size, I'd use the RCBS. I'm sure the Redding work fine, but after having loaded a couple thousand 7.5's with other than Redding, I don't see a "need" for them.

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 2:38:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Most of the dies available are for the K-11 7.5x55. The Redding dies are for the K-31 7.5x55. The chambers are slightly different. Some may do fine with RCBS, etc. but your rifle may not. If you are going to be buying dies anyway for your K-31 just get the Redding.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:12:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Ive had no problems with the Lee dies
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:33:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the replies.  I looked around the web quite a bit tonight, and it looks like it's about a 50/50 split between Redding and everything else.  I also emailed RCBS about their dies, I think I will wait to hear back from them before I decide.  

Thanks for the help!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top